CRT Fetish Thread

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So Im thinking aboit picking up a sony pvm 1910 locally as a backup monitor. Is it a good monitor and how much should I spend?

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
That 20L2 is a good monitor. It's pretty new as far as PVMs go, less age on the parts and probably fewer hours of use than a comparable 20M2U. It's the "low-end" RGB monitor of the L series, but still fantastic for 240p gaming. It won't have the thick scanlines and invisible to the eye TV lines of high-end PVMs. For some that is preferable because it yields an image that is more arcade-like.

So Im thinking aboit picking up a sony pvm 1910 locally as a backup monitor. Is it a good monitor and how much should I spend?

30-year old monitor. Probably blurry from very worn out caps and in need of manual geometry and convergence adjustment (certain it has no on-screen menus). Still a good chance it looks nice so bring some gaming hardware and decide for yourself when testing it out. I know these old sets have very low TV lines but I'm not sure how that affects 1990s-2000s games with finer graphic details and text legibility. Old PVMs like that also have a weird RGB connector that needs an adapter to plug in scart cables. This is not a big deal because you would still need an adapter if it was a newer PVM with standard BNC inputs, it's just that the BNC adapter has more uses. This is the adapter you need: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm/sony-pvm-scart-converter

I would try not to pay more than $30, but that's just me. You may well feel it's worth $50 or more based on what you see with your eyes.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yea, I think Im going to pass on it than. Was looking for something that old.

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Just got home with my PVM-20L2...

My scart to rgb bnc (Retro Gaming Cables) should arrive in about a week and a half. Then it's on!

Nice scoop!

One of my spare RGB monitors is a 20L2 that I picked up a couple years ago. While not being the sharpest of monitors, it still has a damn fine picture on it.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
That 20L2 is a good monitor. It's pretty new as far as PVMs go, less age on the parts and probably fewer hours of use than a comparable 20M2U. It's the "low-end" RGB monitor of the L series, but still fantastic for 240p gaming. It won't have the thick scanlines and invisible to the eye TV lines of high-end PVMs. For some that is preferable because it yields an image that is more arcade-like.

30-year old monitor. Probably blurry from very worn out caps and in need of manual geometry and convergence adjustment (certain it has no on-screen menus). Still a good chance it looks nice so bring some gaming hardware and decide for yourself when testing it out. I know these old sets have very low TV lines but I'm not sure how that affects 1990s-2000s games with finer graphic details and text legibility. Old PVMs like that also have a weird RGB connector that needs an adapter to plug in scart cables. This is not a big deal because you would still need an adapter if it was a newer PVM with standard BNC inputs, it's just that the BNC adapter has more uses. This is the adapter you need: https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/sony-pvm/sony-pvm-scart-converter

I would try not to pay more than $30, but that's just me. You may well feel it's worth $50 or more based on what you see with your eyes.

The PVM 1910 has standard BNC inputs. I just picked one of these up recently and I'm pretty happy with it. It shines with older low to mid 90s systems, particularly the SNES. Dreamcast over RGB even looks pretty damn good in my opinion, but an older monitor like this isn't going to compare to the tri sync PVMs that were available in the early 2000s.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Was there more than one PVM-1910? All the ones I've seen and similar old PVMs with the different shell have that same RGB connector. Here are two currently on ebay with the same inputs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-Trinit...910067?hash=item1c5c7efb73:g:o7AAAOxyCGNTNILt
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-PVM-1910-19-COLOR-VIDEO-MONITOR-S-N-4656-/180925520539

Images of the inputs:
s-l1600.jpg

588669858_tp.jpg

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Was there more than one PVM-1910? All the ones I've seen and similar old PVMs with the different shell have that same RGB connector. Here are two currently on ebay with the same inputs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-Trinit...910067?hash=item1c5c7efb73:g:o7AAAOxyCGNTNILt
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SONY-PVM-1910-19-COLOR-VIDEO-MONITOR-S-N-4656-/180925520539

Images of the inputs:
s-l1600.jpg

588669858_tp.jpg

That's the PVM-1910 indeed. No need to use the CMPTR jack, just use the BNC inputs as shown in the first pic.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Wow, I thought those were composite inputs and whatnot with the way they are spaced out and separated into individual boxes!

Do you have any pics of games running on it? I have a BVM but I'm interested in finding a good monitor with lower or different specs, although not necessarily worse like a crappy CRT television. Something with a distinctly unique look from the usual sharpness and thick lines of the last Sony pro monitors.

Last edited:

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Wow, I thought those were composite inputs and whatnot with the way they are spaced out and separated into individual boxes!

Do you have any pics of games running on it? I have a BVM but I'm interested in finding a good monitor with lower or different specs, although not necessarily worse like a crappy CRT television. Something with a distinctly unique from the usual sharpness and thick lines of the last Sony pro monitors.

