CRT Fetish Thread

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Thanks for the information. I'd assume that if I had purchased the standard BNC to Female SCART adaptor without Sync-Stripper this would have worked fine with my RGB lead? I hope that this modification to my AES Scart lead works now! :eek:

Exactly. Without the sync stripper it would have worked perfectly and most likely the +5v line on the AES isn't wired into the Scart lead therefor not powering the sync stripper circuit.

I have built lots and lots of the Scart to BNC cables and only a couple with an integrated sync stripper circuit, so I have experience in this field. The majority of the folks buying these cables are using them with PVMs and their game consoles work just fine on a PVM without the sync stripper circuit. It's only really necessary on monitors like a NEC XM29 because that monitor can't use composite video as sync. It needs a really clean composite sync signal.

This is why, personally, I think externally powering the sync stripper circuit rather than Scart bus powering it is the best way to do things.

However reattaching the 5v from the AES to pin 8 on the Scart connector should allow your Neo to sync up with your PVM.

Beelay

New Challenger
I have a 14" PVM at the moment and am currently bidding on a 20" one.
I'm almost definitely going to buy some BNC cables and daisy chain the two to show the same image as a novelty, but I was wondering: is there any practical use for doing this? Or is it purely just for fun?
I guess if my setup was such that the TV couldn't be viewed from some angles, this could rectify that...
Does anyone here use the video out function for anything cool?

Thamiel

Mr. Big's Thug
Rotate one of them, then your covered for vertical and horizontal games.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Martyr

n00b
I’ve picked up a nice Sony PVM2130QM!
This is indeed one of the best things you can do for your consoles,
the picture looks awesome with RGB (via SCART)!

20130611214212.jpg

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
that's a beautiful setup you got there martyr!! nice collection too!

Martyr

n00b
Thanks Mugicha!
I'm still looking for a 1-chip Snes and then I'm done in terms of consoles.

Beelay

New Challenger
I got my 20M4U! Picture in the pickups thread.
It's gorgeous. The only problem I have with it is that when I press the "Blue only" button, it displays everything in black-and-white, as opposed to blue like my old 14" PVM did. Is this an issue, or just how this model operates? There's nothing wrong with the blues in my games, they still look fantastic.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
I picked up a 1954Q yesterday for $100 (came with the flight case, that thing is huge!). Haven’t messed around with it much, but just a quick look at it with my S-Video modded Genesis and it looked great. Now I need step it up and hook it with RGB. As I have an XRGB2+ and an Extron Emotia, I was thinking of doing the following setup,

Consoles --> connected via S-Video, SCART, D-Terminal… --> XRGB2+ --> VGA cable to CPU IN --> Extron Emotia --> BNC R-G-B-S OUT --> PVM 1954Q

I just ordered the 4 Male/Male BNC RGB cables from Monoprice which I was missing for this setup. Can anyone confirm this would be a working and would still look good? Would I be better off getting BNC/SCART adapter and plugging everything more directly in the TV?

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I picked up a 1954Q yesterday for $100 (came with the flight case, that thing is huge!). Haven’t messed around with it much, but just a quick look at it with my S-Video modded Genesis and it looked great. Now I need step it up and hook it with RGB. As I have an XRGB2+ and an Extron Emotia, I was thinking of doing the following setup,

Consoles --> connected via S-Video, SCART, D-Terminal… --> XRGB2+ --> VGA cable to CPU IN --> Extron Emotia --> BNC R-G-B-S OUT --> PVM 1954Q

I just ordered the 4 Male/Male BNC RGB cables from Monoprice which I was missing for this setup. Can anyone confirm this would be a working and would still look good? Would I be better off getting BNC/SCART adapter and plugging everything more directly in the TV?

You don't need to use the extron or the xrgb at all in your set up. Just plug the consoles right to the PVM. If you need something to convert scart to the bnc cables just get a custom cable or a scart to bnc break out board. All the extra equipment is unnecessary and will just add noise to the pic that you don't want.

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
You don't need to use the extron or the xrgb at all in your set up. Just plug the consoles right to the PVM. If you need something to convert scart to the bnc cables just get a custom cable or a scart to bnc break out board. All the extra equipment is unnecessary and will just add noise to the pic that you don't want.

You think the noise would be that noticeable? I was hoping to include the XRGB2+ in the setup to have more options (like hooking up my CMVS with the Component out, more picture calibration from the XRGB2+). Since the XRGB2+ accepts various input, I thought it might simplify things as oppose to finding new cable for every consoles I want to hook up. Also, wouldn't I need the Emotia to convert the 360 VGA signal to 240p?

