Car Enthusiast Thread

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Yeah, FWD just doesn't work in sports cars (or sports sedans), especially when they start getting 270 hp+.

Out of all the sports cars to buy right now, I like the WRX (260 hp + AWD), 370Z (330 hp).

That hp is just too much for the little MS3...they need to balance it better. Hell, they even limited boost in 1-2 gear AND detuned it form the MS6 setup and it still is nasty.

You gotta be in the WRX though...they just fall flat. No one reviews it well. The interior is shit, the current engines are prone to serious issues...I was far from impressed.

Watch the Top Gear on the new STi-vs-EVO X...they basically say the new STi is a joke compared to the EVO.

Truth be told I really wanted a EVo but the dealerships around here are simple wanting too much $$ for them.

Either way, I'm sticking to American V8's in the future. I don't drive on a track, I won't take it to the strip. The new Mustang is a thing of beauty inside and out...I'll probably get one of those in a few years.

LOVE the 370z BTW...but no back seat = can't buy...bummer.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
You gotta be in the WRX though...they just fall flat. No one reviews it well. The interior is shit, the current engines are prone to serious issues...I was far from impressed.

Watch the Top Gear on the new STi-vs-EVO X...they basically say the new STi is a joke compared to the EVO.

Truth be told I really wanted a EVo but the dealerships around here are simple wanting too much $$ for them.

Either way, I'm sticking to American V8's in the future. I don't drive on a track, I won't take it to the strip. Th new Mustang is a thing of beauty inside and out...I'll probably get one of those in a few years.

At least you know the Mustang will be around. I like the Camaro the most, but GM is really doing some weird shit financially. Same goes with Chrysler. I love the Challenger, but Chrysler has seen better days.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
I don't really know shit about boosted motors...with a stock flywheel of 263hp @ 14-15psi...what would I gain from the additional 2 psi I gained from the SRI/BPV combo?

Figuring most of my friends using superchargers are pushing no more than 10psi...I have to figure an extra 2 pounds is a good amount.

Force

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
20 Year Member
I like my 370z as well. It has some issues, but overall it's a fun car at a good price. Nissan really needs to do something about the oil heat shit though. My MT 370 hit 250 oil temps once and I wasn't even abusing it, and my automatic ranges from 220-230 running errands. There are other issues as well, like the drivers seat moving slightly during sharp turns (my mt car didn't do it, but my auto sure does), as well as the car needing special oil that nissan charged like $12 a quart for.

EDIT: Also, the vqs are known to burn thier fair share of oil. I lost probably about a quart during break in in my mt car, and I'm about to go check on my automatic to see how much it's lost.

Matt

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
$12 a quart?

get used to it. any nicer car is going to use expensive oil from now on.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
saw one in the wild the other day. looks great in person. its proportions make it look like a small car that was scaled up in size (due to the small overhangs, and tight proportions.)

my only complaint so far, its too tall.

thumb.JPG

more pics: http://eden.rutgers.edu/~notsonic/newcamaro/

Force

20 Year Member
Smokehouse, if i may, check out the 135i man. It was the car that came closest to the 370z that I cross shopped. Offers similar performance to the z and has a back seat. A tiny back seat, but big enough for kids. Only reason I didn't go with it was that it just a bit more than I wanted to spend, and it needs a few suspension mods to make it keep up with a z on the track. If had a bit more money, I would have gone with it for sure.

The mustang is a great car too. Makes good power, and the platform handles really well with a few cheap mods. Steering is a bit of an issue, but it's not horrendous. But I'm not a fan of the 2010 looks. I saw 2010 stang for the first time up close just yesterday actually. It's mostly the same, but uglier tail lights, and the new lines on the front end aren't as nice either.

Plus, i'm becoming automatic transmission pansy. Too many hills and stoplights around here, and daily driving a mt around here ends up pissing me off. The 7 speed auto in my z with the manumatic shit is a great substitute though. The mustang doesn't offer this. For this reaosn alone I'd probably count out the stang, but if you like manuals, I guess this doesn't impact you at all.

Matt

khyron

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
I don't really know shit about boosted motors...with a stock flywheel of 263hp @ 14-15psi...what would I gain from the additional 2 psi I gained from the SRI/BPV combo?

