Car Enthusiast Thread

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Lol. You USA fags have no idea how badly cars rust here. It’s completely different rules over here. Having a car live more than 15 years without some sort of treatment is a bloody miracle. It’s wet and saltier than your cunt for 5 months of the year here.

Plus, not everyone has a yard and/or garage to do this work themselves. Anyway I’m addressing the body panels, not the struts - which yes is a relatively easy job but for body painting I’m leaving that to a professional.
I have no space to store my current hobby car

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Look if you’ve done a respray at home to a good finish credit to you. But I don’t have the space and neither do I want my first attempt at it to be on a relatively nice car. On a rusty old VM Golf or something sure I’d sand that bitch down and give it a go with a rattle can and masking tape.

I would never spray body panels at home unless it was patina job or something. Flat black rattle can job for a beater maybe.

Painting a car seems like such a massive undertaking, its so transformative to the car too. Huge expense. Car will never be the same, evidence will always be hiding. Usually seems to fail just a few years in. I dunno I will overthink my way out of proper body paint just about every time.

My sc430 actually has a bunch of hangar rash flaws, subtle stuff that took time to find. I am considering having it addressed as its probably just a few thousand at this point. But honestly its really helped me just start driving the car and stop babying. May as well put the wear on. Use it like a car as no one else really has driven it the last 20 years.

Oh and I curbed a wheel a few months back avoiding an accident :cautious:

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
No joke but I was considering getting a later (2006 onwards) SC430 if I sell my sell my 996 later this year. My 996 has done alot of miles and is in great health at the moment but I don’t think my good luck will last forever.

A V8 hardtop convertible like the SC430 or a Jag XKR (soft-top) sounds like alot of fun for the 2 weeks of summer we actually get over here, or for a European road trip. Will see when the time comes.

Apparently the later SC430 models have improved handling, and a minor facelift so minor infact I’m not even really sure what it is. And better sat nav, but who the fuck is using lexus maps in 2023 when we have google maps on our phones.

Last edited:
If you have any questions about em, feel free to pm me. Ive owned a fair share of old lexi and am happy to talk about this car. Best thing I can point you at the is Club Lexus forums. Super amazing community of detail oriented toyota boys. They are a massive benefit to owning an old lexus.

Off the top of my head: the facelift is a grill and lights.

The improved handling is just different struts from what I remember.

Big difference is the transmission and the shifter between the two gens

And I think there may be some strong reasons to not buy the last year?

Something like 50% of the ones sold were first two year of production so thats why you find those so often.

Last edited:

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
If you have any questions about em, feel free to pm me. Ive owned a fair share of old lexi and am happy to talk about this car. Best thing I can point you at the is Club Lexus forums. Super amazing community of detail oriented toyota boys. They are a massive benefit to owning an old lexus.

Off the top of my head: the facelift is a grill and lights.

The improved handling is just different struts from what I remember.

Big difference is the transmission and the shifter between the two gens

And I think there may be some strong reasons to not buy the last year?

Something like 50% of the ones sold were first two year of production so thats why you find those so often.
Appreciated, I’ll fire you a pm later in the year if I go down the SC430 route. I’ve got a summer trip planned around the NC500 in July with the 996 and then I’ll decide what to do next.

Some pics of ‘Shite in the Park’ from last weekend.

IMG_5466.jpeg
IMG_5467.jpegIMG_5468.jpegIMG_5469.jpegIMG_5470.jpegIMG_5472.jpegIMG_5473.jpegIMG_5474.jpegIMG_5475.jpegIMG_5476.jpeg

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Looks like a Capri, I'm curious about the Lotus it's looks pretty tame and I can't place it.

Edit: I keep wanting to say Esprit but it just doesn't look right.

Anyway, our little car cruise starts in a couple weeks. Weather sucks at the moment hopefully it will be nice by then.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
what ford is that in the first pic? i love shite cars.

Yeah it’s a Ford Capri Mk3, 1.6 litre (poverty spec). Owned by a young chap about 19/20 years old. What a cool thing to have as a first car.

Looks like a Capri, I'm curious about the Lotus it's looks pretty tame and I can't place it.

Edit: I keep wanting to say Esprit but it just doesn't look right.

