CRT Fetish Thread

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
I haven't run 1080i through one, but 240p RGB / 480i / 480p component are perfect. No issues on my PVMs, and I would notice if there were. I'd guess it would work fine with quality cables but I can't guarantee it.

Good to know. I use very good quality cables whenever possible. My Loewe CRT shows quality issues quite well so I've gotta keep the signal/source as high quality as I can. I'll have to pick one up and give it a shot.

Gonzo

n00b
i just picked up another one today. A PVM-20L2 for $20. on Monday i got a Model 1 Sega Genesis (HDG logo) that i will be connecting thru RGB. can't get the wii to look right thru Component though!

photo.jpg

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Still need to get myself some type of sync stripper for my nec xm29

http://www.extron.com/product/product.aspx?id=ss200&search=SS 200#feature253

I believe I can grab one of these quite cheap would this let me finally get RGB Goodnes out of my monitor?

That thing looks sweet but it does not say it handles 15kHz. Specs show 30kHz which probably won't work for you.

All you need is a simple lm1881 circuit. Or, a sync strike may be a prettier solution if you can make the right cables. http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html

Was trying to do without since I have bought a scart to bnc cable from retro cables months ago which means id have to sell it. Its looking that way though.... Thanks for pointing the flaw on that one.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
James, I've tried 'em all. Selecty 21s are the only ones worth a damn.

I used to have two of them daisy chained, in order to take all of my leads.

The customer chose one for me to rewire and when I tested it everything worked fine but I only tested each input not with all of them loaded. When he got it there was some interference in the picture as it's a non-shielded box so he wants me to "fix" it now. He said the CMVS, SFami and others worked fine on switch 3, 4 and 5 but switch 1 and 2 have problems. If I can figure it out then maybe I can make a guide for it or something.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
The customer chose one for me to rewire and when I tested it everything worked fine but I only tested each input not with all of them loaded. When he got it there was some interference in the picture as it's a non-shielded box so he wants me to "fix" it now. He said the CMVS, SFami and others worked fine on switch 3, 4 and 5 but switch 1 and 2 have problems. If I can figure it out then maybe I can make a guide for it or something.

By rewire, do you mean change the Selecty to Euro Scart spec, of fix a broken JP 21 pin back to OEM spec?

I ask, because the Euro spec could be what's mucking things up since Euro leads are loaded, & JP ones are not (hence, the Selecty not having/needing the shielding if used w/ out Euro modification).

Maybe shou-sama, or GaijinPunch could shed some light on this.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
By rewire, do you mean change the Selecty to Euro Scart spec, of fix a broken JP 21 pin back to OEM spec?

I ask, because the Euro spec could be what's mucking things up since Euro leads are loaded, & JP ones are not (hence, the Selecty not having/needing the shielding if used w/ out Euro modification).

Maybe shou-sama, or GaijinPunch could shed some light on this.

Nah, it was a cheap 5 in 1 box. I cut all the traces and rewired it to JP21 spec and then rewired the output to match JP21 as well. I think I need to add some kind of shielding.

phonedork

n00b
That thing looks sweet but it does not say it handles 15kHz. Specs show 30kHz which probably won't work for you.

All you need is a simple lm1881 circuit. Or, a sync strike may be a prettier solution if you can make the right cables. http://arcadeforge.net/Scaler-and-Strike-Devices/Sync-Strike::15.html

Apparently it does as I talked to somebody who is using it right now on a XM29 NEC. I just ordered one and I want to compare it to the LM1881 Sync Stripper that I am currently using. This thing also can amplify the signal and allow for adjusting sharpness by messing with the Peaking Control. At least from what I read. Looks promising!

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Apparently it does as I talked to somebody who is using it right now on a XM29 NEC. I just ordered one and I want to compare it to the LM1881 Sync Stripper that I am currently using. This thing also can amplify the signal and allow for adjusting sharpness by messing with the Peaking Control. At least from what I read. Looks promising!

I'm surprised if it works for 15kHz that the specs start at 30. What did you pay for it? let us know your results because that would be awesome if it works and they're not that expensive.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Friends both my BKM-10R arrived today......... without their cables.

Could somebody check if the DB9 to DB9 cable is straight wired: pin 1 to pin 1 and so on?

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
I believe it is, I bought a generic cable from monoprice and it worked fine. It's whatever a normal serial cable is wired up to be.
You're very close Fandango :P

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Same id like to know before I drop money on it.

http://www.extron.com/download/files/brochure/ss200ebro.pdf

The Brochure for it says it handles 15kHz. Ill wait for a confirmation if it works than ill snag one cause they are quite cheap.

