CRT Fetish Thread

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
What's the model number of that thing? That might be pretty sweet for laserdiscs...

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
What's the model number of that thing? That might be pretty sweet for laserdiscs...
I'll check it out the next time i'm at my parents as its at there house. Its ok for laserdisc. Imho analog media looks best over a projector.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'll check it out the next time i'm at my parents as its at there house. Its ok for laserdisc. Imho analog media looks best over a projector.

I actually think I figured it out based on the picture. Looks like it's a TXS3082WHX.

MuppeT

War Room Troll

someone needs to drag a sony pvm there ... and see the expert opinion of this fool ...
At first it looked like a troll . .but actually they seem to be serious.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Contacted someone with a BVM-D24E1WU. Provided it has a low hour count, what's the most I should pay for this thing?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Im really not sure how much those monitors go for anymore. Prices are always going to be in a flux. But just to give you an answer, a monitor like that if it's in good working condition and has the right input card, i would pay up to $400 for that one. But before I am going to shell out that much cash I would like to test it out for myself to make sure that it's good.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
I don't think I would be able to get it for less than $1000 if completed ebay listings are anything to go by. They really have gone up in price.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
I don't think I would be able to get it for less than $1000 if completed ebay listings are anything to go by. They really have gone up in price.

Hard pass at that price. Even $400 is high IMO.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Yeah that's what I was afraid of.
That's way more than I would ever be willing to spend for that monitor or any crt monitor really. Unless you want to use it for newer systems like the PS3 and Wii U, I really suggest you stick to the smaller size BVM/PVM to save some money. Sure you get a slightly higher TVL count with the 24' model but the difference is negligible and not worth the price premium if you're only going to be playing retro games.

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
MY 20M2MDU is 600 lines, so a 1000 line BVM is a pretty nice upgrade. I'd like to get one before they're impossible to find (who knows, might be too late for that)

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Just got off the phone about the BVM-D24E1WU. Very nice retired Sony Technician out of California who said he might have one in a few weeks from an editing warehouse that was closing down. Crossing my fingers that I get it. IF it's available, and that's a big if since he's had other people asking about it, he might even calibrate it for me professionally before sending it out.

In his words (it would be basically brand new)

I hope he doesn't ask too much, but at the same time I can't even imagine what these are going to cost 10 years from now.

Anyone else thinking on biting the bullet on one of these, or am I the only one insane enough to drop over $1000 on a tube TV just to play 240p games on it?

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
For just SD games, a D24 would be a waste. You could get the exact, if not better performance from a BVM-20E1U/E. Same if not slightly large visible picture for 4:3 content, same support for input cards, same controls for tweaking settings. Same line count even.

Now if you're looking at using it for 6th/7th/some 8th gen stuff too? Then the D24 might be worth it on that. Personally, for what I get paid, I don't think I could bring myself to drop $1000 on a monitor.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
240p's not going to look great on that thing, it's a huge waste if you're not specifically getting it for HD content. I've seen pics of games running 720p on it though and that is AMAZING.

Last edited:

wingzrow

Galford's Armourer
Now if you're looking at using it for 6th/7th/some 8th gen stuff too? Then the D24 might be worth it on that.

Playing Blurays on one in 1080i is pretty tempting, I'll give it that. There's also at least a few Xbox games I want to run in 720p. The price point is pretty much everything right now.

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I knew that even $400 was very high balling it for some people here. Thing is it is the demand for these monitors has seriously exploded just in the last year alone. Though there are still some deals to be found, but for the most part people have caught on that these things are worth money. And since these monitors aren't readily available to all areas, it just makes matters worse.

And as nice as that monitor might be for blue rays, I would think the screen is too small for regularly watching movies. Even with the added benefit of playing newer video games, that price point is way too high for me. Hell, I had a chance to get a 32' version of that monitor at one point for $500 dollars which i passed on. I always say never pay market value for anything that's used.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
MY 20M2MDU is 600 lines, so a 1000 line BVM is a pretty nice upgrade. I'd like to get one before they're impossible to find (who knows, might be too late for that)

I own a couple 600TVL PVM's and a couple 800TVL PVM's, and honestly, save your money. Seriously, RGB on a 600TVL display is plenty good. I know everyone has to "draw the line" somewhere as to what's good enough for them; for me I draw the line of "good enough" at a 600TVL PVM. Sure, the picture is a little sharper on the 20M4U (800) than on my 20M2MDU (600) but I wouldn't pay more than 100 or 200 bucks for them even in good shape. I love my scanlines as much as the next guy but they're almost too thick on the 20M4U.

If / when my PVMs kick the bucket I'll just use nice SCART > Component transcoders on consumer tubes. 27" CRT TVs with component inputs aren't hard to find dirt cheap, and if you have a quality RGB > Component transcoder, it looks almost as good as a decent arcade monitor when all is said and done.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Quick question I'll move it to technical if I have to but figured maybe one of you guys would have an idea. I have a ikegami tm20-30r that I run a rgb modded snes mini and a AV famicom via scart cables. They both run great through a scart to bnc cable with built in sync stripper. I picked up a pal GameCube from Craig as the NTSC one does not support rgb over analog. When I turn it on though I can't get it to sync. I see a button that says s-pal but anytime I press it it just says no operation. Is there anything else I should be doing? I was able to plug it into a PVM and it synced fine, so I know the cables and cube are good, but can't seem to find a setting to fix it. Any help would be appreciated if anyone on here has experience with this brand monitor. I also just got a xeno modchip is there a way to make it ouptut 60hz mode if so i was thinking of putting one in to resolve this issue as I saw it mention playing games at 60hz.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Are you using raw sync on those other consoles, and the GameCube's Composite as sync isn't compatible? Add a sync stripper.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Are you using raw sync on those other consoles, and the GameCube's Composite as sync isn't compatible? Add a sync stripper.

Well this took way to long but here is some info for anyone else who will try using a game cube via scart with a picky monitor like ikegami or anyone who tries to use a sync stripper on game cube. First off, you cannot use a scart game cube with a sync stripping cable period without extra equipment from my own experiments and verified to be a problem for retro gaming cables website as well. I found some great info about this by a poster on another forum but can't find the link now.
Start off with a snes to scart cable (I used a NTSC one made by Retro game cables which is composite sync. My ikegami won't take composite sync from snes so I have to use a sync stripping cable like the one I got from wyo). then plug it into a extron amplifier then back out bnc to scart to my switch. Then from my switch it goes male scart to sync stripping bnc cable. Not sure of the science behind it but this setup sure enough fixed my problem. I passed the info over to retro gaming cables as well in hopes they can provide a cable that can do this with much less wires but to date he said no such cable he carries will work correctly with a sync stripper when hooking up a scart compatible cube.
8165c876e0cef9d1876d0b470d0da6e2.jpg

Reclaimer

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Figuring out how to get my GameCube and Dreamcast hooked up to my 20" BVM... Worth the hassle? Or should I just stick with the Framemeister to HDTV?

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Is your BVM a multi-sync? If it is then for the DC you can use one of the BeharBros VGA/Scart box like the TORO and hook it up directly to your BVM. And for GC I'd recommend component since I know BVMs accept component. I haven't tried GC but DC games look really nice on BVM. There's no question that the image quality is better but if you already got a nice HDTV+Frameister set-up, it might not be worth the hassle to lose the screen size. I say if you don't mind playing on the smaller screen then you'll be really satisfied with how your BVM can handle those systems. If your monitor isn't multi sync then there are a few other routes you can go but I think they require more work.