CRT Fetish Thread

Which is better, the PVM-20L2MD or PVM-20M2MDU?

Anyone know how the PVM-20M2MDU/ST is different from the PVM-20M2MDU?

PVM-20L2MD and PVM-20M2MDU are both 600 TVL monitors. They are virtually the same in terms of picture quality. A relevant difference would be in how many RGB/YPbPr inputs they have. A PVM-20L2MD will have 1 set of RGB/YPbPr inputs but can have 2 more if you buy BKM-129x cards giving a total of 3. PVM-20M2MDU comes with 2 sets of RGB/YPbPr inputs.

I'm not sure what "ST" refers to in PVM-20M2MDU/ST but my guess is that they are the same.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
DZ slipped me some of his Kool Aid, and I drank. I disconnected the 20" PVM, pulled the old 27" Samsung out of storage and hooked it back up, and connected the RGB to component converter. It's "inferior," but ye gods, 27" TV two feet in front of my face...

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
DZ slipped me some of his Kool Aid, and I drank. I disconnected the 20" PVM, pulled the old 27" Samsung out of storage and hooked it back up, and connected the RGB to component converter. It's "inferior," but ye gods, 27" TV two feet in front of my face...

I'll gladly give up 75 lines of resolution for a massive TV. The tiny TV clan is hard to break away from...congrats Gohan.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member

This is the route I will be going with my 32" WEGA set.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
PVM-20L2MD and PVM-20M2MDU are both 600 TVL monitors. They are virtually the same in terms of picture quality. A relevant difference would be in how many RGB/YPbPr inputs they have. A PVM-20L2MD will have 1 set of RGB/YPbPr inputs but can have 2 more if you buy BKM-129x cards giving a total of 3. PVM-20M2MDU comes with 2 sets of RGB/YPbPr inputs.

I'm not sure what "ST" refers to in PVM-20M2MDU/ST but my guess is that they are the same.

Cool, that's about what I had gathered - thanks!

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'm done with anything over 17", because 20" BVMs are just not fun to move around and haul up and down flights of stairs. Doable but it fucks up my day... And the size of the box and amount of packing materials is crazy.

The 13" and 17" JVCs on the other hand are very compact and relatively light. The latter's screen isn't that much smaller than the BVM either.

rmschwab

n00b
Hello,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread (or forum even), but seeing as it's full of CRT fans, maybe someone can help me.

I picked up a Sony KV-24FV300 recently and plan on doing calibration. I've already done this on a 32" trinitron, but before I started on the 24" I noticed something.

When on lower settings for 'brightness' and 'picture', fast scrolling diagonal lines are noticeable. It's pretty rapid, I'm guessing related to some sort of refreshing of the screen, but again it's just a guess. It annoying, and although it is much less apparent when the 'picture' and 'brightness' are at the settings I would normally use, it seems to result in a flickering effect. I also don't see this on my 32" (KV-32FV300)

I've tried to capture it as best I could, so maybe someone can give me an idea. I'm not against opening the TV up if something needs to be looked at electrically, as I may be messing with the convergence anyway.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

IMG_1512.jpg

...And here is a link to the short video where you can sort of make out the lines in motion. Note - it's short so possibly watching on repeat will help. It basically looks like flickering but the lines are actually moving quickly vertically:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7Bm9CLDs5ABY2R4MU1ONmFtYUE

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm done with anything over 17", because 20" BVMs are just not fun to move around and haul up and down flights of stairs. Doable but it fucks up my day... And the size of the box and amount of packing materials is crazy.

The 13" and 17" JVCs on the other hand are very compact and relatively light. The latter's screen isn't that much smaller than the BVM either.

That's a major downside to these giant tvs. Much more of a hassle of move on your own. Even if you can lift them, lifting 100 lbs. TV can really kill your back. That's pretty much the biggest reason why they stop building these things.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Even if you can lift them, lifting 100 lbs. TV can really kill your back.

I was all manly and shit yesterday moving two 27" tubes around yesterday by myself. Today, my back certainly doesn't feel very manly.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Oh nice! But I get some weird elementary school flashbacks when I see one of those TV carts.

aaronmjr

Mr. Big's Thug
Hehe. It's been modified a bit and is about half as tall but yes, total public school vibe at first glance. :)

KyaDash

Crazed MVS Addict
I really need to get something like that. Just leaving the Mitsubishi Megaview sitting on the floor just isn't that nice, to look at or to use.