CRT Fetish Thread

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
You remember my letter? Insane! Super Play was the ultimate Super Nintendo resource for the UK. It introduced me to Secret Of Mana and Final Fantasy 3 years before they were released or not released in europe. It also made me realise that only a NTSC 60hz famicon/snes will do especially through RGB SCART and this was in 93!

EDIT: Regarding their tech advice being shit - it probably was. I saved every issue when I was younger but theyve been trashed since I've had to downsize a lot of my junk. However they were one of the few independent magazines that provided import reviews and talked about the differnce between 60hz and 50hz - borders and all. Much better than the official competitor.

I was also an avid Super Play reader in the early '90s - really enjoyed the reviews as well as information concerning manga, japaneese culture etc. Also remember their technical features on the different variations of hardware etc. - they were always pushing the 60hz / SCART argument and rightly so - made me realise just how inferior my PAL SNES was. Frankly speaking us Europeans were being shafted in terms of inferior hardware back then, and bearing in mind how easy it is to mod the majority of PAL consoles for dual 50/60hz performance (just done that and a host of other mods to a Sega Megadrive without being overly technicaly gifted) I find it scandalous that the big game companies just decided to go the easiest, least effort route possible. I had to put up with the black borders and slower game speeds on my console - its a shame that 20 years ago this kind of technical knowledge was not just floating around like it is today on the net.

Anyway, for anybody wanting to take a trip down memory lane:
http://www.outofprintarchive.com/catalogue/superplay.html

Last edited:

Gonzo

n00b
hi everybody. been snooping around this site for about a week and joined a few days ago and now you could also add me to the PVM Club. picked up a Sony PVM1351Q for $15 on craigslist, hooked the Wii on composite and looks good. am going to try the Dreamcast next and when am done with my 2-slot MVS consolize i'll also give it a try, on RGB of course. for now am going to keep my eye out for a larger size. you guys got me hooked!

photo 2.jpg

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Awesome PVM, and an even more awesome price, I have almost the exact same one. PVM-1354Q which seems barely used and perfect, but I had to pay $125.
When I first got it hooked up to a saturn via RGB I was stunned, even over composite it looked amazing.

I had to to get another of course ended up with an older and more used PVM-2530 for free which required another RGB DB25 adapter but I don't care its awesome too!

I hooked up a dreamcast to it via S-video it looked ok, but I think DC is best with VGA connection on a VGA CRT monitor.

Nyd

Recently I had the opportunity for a BVM-20F1U slip through my fingers. It's my ideal retro-gaming CRT television and was quite disappointed when I didn't get it.

So yeah, not a member of this club yet, but I will be someday... Someday...

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Was it an auction or something?

My dream is to score one of those,1000 lines, can you imagine?

If its available the price is too high and the shipping too much :(

Nyd

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Awesome PVM, and an even more awesome price, I have almost the exact same one. PVM-1354Q which seems barely used and perfect, but I had to pay $125.
When I first got it hooked up to a saturn via RGB I was stunned, even over composite it looked amazing.

I had to to get another of course ended up with an older and more used PVM-2530 for free which required another RGB DB25 adapter but I don't care its awesome too!

I hooked up a dreamcast to it via S-video it looked ok, but I think DC is best with VGA connection on a VGA CRT monitor.

Nyd

The Dreamcast just doesn't look great with S-video. Not sure if it is just how it comes out or the off brand cables. Go with RGB for 240p gaming on the DC and VGA for the 480i/p type games.

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Recently I had the opportunity for a BVM-20F1U slip through my fingers. It's my ideal retro-gaming CRT television and was quite disappointed when I didn't get it.

So yeah, not a member of this club yet, but I will be someday... Someday...

I almost got a BVM-20F1E (exactly the same thing as the 20F1U, E stands for Europe) however this was a model with no buttons / pots on the monitor with that side of things being handle by the external controller box / board... which was missing :mad_2:

Gonzo

n00b
What do you guys know about Proton TV Monitors for retro gaming? There's a 19" model 600m locally but I can't find any info online, only except for it was there first model tv in about 1983-84. I guess it was top of the line for its time.

I almost got a BVM-20F1E (exactly the same thing as the 20F1U, E stands for Europe) however this was a model with no buttons / pots on the monitor with that side of things being handle by the external controller box / board... which was missing :mad_2:

That's a shame. :(
You should have tried looking for the control unit separately. They're not that expensive on their own. Just last week I saw one on Ebay for $40 with free shipping.

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah I agree, I woulda snagged if possible, too good a monitor to pass up just because of that.

Nyd

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Yeah I agree, I woulda snagged if possible, too good a monitor to pass up just because of that.

Nyd

The monitor is still available, price is approx. 60 USD, that said its pick up only with a 2h drive needed on my part and I don't have any means of testing it (no controller unit, no appropriate cables). All the seller is able to confirm is that when plugged into the mains the screen turns on.
I am going to get my Sony CRT TV with RGB out of storage today (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...etish-Thread&p=3542772&highlight=#post3542772) and see if perhaps this is sufficent for my needs. A problem with a lot of these professional monitors is that they have often been used and abused very intensively and it may be the case that a late model CRT TV with very little display time may produce an overall better picture and be more convinient to operate (remote control, sound, SCART connector instead of e.g. BNC with raw sync).
As you said, in Europe one can be a bit more picky with regard to RGB displays since here its not 'PVM/BVM or nothing'.