Has anybody tried to source the 20 pin remote cable for pvm's? Or does anyone have one they would like to sell? Ive got a pair of 14M4U's and I want to mess around with linking these things.

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
You think the noise would be that noticeable? I was hoping to include the XRGB2+ in the setup to have more options (like hooking up my CMVS with the Component out, more picture calibration from the XRGB2+). Since the XRGB2+ accepts various input, I thought it might simplify things as oppose to finding new cable for every consoles I want to hook up. Also, wouldn't I need the Emotia to convert the 360 VGA signal to 240p?

The whole point of getting a PVM is to display the games in their native resolution while using the best possible connection (RGB). Using lower quality video outputs and then processing them through scalers totally defeats the purpose.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
I’ve picked up a nice Sony PVM2130QM!
This is indeed one of the best things you can do for your consoles,
the picture looks awesome with RGB (via SCART)!

20130611214212.jpg
Sweet setup Martyr, what part of the Netherlands are you in? Might need to come round! :p

Martyr

n00b
Sweet setup Martyr, what part of the Netherlands are you in? Might need to come round! :p

Thanks Markell!

I'm all the way up north in Fryslân, so thats far enough from Belgium for your liking ;)

Last edited:

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
The picture from my SNES and my friends SNES is always to the left on both of my PVM's (20L5 & 20M2MDU).

Is there a way to calibrate the PVM with the SNES? Or do I have to manually set the image, which I don't really see in the options.

Let me know,
Thanks

photo 1(1).JPGphoto 2(1).JPGphoto 3(1).JPG

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
I found a thread over at SHMUPS that explains how to access the service menu to change the position and more. After pressing the menu button you have to press both the Degauss and Enter buttons at the same time to bring up the service menu. I still have a slight black bar on the right side. Though I'm sure it can be removed with the black bar settings I see here in the service menu. If there are any tips that can be thrown my way to get the perfect picture please let me know.

Thanks

*edit* Figured out the black settings didn't do what I think they would, not even sure what they do, but I just centered it correctly and then changed the position again and seems to be within a slight margin of error.

Last edited:

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
Sorry for another post, but I notice my picture is slightly slanted down to the right side. Is this a geometry issue? Lmk if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. Sorry if I am.

Mac91

I wonder if anyone saved my dickpic?
10 Year Member
Thanks Markell!

I'm all the way up north in Fryslân, so thats far enough from Belgium for your liking ;)
Haha great! I'm in Maastricht, it's a cultural black hole; just loads of wealthy coffin-dodgers and fucking pretentious German hipsters here.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Don, in the service menu for the 20M2MDU, you can use phase or some other settings to move the image left / right. I also usually increase H SIZE to overscan just a little bit off the edges. Press degauss twice to save all the settings, and then enter+degauss again to exit.

If you need the full service manual for the 20M2MDU I have it in PDF form. I paid for it, so I usually ask a couple bucks donation to hand it out.

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
Don, in the service menu for the 20M2MDU, you can use phase or some other settings to move the image left / right. I also usually increase H SIZE to overscan just a little bit off the edges. Press degauss twice to save all the settings, and then enter+degauss again to exit.

If you need the full service manual for the 20M2MDU I have it in PDF form. I paid for it, so I usually ask a couple bucks donation to hand it out.

Got you. I set it for the 20L5 already. I feel like the picture is a tiny bit slanted on it, is that even possible? I will PM you about that manual. Thanks for reaching out.

masamuneGTO

My Bro Aint HeavyHe's just not Wortha Christmas pr
9319457150_912e9646f3_c.jpg

This looks about right! Not bad for just S-video; now to connect it to my stereo system.

DonBurgundy

NEST Puppet
Question for the experts,

I have a multiformat PVM-20L5 and just got a pair of PSX scart cables. Which cable would look better for 480p games such as God of War between RGB and Component on my PVM?

Lmk,
Thanks

Note: I am using PlayStation 1 and 2

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
picked up a couple more CRT's

Sony 20 inch multisync GVM-2000. Needs some work as it has a dim picture. But I hope to get it working as it's a multisync monitor handling 15 and 31khz stuff.

Also picked up another 13 inch: PVM-1344Q

20130723_153625.jpg

20130723_153543.jpg