Chart to help choose the right Neo Geo Multi Cart

SSS

neo retired
the multicarts are buggy POS. games lock, most are hacks, sound stops working n certain games. better off with a j-pac and throwing a cheap computer in your neo cab.

westtrade

Overtop Pathfinder
10 Year Member
I own one multi cart and at first I thought that most of the games on it was buggy because most of the games on it would freeze or restart randomly. I was playing the cart on my AES though a MVS converter.

A week later I was able to get a 1 slot MVS board and tried the cart again. All the games that had crashed or restarted randomly now worked perfectly. After doing some reading if found on that this is a known issue and some boards (AES or MVS 2, 4, 6 slot), just have a problem playing some multicarts. So, its not always the ROM on the cart that is bad.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
No but if you own the real mvs game and compare it to the Multi cart version, as I have on numerous games, you will notice sound issues & other bugs.

The real thing is better!!! the multi's are convenient:loco:

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
I own one multi cart and at first I thought that most of the games on it was buggy because most of the games on it would freeze or restart randomly. I was playing the cart on my AES though a MVS converter.

A week later I was able to get a 1 slot MVS board and tried the cart again. All the games that had crashed or restarted randomly now worked perfectly. After doing some reading if found on that this is a known issue and some boards (AES or MVS 2, 4, 6 slot), just have a problem playing some multicarts. So, its not always the ROM on the cart that is bad.

I have a 4 slot, and the 120-in-1 is not buggy at all.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
I was thinking of something. Could it be that i can't select games on my 120 in 1 since it needs to have coin credit to do so? Would I have to install the Unibios to put credits?

You have to set the cabinet to free game select mode if you are running the cabinet in free play mode.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I agree that some of the older Multis are buggy, but the 120 is not buggy at all.

Good to know, I'm still waiting to test the 138 I have.

Waiting on other's to build a supergun get's annoying.:angry:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Originals or bust.

Fuck multicarts and fuck people who don't use multi-quote for 3 answers.:smirk:

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
So are you opposed to the existence of multi-carts? Or you just don't like them for yourself?

As long as they don't ruin existing working games to create them i have no problem of them being around.There's worse things in the world.
I just prefer the originals,just feels different.I only dislike those who bought a multi-cart and then start complaining about it being buggy at $1,- a game:annoyed:
Trust me mvs is not too expensive and you will enjoy it a lot more then a multi-crapcart:D

SSS

neo retired
official MVS cab - check
official MVS hardware - check
official MVS software - uhhh, guess I'll take the easy way out here. fuck it.

Multi Cart

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
As long as they don't ruin existing working games to create them i have no problem of them being around.There's worse things in the world.
I just prefer the originals,just feels different.I only dislike those who bought a multi-cart and then start complaining about it being buggy at $1,- a game:annoyed:
Trust me mvs is not too expensive and you will enjoy it a lot more then a multi-crapcart:D

I got the multi-cart mostly just to fill in the gaps until I get the original MVS versions of my favorite games. Overall I don't think it is buggy, the main annoyance is all the rom hacks on the cart littering it, much like NES multi-carts.

One game for example is KOF 2004, which was never on the MVS. It flashes romman.net in the upper right during gameplay, was this a rom hack or a homebrew?

I find Billy Pitt's list more useful than the Wikipedia list of games.
pittlist.gif

I can't understand why people would say emulation is better than a multi-cart. Emulation is never quite true to original, whereas if you are playing a multi on original hardware, and the rom isn't hacked, it plays just like the original.

Does anyone know if the Multis use compressed audio that is lower quality than the original? That would be a reason to get the original (which I plan to do for my favorite games)

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
Why

I got the multi-cart mostly just to fill in the gaps until I get the original MVS versions of my favorite games. Overall I don't think it is buggy, the main annoyance is all the rom hacks on the cart littering it, much like NES multi-carts.

One game for example is KOF 2004, which was never on the MVS. It flashes romman.net in the upper right during gameplay, was this a rom hack or a homebrew?

pittlist.gif

I can't understand why people would say emulation is better than a multi-cart. Emulation is never quite true to original, whereas if you are playing a multi on original hardware, and the rom isn't hacked, it plays just like the original.

Does anyone know if the Multis use compressed audio that is lower quality than the original? That would be a reason to get the original (which I plan to do for my favorite games)

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
And Tighe just so you know ratson's like the coolest, mellowest guy here...except for the multicart issue! Even then, he's only looking out for you:D

Phyeir

My only regret is that I have... Boneitis!
None. There, decision made.

And I do understand the point of getting a multicart to stop the swap out for visitors. Kids are spastic when they see a crapload of games in one place they can play, if you can just put in one thing and say have at it, I'm for it.

But I wouldn't buy a multi even for that, because I'm not letting my cash change hands on that.

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy

pittlist.gif

Tighe

Cheng's Errand Boy
And Tighe just so you know ratson's like the coolest, mellowest guy here...except for the multicart issue! Even then, he's only looking out for you:D

I know, if figure for $90 you can't go wrong. At least it helps me narrow down which carts I want to get for real.