Last edited:

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The monitor is still available, price is approx. 60 USD, that said its pick up only with a 2h drive needed on my part and I don't have any means of testing it (no controller unit, no appropriate cables). All the seller is able to confirm is that when plugged into the mains the screen turns on.
I am going to get my Sony CRT TV with RGB out of storage today (http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...etish-Thread&p=3542772&highlight=#post3542772) and see if perhaps this is sufficent for my needs. A problem with a lot of these professional monitors is that they have often been used and abused very intensively and it may be the case that a late model CRT TV with very little display time may produce an overall better picture and be more convinient to operate (remote control, sound, SCART connector instead of e.g. BNC with raw sync).
As you said, in Europe one can be a bit more picky with regard to RGB displays since here its not 'PVM/BVM or nothing'.

I understand where your coming from, and if it were a lesser Pro monitor I might agree, but for a BVM-20F1E its worth the effort.

And I've picked up to PVM's in a row, and one was free and they are both great.

Since I've been working on adjusting the pots on my 2530, I got the geometry/hsize/vsize and the blacks almost perfect I just sit there in front of it stunned by the picture. I can't imagine who nice that BVM-20F1E would look. A lot of effort, time and a bit of cash, but if successful WELL worth it.

I keep cruising craigslsit etc looking, for the next PVM I can get lol

Nyd

Last edited:

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Totally looks like a rebranded Sony, cept its got even more inputs, but the control panel layout is dead on.

found it described as this:

42933 - Olympus OEV 142 Trinitron Color Video Monitor

So its got "Sony Guts".

Nyd

Last edited:

MtothaJ

Host for Orochi
10 Year Member
Totally looks like a rebranded Sony, cept its got even more inputs, but the control panel layout is dead on.

found it described as this:

42933 - Olympus OEV 142 Trinitron Color Video Monitor

So its got "Sony Guts".

Nyd

Thanks for confirming. The one thing I find strange with the PVMs (don;t know if this applies to all but probably the majority) is that there is no easy geometry control - you have to open up the monitor and adjust some pots the PCB if the displayed picture is slightly to the left or whatever. This is really backward if you want to use multiple systems with the monitor.
Just one question, looking at this cable for a PVM - http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/male-rgb-break-out-scart-to-4-x-bnc--2-x-rca-converter-cable.html
It is available in two configurations - input and output. WHat is the difference in layman terms?

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Thanks for confirming. The one thing I find strange with the PVMs (don;t know if this applies to all but probably the majority) is that there is no easy geometry control - you have to open up the monitor and adjust some pots the PCB if the displayed picture is slightly to the left or whatever. This is really backward if you want to use multiple systems with the monitor.
Just one question, looking at this cable for a PVM - http://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/male-rgb-break-out-scart-to-4-x-bnc--2-x-rca-converter-cable.html
It is available in two configurations - input and output. WHat is the difference in layman terms?

Pretty sure it means the SCART connector could be made to be a male as opposed to a female. Standard for this is female as it makes it easy to hook up your console to the PVM with a standard RGB wired scart plug. I guess if you had a device that had an RGB female scart input on it you might want to it to be male, but for us console users who own PVM you want it to be female.

I bought a cable like this from daskrabs, it works great.

Yeah, adjusting pots is nerve racking and a pain, I am just about to put the case back on my pvm-2530 as I think I got it the way I like it, but won't be screwing ALL the screws, still got geometry issues on top right corners which no playin with the pots has fixed, not sure if I need convergence strips or just the age of the pvm is showing. No way am I recapping.

Nyd

Still have not had a chance to try rgb, but I grabbed a pretty much brand New Nec XM29 multisync for 100 bucks a year or so ago 5 miles away from me in Upstate NY. Complete with remote and warranty card/ instructions Some company had them listed on craigslist. Looked completely untouched when I went to test it out. Svideo looks amazing on it. Still need to get someone to wire me up an lm1881 project box for my scart to bnc cable. :(

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Wow, I would love to get one of those.

Can you take a pic of the back and its inputs?

Nyd

Not home but its pretty much 2 sets of composite vid bnc inputs with svideo ports(in and out for everything) Also has 2 rgb hook ups one is a vga port and the other is rgb bnc hook ups.

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Not home but its pretty much 2 sets of composite vid bnc inputs with svideo ports(in and out for everything) Also has 2 rgb hook ups one is a vga port and the other is rgb bnc hook ups.

I think for Dreamcast/PS2 etc this monitor would be the best, I heard the older 240P consoles lose their scanline goodness on the XM29 though. 29 inches, must weigh a ton.

Nyd

http://wolfsoft.de/shop/images/product_images/popup_images/14660_2.jpg

Found this online looks like this. With 2 ppl it was quite manageable. I felt like I got a deal with it and I had been looking for one for months at that point. Craigslist snipe by my friend informed me and I was there within 24 hours.

I retired 2 older crts when I got this. Still on the fence to contract someone else to make me an lm1881 project box or just buy a sync strike. Friend of a friend has not built it for me yet and I dont see him often......

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Wow, for $100 you got a awesome deal, super jealous.

You need to get RGB cables made up.

Nyd

I have just about everything, but I had got a scart to bnc from retro cables before they started making one with an lm1881 in it, so I have a cable that does not work atm. I have my snes and genesis scart cables already.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
I am looking at getting a PVM in the near future. I'm taking a look at a PVM-20M2U on eBay for $180 shipped. I'd like to get a 20". I'm afraid I don't know very much about these, except I have always known that they are THE crt to get. I have been using a newer basic model consumer tube TV that a friend gave me, which is not bad at all after some tuning in all honesty... but given the time I spend playing all sorts of retro consoles on it, I should really get a proper rig

Nyder

Kuroko's Training Dummy
The price is one thing, its the shipping that will break you, and perhaps the monitor.

Nothing local to you on craigslist?

Remember your gonna have to spring for some cables too, RGB SCART's and a BNC to female SCART etc.

Nyd