It’s an ECLAT!

lithy

20 Year Member
It’s an ECLAT!

Huh went looking at couldn't find an Eclat that looked like it, but going a little further, it looks like an early Excel which was based on the Eclat. Specifically the ducts/louvers behind the headlights is what I couldn't match up with anything. I don't think I've ever noticed that model before.

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
Glad you guys enjoy. Please post some pics of your USA gathering this summer - love to see some old muscle cars and V8s.

Here’s a massive Bentley Mark VI Justine I saw parked outside a fancy hotel last weekend too.

IMG_5487.jpeg

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
I drove this today:

View attachment 65433

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

Chrysler Pacifica? I rent one of those every family vacation. Haha
You've got to admit, it's comfortable and roomy. I can really put that seat back a ways without disturbing the kid's legs.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Chrysler Pacifica? I rent one of those every family vacation. Haha
You've got to admit, it's comfortable and roomy. I can really put that seat back a ways without disturbing the kid's legs.
If I'm honest, it was fine in a 'oh, this is a generic car' kind of way. And it was indeed big. If I was to distill the main differences between US and Euro cars in my eyes I would say you get a lot of toys for your money in US cars, plenty of features for low spec money. The flip side is the interiors on US cars are a decade behind. Nothing ties in, seas of crappy plastic. Nitpicking though, cars at the lower end have become a commodity, they're just the same shit with a different badge.
Wtf is that doing in the UK?
It was here for a film shoot apparently. I'm presuming a scene they wanted to pretend they were in the US for without actually having to go to the US. It probably wasn't the next fast and furious.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Nothing beats a minivan in transporting kids/people and cargo. I have had 2 Honda Odysseys and their utility is better than 99% of SUVs. Unfortunately marketing has brainwashed people into thinking AWD/4WD is a necessity for grocery shopping.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
This makes me miss my 85 monte carlo SS. Saw it today, dude wouldnt even park it, i would not either. I gotta get my 84 truck a bit more tricked out so i can spit on society. Need to lower it, and get 2X15 mounted in the front of the bed. Its not up to par yet with my old ride, but it made me miss the cockiness this dude was presenting so fucking much. He walked out, put it in reverse, swung a 180, shifted forward and ROARED out of the parking lot.

Attachments

• IMG_5664.jpeg
    IMG_5664.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5665.jpeg
    IMG_5665.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5666.jpeg
    IMG_5666.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 8

lithy

20 Year Member
PXL_20230518_211446963.jpg
PXL_20230518_211457760.jpg

Stripped and cleaned the years of general grime, should have taken some photos at the beginning. The bumper can come off sometime later, not worried about it right now.

I swapped out that fuel plumbing gasket and frame, the original had completely rusted and was quite the bear to get one nut and one bolt out but I managed to do it without breaking anything except the rusted part. Also added the relay for a rear defrost (either hardtop or glass soft top window) if I ever go that route I'll have it in place.

Pretty much ready to put stuff back in, you can see the original car color (Montego Blue) and the repaint color (Emerald Green).

lithy

20 Year Member
PXL_20230519_003024878.jpg

Put the outside back together while I had daylight but then got called off to something else anyway. Replaced the gaskets on the taillight and license plate light assemblies (can do the third brake light gasket later), new rubber washers and plastic clips for the finish panel mounting hardware, and added the Mazda badge. Car was debadged when I got it, but I like badges. Would have come with a red script 'Miata' badge on the left, but still deciding what to put there and it just sticks on, so no rush. Probably put the trunk interior together Sunday.

lithy

20 Year Member
Well, found some time today, so even though I don't have all the plastic fasteners yet, everything is in the trunk now.

PXL_20230519_210604803.jpg

lithy

20 Year Member
PXL_20230521_000933454.jpg

Saw this Saturday night, soft spot since my first car was a gen 2 Taurus. This is a 94 or 95 with just 67k miles. Pretty base model car but pretty amazing shape for Pennsylvania.

Then, today was the car cruise at the drive-in. I didn't take pictures of everything, just a few things that stood out to me.

PXL_20230521_212008477.jpg
71 GTO

PXL_20230521_221919973.jpg

Hemi Cuda

PXL_20230521_221611761.jpg
PXL_20230521_221854620.jpg

Factory Five Shelby Daytona Coupe replica

PXL_20230521_223847113.jpg
Model A hot rod

Then did some driving after the show and followed this 66 Lemans around for a while.

PXL_20230521_230113725.jpg