Figuring most of my friends using superchargers are pushing no more than 10psi...I have to figure an extra 2 pounds is a good amount.

You get about 8 hp for every 1 psi of boost. Give or take a couple of Hp depending on your environment (temp and elevation)

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Smokehouse, if i may, check out the 135i man. It was the car that came closest to the 370z that I cross shopped. Offers similar performance to the z and has a back seat. A tiny back seat, but big enough for kids. Only reason I didn't go with it was that it just a bit more than I wanted to spend, and it needs a few suspension mods to make it keep up with a z on the track. If had a bit more money, I would have gone with it for sure.

The mustang is a great car too. Makes good power, and the platform handles really well with a few cheap mods. Steering is a bit of an issue, but it's not horrendous. But I'm not a fan of the 2010 looks. I saw 2010 stang for the first time up close just yesterday actually. It's mostly the same, but uglier tail lights, and the new lines on the front end aren't as nice either.

Plus, i'm becoming automatic transmission pansy. Too many hills and stoplights around here, and daily driving a mt around here ends up pissing me off. The 7 speed auto in my z with the manumatic shit is a great substitute though. The mustang doesn't offer this. For this reaosn alone I'd probably count out the stang, but if you like manuals, I guess this doesn't impact you at all.

Matt

Personally, I love a manuals trans...

With that said I do eagerly await more paddle type or clutchless manual trans...the cars to do offer them simply have better timing than I ever will.

With the 2010 Mustang, it was the interior that got me...it's that nice. Coming from a Mustang background, they've had shit interiors for years...it's a good change.

I guess I'm looking for little complication in a car anymore. Fast but not insane, comfortable and nice on the inside. My 2001 GT was the best car I've ever had (sans the auto trans). It was a nice riding car and never had a single problem in the time I had it...not one. I can't say the same for the many other cars I've had.

Almost every performance car out there has issues...talk to some owners and you'll hear horror stories about factory defects...your 370z story is no exception. MS3 and WRX guys are popping their engines, GTO guys are dropping their rear ends, suspension...these are just a few...

...but newer Mustang GT guys on the other hand...they just run. I have many friends that are Mustang owners and save a few minor issues, the damn things just run.

I hope the 2010 will do the same...if so I'm going to get one, drive it, leave it stock and run the wheels off of it.

The 135i is over $30K right? A bit too much $$ for me at the moment. When/if I do get a 2010 stang...it will be a lightly used one lie the '01 I bought with 7K miles on it.

Last edited:

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
You get about 8 hp for every 1 psi of boost. Give or take a couple of Hp depending on your environment (temp and elevation)

Not bad then...10-14 hp gain is pretty safe to say.

I'm not doing much else with the motor...they pop to easily...#2 piston seems to explode...

Force

20 Year Member
Just checked my oil. Looks like I got lucky with the second car. Hasn't burned a drop. Now all I need is to get this blown out speaker fixed, and it'll be perfect.

matt

Force

20 Year Member
The 135i is over $30K right? A bit too much $$ for me at the moment. When/if I do get a 2010 stang...it will be a lightly used one lie the '01 I bought with 7K miles on it.

I priced one out at about 38k. I think base is 36.

matt

Twinkle Star

Benimaru's Hairdresser
The Lancer Evo X is too expensive to be honest that's why i prefer the Impreza WRX STI...Even the Ralliart 5 Door hatch is more expensive than the WRX 5 door hatch..

So far the most powerful FWD car that i've seen so far was the Focus RS...

BMW 135i Coupe??Yeah that one's great but its kinda expensive,maybe just buy a Mustang instead or a Genesis Coupe 3.8 V6...

Last edited:

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
I used to be terribly biased against FWD cars... until a rode a friend's BB6 5th Gen Prelude Turbo. That fucker's H22 2.2lt 4-banger is mated to a GT3071R turbo and produces 403whp @ 19psi -- and it's a daily driver, with full interior and shit.

Smokehouse -- your MS3's differential, is it an open diff or limited-slip?