I don't have a great camera, but I'll see if I can take a decent shot or two.

papierkorb

New Challenger
Loving all these CRT-Beauties...
I got:
a CRT in my Astro City Cab,
a 6" Sony PVM
a 9" Sony PVM
a 14" Sony PVM
a 21" Sony PVM...
(adding photos soon)

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
Loving all these CRT-Beauties...
I got:
a CRT in my Astro City Cab,
a 6" Sony PVM
a 9" Sony PVM
a 14" Sony PVM
a 21" Sony PVM...
(adding photos soon)
Two of those from my stash :D 2130QM and 6042QM.
I have four monitors still here.
BVM 20F1E
BVM 14F5E
PVM 20M4E
PVM 9044QM

And the New Astro City with Toshiba Tube and Nanao MS9 Chassis (which has to be setup properly).
The 20F1E is my favorite so far.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 6 mit Tapatalk

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
I picked up a jvc dt-v1910cg this past weekend. It only came with the RGB/component card, so i may just use the for my supergun setup. For now i have my consoles connected to it, and so far so good. I have only came across 2 issues. One is with my PC duo R. I think its a sync issue but i'm not sure. The screen image bends a bit at the top left and right of the screen. Also when vertical scrolling it looks like the screen is rolling in the content. The other issue is with my gamecube. I have a SCART cable connected to it, and i get no color. heres some pictures.

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Where did you get the JVC DT-V1910CG? I was interested in getting one if it were not too expensive.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Over the weekend I got my scart cables for my supergun, SNES, and Genny and I got my scart to bnc cable for my SONY PVM 20L2...
I don't have a fancy camera, but the pix came out okay. I'm very happy to finally have this monitor in the gameroom. I've been drooling over the PVMs for years!

munchiaz

Robert Garcia's Butler
Where did you get the JVC DT-V1910CG? I was interested in getting one if it were not too expensive.

I found it locally for $200. The guy upgraded to a SONY BVM, and thats why he sold it. He was actually going to just sell the RGB card online because i guess you can get like $150 for just the card online. So i lucked out.

Also, I was confused about the gamecube picture. I could have sworn it worked on my Sony PVM, but i remembered that i was using composite when i tested. US gamecubes don't have RGB on the multiout :(

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks for the info. Yeah, the RGB/Component card was sold separately and needs to be tracked down.

US Gamecube only does component which is just as good as RGB, and even better in your case because your monitor can handle 480p. Problem there is the GC component cable is very expensive and rare. As a small compromise you can just get a Wii for cheap and easy 480p Gamecube gaming. The Wii's picture is a little softer but it's likely not noticeable as you play. The biggest problem in all of this is the GC's Gameboy Player. Unless you spend a huge amount for the cable, you're stuck using it with S-Video. Not horrible tbh, but not ideal either.

Guspaz

n00b
Doesn't GBI force the GC to 480p over component cables anyhow? If you want proper 240p ULL for GBI, at the moment you can't use the component cables (unless maybe you force the resolution via Swiss).

S-Video looks pretty decent on the GBP via GBI, to be honest. Not that I wouldn't mind picking up a component cable if the efforts to clone one without modding ever come to fruition.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member

Do you have any pics of games running on it? I have a BVM but I'm interested in finding a good monitor with lower or different specs, although not necessarily worse like a crappy CRT television. Something with a distinctly unique look from the usual sharpness and thick lines of the last Sony pro monitors.

So here's a picture I took of it the other day; all I've got is a cell phone camera, so really it's quite hard to do the PVM any justice taking pictures with it.

XHVvGOF.jpg

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
That's actually a really nice image and probably a lot closer to what the original artists intended, not what you see on an ultra sharp BVM with thick scanlines.

Doesn't GBI force the GC to 480p over component cables anyhow? If you want proper 240p ULL for GBI, at the moment you can't use the component cables (unless maybe you force the resolution via Swiss).

S-Video looks pretty decent on the GBP via GBI, to be honest. Not that I wouldn't mind picking up a component cable if the efforts to clone one without modding ever come to fruition.

Really? I had no idea GBI forced 480p over component. A lot of Wii VC games can be played in 240p component. GBI over S-video and composite (and PAL RGB?) run in 240p). So why the limitation on Gamecube component?

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Fuck, still haven't found a PVM/BVM/equivalent CRT in the Bay Area. All these gorgeous pics are making me list after one again.

Someone hook me up! :P

Yeah I saw that. If I didn't already have a 19 inch I would bite. Thats a good price.

Damn... already sold. What's a good price for the 20" PVM? I'm seeing some $300-500 bullshit which I'm not going to pay.

Right now I'm using an old Sanyo 20" TV with composite, and honestly it looks damn good... I kinda like when all the pixels blend/merge.