Guess Ill just wait for a confirmation

Looking at the brochure, it should be fine. I wonder why the site says 30 minimum but the brochure says 15. If it worked with an XM-29 it should be fine for PVM/BVM use then.

phonedork

n00b
Looking at the brochure, it should be fine. I wonder why the site says 30 minimum but the brochure says 15. If it worked with an XM-29 it should be fine for PVM/BVM use then.

I will test it both on the PVM 20L5 and the NEC Multisync X29 Plus. I will compare the video quality on both monitors using the LMR1881 and the Extron. The PVM I have does not require a sync stripper as the NEC does though. But I wonder what would happen with sharpness. I will post pics here and keep you informed

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I will test it both on the PVM 20L5 and the NEC Multisync X29 Plus. I will compare the video quality on both monitors using the LMR1881 and the Extron. The PVM I have does not require a sync stripper as the NEC does though. But I wonder what would happen with sharpness. I will post pics here and keep you informed

Awesome, thanks. I really just want to know if it'll strip composite video to sync like an lm1881 does. All my PVM's take composite video as sync, but if I get an xrgb mini in the future i'll want to buy one of these extrons if it can accept cvid as the sync input and output a clean sync.

Yea thanks I really want to know so I can snag one for my NEC XM29.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Results here: 1.5 out of 3.

One BVM goes direct into stand by (already opened it and wasn't able to find anything to fix)

The second one, squashed image and there's not enough fix on the digital menu but I believe this might be fixable with some knobs on the inside:

XoEfPh4l.jpg

The third one is working:
a3Kkl4cl.jpg

It's funny that the only one working was the one I got for free since it wasn't turning on.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
You sure that top one doesn't have 16:9 mode activated and/or underscan activated? not sure if/how BVM's handle those options but i have PVM's with 16:9 option and they look like that if it's turned on.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
You sure that top one doesn't have 16:9 mode activated and/or underscan activated? not sure if/how BVM's handle those options but i have PVM's with 16:9 option and they look like that if it's turned on.

Tried that, it's not 16:9 not sure about underscan mode. I wasn't able to find it within the menu.
I'll look closer but I don't believe this is the problem because when I set 16:9 it reduces even more the picture.

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
Finally got around to picking up a VGA-2-BNC cable from Microcenter. Connected my Naomi (even tho I have no carts/gdroms/netdimm), set the output dip to 15khz, and was pretty amazed by the quality.

20131107_160937-1.jpg
20131107_160949-1.jpg

I also tested the dip set to 31khz, which again worked perfectly thanks to the multisync powers of the L5 series. The lack of noticeable scanlines was sort of a drag for me personally however.

Last edited:

Flagshiphero

Crazed MVS Addict
Hi guys, I got a PVM 2130QM, but what audio cable do I need for this? I want to use my pc speakers with the PVM. It's a 3.5 mini jack, but does not fit into the stereo connection on the PVM.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Hi guys, I got a PVM 2130QM, but what audio cable do I need for this? I want to use my pc speakers with the PVM. It's a 3.5 mini jack, but does not fit into the stereo connection on the PVM.

Probably a standard 3.5mm to RCA adapter. Or, skip the PVM alltogether (audio wise) and plug your console(s) into a receiver or other speaker.

If one were to plug this CRT into a computer will it turn on automatically? I found one on CL today and I would like to use in a MAME cab. Thanks

Most likely it will not work without some extra work. Most PVM's are low res (15kHz) only, where as computers are minimum 31kHz. The only PVMs off the top of my head that would accept that signal as-is is a 20L5 or 14L5.

That's not to say it can't be done, there are some things like soft 15kHz (which I have not tried) which may let you output the correct RGB signal for a PVM. I rarely use mame, but when I do I just use an old graphics card that has s-video out and hook that to a PVM. It's not RGB but it looks OK.

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
If one were to plug this CRT into a computer will it turn on automatically? I found one on CL today and I would like to use in a MAME cab. Thanks

You need this: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conser...=1384281732&sr=8-4&keywords=smart+power+strip

Plug the computer into the green outlet and plug the PVM into one of the light gray outlets and leave the PVM's power switch in the ON position. When you turn on the computer it will automatically power on the PVM. When the computer is powered off it will automatically cut power to the PVM.

Last edited: