Covid-related food rationing and shortages

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Hi all,

Just got back from Target and they’re limiting the number of canned goods you can buy at 8. This is in MN. Anyone else (particularly in the US) having their Walmart’s/Target’s doing this? Never thought this kind of thing would happen here.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Hi all,

Just got back from Target and they’re limiting the number of canned goods you can buy at 8. This is in MN. Anyone else (particularly in the US) having their Walmart’s/Target’s doing this? Never thought this kind of thing would happen here.

Only limits we have here are on cleaning supplies and toilet paper.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
It's a trick to make you buy 8.

Works every time.

NightWolve

NEST Puppet
Hi all,

I drove to Walmart last Saturday, first time since the virus disaster happened, saw a long line of masked individuals standing outside the entrance doors in the cold, said f*ck this, promptly aborted the idea...

They're limiting the number of shoppers inside, not just particular items that were subjected to panic hoarding...

My favorite local grocery store that I rely on has placed an item limit of 2 per customer for bread, toilet paper, baking flour, laundry detergent, etc. Anything that was targeted for hoarding naturally.

I was hoping the toilet paper bandit phenomenon - panicked shoppers running around raiding the stock/supply - was just something I saw on TV, somewhere far off, but nah, they struck here too... There's more than one kind of virus people can catch.

May we live in interesting times...

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Eggs and milk is the only limit here in the Northwest. No limit on can foods but usually there are not that many left. i like to stock up on canned Tuna & Spam. Last time all the Spam was sold out, only left was Tuna in water.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The restrictions are different every time I go to the store, which has been every 2 weeks or so since March. Walmart finally had some paper products today. Still no hand sanitizer but my wife hoards household/cleaning supplies even when there isn't a pandemic so we're probably good for the next 6 months anyway.

At least most people are wearing masks now and following the distancing guidelines. Seems like it's best to go early in the morning before most people roll out of bed. Grocery shopping isn't fun at the best of times but I'd rather deal with it than live off packaged goods for weeks on end.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Went to the store this past Saturday. I hadnt been in just over three weeks (learn to cook you fuckers) - though by the last week i was out of fresh produce, meh - frozen is OK.

I didn't see many restrictions. Did see it on some shit i never buy (cup of noodle) and of course there were strict limits on paper products.

There is no actual shortage of food, it's fucking panic buying cocksuckers who are simply going to let the food rot.

Where the hell do i even buy a mask?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Went to the store this past Saturday. I hadnt been in just over three weeks (learn to cook you fuckers) - though by the last week i was out of fresh produce, meh - frozen is OK.

I didn't see many restrictions. Did see it on some shit i never buy (cup of noodle) and of course there were strict limits on paper products.

There is no actual shortage of food, it's fucking panic buying cocksuckers who are simply going to let the food rot.

Where the hell do i even buy a mask?

No need for a mask if you have a spare CRT!

tv man.jpg

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Food is currently just in a big state of flux with a huge amount that was produced for wholesale markets now trying to get into the retail space,it will take some time, large scale operations can't shift gears that quickly. More retail grocery sales because more people are at home more often, more meals at home, etc. There is no shortage but it might be worth looking in different places. Here there is a GFS Store which is a retail side for Gordon Food Services a wholesale food company. Also in town our Restaurant Depot (a previously wholesale only kinda place) has opened its doors for retail sales. With restaurant sales down a minimum of 50% due to carryout/delivery only restrictions, and some outright closed, the food is there, a case of chicken wings is literally half the price for us than it was 6 months ago, but it won't have a cartoon chicken on the package.

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
8 sounds like a lot but for people who can’t cook like me and live off Chunky Soup and canned vegetables this is a real hardship, lol.

Many of them can almost act like a condensed soup.
Depending on the flavor you can add rice, pasta, potatoes, frozen mixed vegetables and easily turn them into 3-4 servings.

Here there is a GFS Store which is a retail side for Gordon Food Services a wholesale food company. Also in town our Restaurant Depot (a previously wholesale only kinda place) has opened its doors for retail sales.

There's GFS a few streets away from me. BITD it used to be open to the public, wasn't too impressed with it. Guess I'll go check it out again if I need stuff and can't find it next time I go shopping. NPR was talking about this last week. Many of them also carry bulk paper and cleaning supplies.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You men eat your dinner, eat your pork and beans. I eat more chicken than any man ever seen.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
During the first two weeks of the lockdown, it was quite difficult over here to get toiletpaper and pasta, we had to improvise a bit, but after five weeks the panic buyers are getting less and less. Most supermarkets limit tp to one pack per person and purchase, other than that there are no other lmits.

There are no real shortages, it's just a problem of distribution.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
During the first two weeks of the lockdown, it was quite difficult over here to get toiletpaper and pasta, we had to improvise a bit, but after five weeks the panic buyers are getting less and less. Most supermarkets limit tp to one pack per person and purchase, other than that there are no other lmits.

There are no real shortages, it's just a problem of distribution.

I'm sure people won't riot until y'all run out of sauerkraut.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Preppers don't look so stupid now, do they?

image.php

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Preppers don't look so stupid now, do they?

They do because of their fetishization of preparedness. If you’re prepared you’re prepared. Keep that shit on the down low though. Otherwise the raiders will know who to murder-rob once we settle in for the nuclear winter.

Shackleford

Banned
They do because of their fetishization of preparedness. If you’re prepared you’re prepared. Keep that shit on the down low though. Otherwise the raiders will know who to murder-rob once we settle in for the nuclear winter.

burtgummerreal1.jpg

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Burt Gummer sure as hell didn’t advertise that he could arm and supply an infantry platoon for a month in the field.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The world is out of Flour just as I was getting next level in my bread making.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
The world is out of Flour just as I was getting next level in my bread making.

Raise your wheat fields to Level 4 and max out the steel pitchfork upgrades on your garden gnomes. Fusing your oven with lower level appliances is optional, but shortens the cool down time on the baking burst specials. Also take advantage of the traveling merchant's premium upgrades and recipe blueprints, but keep lots of toilet paper on hand to haggle the prices down.