Car Enthusiast Thread

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Tony_N said:
were those the volvo 960's? i've always wanted a 960, that 2.9 liter six cylinder, ready to be turboed, and such a classy car inside, safe outside, and badass under the hood. i remember this girl i dated for a while in highschool drove a volvo 240 like the one the old geezer had in that movie, that thing was slow as shit. but i know a guy who works for this place here in town called austin vol-tech, and he has a turbocharged 960 that he's done a ton of suspension work to and that thing flies like it's nothing. always did like volvo.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
I drove a 5.0 CHP Mustang for 2 years in LA ,which was a total blast the whole time : ) Though I never fit all that well in it.

I think hands down the coolist patrol vehicle actually used bye any department I have ever heard of was Seal Beach Ca and their Saleen Mustang.

219016_12_full.jpg

Last edited:

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
Yeah, the state troopers still use camaros in speed traps on the northway (I-90) near me.

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
Dunno if i've ever really posted pics of my car before....so here goes, enjoy. Just washed and waxed her this weekend. Yeah I know the pics kinda suck, but my camera is shit and i'm not good at the whole photo thing.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Nakoruru said:
Dunno if i've ever really posted pics of my car before....so here goes, enjoy. Just washed and waxed her this weekend. Yeah I know the pics kinda suck, but my camera is shit and i'm not good at the whole photo thing.

I like it. You didn't do anything drastic with the car, but made it nice an unique. Though the lack of boot space would drive me insane.

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
Kim _Kaphwan said:
were those the volvo 960's? i've always wanted a 960, that 2.9 liter six cylinder, ready to be turboed, and such a classy car inside, safe outside, and badass under the hood. i remember this girl i dated for a while in highschool drove a volvo 240 like the one the old geezer had in that movie, that thing was slow as shit. but i know a guy who works for this place here in town called austin vol-tech, and he has a turbocharged 960 that he's done a ton of suspension work to and that thing flies like it's nothing. always did like volvo.

Not sure about them, besides the 240. Could be 740 or 760 or something?

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
Tony_N said:
Not sure about them, besides the 240. Could be 740 or 760 or something?
i dunno the 7's were front drive and there seemed to be a lot of rear wheels spinning out. might have just been the snow but i assumed 960 based on that alone. i'll have to look into it heh. prtsonally i love volvo anyone who doesn't is a weirdo

Tony_N

Astra Superstar
Kim _Kaphwan said:
i dunno the 7's were front drive and there seemed to be a lot of rear wheels spinning out. might have just been the snow but i assumed 960 based on that alone. i'll have to look into it heh. prtsonally i love volvo anyone who doesn't is a weirdo
Good point. But those seem little older than 9s though.

cafu1982

Krauser's Henchman
anyone hear seen this before?

seems like a gimmick. I don't see how it could replace inflated tires and their advantages. Also gives me the impression you'd get terrible MPG using these tires.

EDIT: probably a repost

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
cafu1982 said:

seems like a gimmick. I don't see how it could replace inflated tires and their advantages. Also gives me the impression you'd get terrible MPG using these tires.

The concept was around in '02 or so if memory serves me correct. They're a good idea, but not very practical i.e. if a rock gets jammed in the spokes there is a good chance you'll be driving on broken tines or the wheel will fail to deform properly and be similar to driving on a seperated tire.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
cafu1982 said:

looks pretty dumb. like magna said if something were to damage the integrity of said tires they'd damage the rim, the tire, and your alignment and well all sorts of other suspension issues. maybe coupled with an airbag suspension like the new citroen's have it could balance itself out incase of problems. but even so. seems like a waste of money.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
cafu1982 said:

yeah real old news, but i find it very intriguing. It will be near impossible to get them to work for high speed vehicles. I'd slap those on a golf cart any day tho.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i cant imagine how those would hold up to a hard launch.

neat though. put em on my lawn mower.

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
Driving around, I came across a dark blue Maybach today.

Nice car.

candycab

Vice's Love Slave
Magnaflux said:
The concept was around in '02 or so if memory serves me correct. They're a good idea, but not very practical i.e. if a rock gets jammed in the spokes there is a good chance you'll be driving on broken tines or the wheel will fail to deform properly and be similar to driving on a seperated tire.

Im pretty sure I remember reading about those as being the precursor to the "Run Flat" technology that is in use today.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
i'd love to see those tires try and burnout, or drift, or do any sort of motorsport. any team that uses those things would be in the pits a lot.

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
candycab said:
Im pretty sure I remember reading about those as being the precursor to the "Run Flat" technology that is in use today.

I think that was the general idea, yes. Run flat tires simply have a mega-reinforced sidewall which makes them a bitch to mount and dismount without destroying either the tire's bead or marring the wheel. Usually pressure sensors are mounted in the valve stem so to warn the driver of low tire pressure since looking at a run-flat doesn't indicate whether or not is really is flat. I've had some customers who bought run flats only to find they've been driving without air for a few days and destroyed a $150 tire.

For 100 years, we've been trying to get away from pneumatic tires to no avail. Everyone has had a flat tire and knows what a pain it is. I don't think a mechanical wheel is the solution, at least not one with exposed tines like this one. Perhaps one could be made with a covering to protect the tines and a flexible labyrinth seal to prevent water entry.

K_K

Honourary Irishman.,
20 Year Member
what is that? the new skyline? i hate test cars with all the black tape over everything. it's ghey.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Kim _Kaphwan said:
what is that? the new skyline? i hate test cars with all the black tape over everything. it's ghey.

I was thinking/hoping the same thing. The current Skylines are very meh in appearance

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
OrochiEddie said:
I was thinking/hoping the same thing. The current Skylines are very meh in appearance

if you mean the g35 then...? its the first good looking skyline ever. and this one just builds on that.

the r34 and older are just ugly ugly cars that go fast.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
if you mean the g35 then...? its the first good looking skyline ever. and this one just builds on that.

the r34 and older are just ugly ugly cars that go fast.
I do mean the g35. Car design is opinion, and I just don't like the g35 too much. Mostly because there is no hint of its predecessor in it. If they at least left the 4 circular tail lights I'd have said "alright fair enough" but not even that. I like the big bulky R34s personally, and I usually don't like boxy cars.