LSD FWD cars are much more entertaining that open-diff ones.

now now. FWD has a place, just not for me.

you couldn't do this in RWD. I think it has been discussed a few weeks ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPCGnkApnDU

Wow

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member

Yeah, I've seen that episode. The biggest problem I have with the Evo is the reliability, as soon as they can prove to me that their car can be very reliable like a Subaru or a Toyota to be worth the Mitsubishi price tag then I'd pay it.

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member

Look up a book called "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. I think it may be possible to read it for free on Amazon (but not at all sure about that)
Gotta admit when I'm wrong...shouldn't have bought a FWD sports car...
daughter can climb in the seat, I'll look at the Camaro and Mustang at that time...probably the Mustang though as I'm not a fan of the Camaro looks and GM service.
Yeah, FWD just isn't meant to handle power like that.

Matt
I've got a buddy who was test-driving a lot of different cars, including the 135i, 370Z, and many others; the 135i was his favorite of the 4-seaters he drove.

For smokehouse's car, probably about right. Really, though, check out that book I mentioned, Maximum Boost by Corky Bell, to figure it out more exactly.

I used to be terribly biased against FWD cars... until a rode a friend's BB6 5th Gen Prelude Turbo. That fucker's H22 2.2lt 4-banger is mated to a GT3071R turbo and produces 403whp @ 19psi -- and it's a daily driver, with full interior and shit.
Smokehouse -- your MS3's differential, is it an open diff or limited-slip?
LSD FWD cars are much more entertaining that open-diff ones.
Wow
Wow... I bet that's kinda scary. Probably has torque-steer like nothing else. It's also a relatively heavy FWD "sports car" so it'd handle that kinda power better than some. Still, I would NOT want to see that Prelude with another 100hp in it.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
BMW 1 series are tiny tiny tiny. i'd almost rather drive a mini.

they look good in a picture, but anything that brings em to scale .... sooo teeeniey.

aria

Former Moderator
So I spend 2500+ miles over five days behind the wheel of a rented Nissan Altima. Since it was a rental it was probably the base-level everything. The car's standard sound system was terrible (the reason I picked it out from the lot is because it had a convenient AUX jack for my iPhone music --didn't realize the problem until I was already too far away). The car handles quite well at high speed, and I drove at 80-100 MPH for about 20+ hours (I was in the middle of nowhere in far northern Canada, no enforced limits). Honestly, I was not impressed by the car's interior features, they weren't particularly ergonomic, and I want to punch whoever thought it was a good idea to put a mirror-reflective surface around the gear changer that occasionally points the sun into your eye (not the first rental car where I've run into this). I put this car through hell and a few animals, and it did okay. It had the key-less ignition my previous Infinitis had, but it sometimes didn't start fast enough (I would've already shifted into R or D and that would kill any half-started ignition) --by far the most annoying issue. The turning radius was average, the braking was okay (but it did stop me short of a deer, so it's adequate enough). It had trouble moving from a parked position when some of the wheels were on snow (yes, this was last week).

I know the Altima isn't often the type of car that's discussed here, but since I got what amounts to an ultra-extended test drive, I thought I'd share the experience.

For reference, I'd say I'm a casual driver with experience with a large variety of cars. I rent about 10 cars a year and I've driven over well 100 difference cars in my lifetime... everything from a Hyundai Sonata to a 2008 Rolls Royce Phantom.

BMW 1 series are tiny tiny tiny. i'd almost rather drive a mini.

they look good in a picture, but anything that brings em to scale .... sooo teeeniey.

I sat in one when I was looking for a car a few months ago, mostly because it offered a soft-top coupe with four seats (or so...). the front seats feel just like the three series. I ended up going with the Z4 because I wanted to try something sportier, but I changed my opinion about the 1 for the better.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
nice review. I get a dozen or more rentals a year as well and thought about posting some quick overviews. Some are better than others. Pontiac g6 had excellent control, but could've used a bigger engine.

My biggest surprise has been the Toyota minivan( all they had ). I felt like i was driving a star trek shuttle. It's gigantic, but you have access to everything from the captain's chair. It was the perfect vehicle to work out of for a day. Plenty of space to use your laptop and lay out some files.

Some bad experience are more related to the rental place than the car.