Did anyone get God Hand and let it make sweet, sweet love to them?

N2x

Chin's Bartender
I've heard it's the first good 3D beat-'em-up in a while. Are the rumors true?

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Picking up my reserved copy at EB tonight, along with Persona 3. Looks quite nice, and the $30 price tag is quite reasonable.

God Hand, hermegildo, and I are gonna have a 3-way.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
I'm planning on picking this up tonight, been waiting quite a while for it.

Gamespot seemed to really like it (8.0) but apparently the douche bags at IGN hated it (3.0!). Guess you really can't spell IGNorant without IGN.:chimp:

MNK

King's Dry Cleaner
I'm looking forward to this but have no idea when it hits Europe.. probably in 2007 just like Okami :oh_no: .

BIG

sony fanboy
Godhand is pretty cool.

I've had the import version neatly tucked away in the confines of my HDD for weeks now :mr_t:

B-

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
SnairDogg said:
Umm, don't ya mean "Devil Summoner"?
Yes he does... Devil Summoner is on the shelves, but no Persona 3 here until next year. Doublejump did the Devil Summoner strat guide instead of Brady. :)

I have Godhand but it's WAY down on the list. Gotta finish Valkyrie Profile 2 (awesome, underrated), Devil Summoner, Okami, Tales of the Abyss, and using Samurai Warriors 2 as a pace-changer. Late-year releases are excellent. :)

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
neojedi said:
Yes he does... Devil Summoner is on the shelves, but no Persona 3 here until next year. Doublejump did the Devil Summoner strat guide instead of Brady. :)

I have Godhand but it's WAY down on the list. Gotta finish Valkyrie Profile 2 (awesome, underrated), Devil Summoner, Okami, Tales of the Abyss, and using Samurai Warriors 2 as a pace-changer. Late-year releases are excellent. :)
Oh, sweet- I thought that Persona 3 was just being released here under the SMT banner, but this is far better. I love the SMT series, so I'm glad this will be a true entry and not just P3.

*me cancels other evening plans*

:buttrock:

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yea, picked it up, played it, returned it quicly after. It's like RE4 but with a new paint job. Only difference is this game isn't good. I was expecting a lot out of Clover this time, but it's just a velow average game. Sad. :crying:

H

hermegildo

Jedah Doma said:
It's like RE4 but with a new paint job.
lol

What, because of the fixed camera?

This game is nothing like Resident Evil 4.

Don't be a retard and try to spend more than 10 minutes with it.

Weevus

15 year old,
15 Year Member
Jedah Doma said:
Yea, picked it up, played it, returned it quicly after. It's like RE4 but with a new paint job. Only difference is this game isn't good. I was expecting a lot out of Clover this time, but it's just a velow average game. Sad. :crying:

What game are you talking about?

Also I thought the SMT series and the Persona series were the same.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
Weevus said:
What game are you talking about?

Also I thought the SMT series and the Persona series were the same.
Think of SMT as a genre where you capture demons. Persona is it's own world, just like Nocturne is it's own world and doesn't have anything to do with DDS for example. But they all have to do with befriending demons to aid you in some way (like in "Devil Summoner" as well).

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I'm not that far into it [playing Valkyrie Profile 2 :drool: ] But so far I dig it. HARD AS HELL! I am tempted to start over on easy just because I don't want to spend hours and hours practicing. But it is a good beat em up. Better than beat down and streetwise so far. [not saying much]

The Legendary LoneWolf

The Garou Densetsu Guy,
20 Year Member
so how do you do that then by putting the hole of the CD on your dick and spinning it and hope the pubic hairs can read from it ?

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
I think this game sucks cocks...fuck, another DVDr down the drain.....

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Dreamer said:
I think this game sucks cocks...fuck, another DVDr down the drain.....

what the hell were you expecting, seriously?

Its not Zelda.

This game and even the ad campaign have done NOTHING to lead people to believe this game is something its not. Its everything I expected and I'm enjoying it.

Its a good beat-em-up, with a unique style and deep customizeable combo system and great art direction/music.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
pixeljunkie said:
I'm not that far into it [playing Valkyrie Profile 2 :drool: ] But so far I dig it. HARD AS HELL! I am tempted to start over on easy just because I don't want to spend hours and hours practicing. But it is a good beat em up. Better than beat down and streetwise so far. [not saying much]
No, play it on normal! Hell yes it's hard, but it's that much more satisfying when you finally beat a part that's been kicking your ass (trust me, I know from experience).

Like the boss fight against Elvis, for example. He beat me in about 15 seconds on my first try. Then I slowly figured out how to fight him, and on about the fifth try, I hammered him. Hardly any health lost, just pounded him.

This is one of those games that really rewards you for learning how to play it properly, great title.

Diavle18

Banger regnaB,
Yeah don't play it on easy, normal forces you to strategize and adapt more. You['ll be much more satisified I'm sure.

The Azel boss fights were so awesome.

I'm on my second run and find it very easy now (made better combos) so I think on my third run I'll go hard (always on lvl Die) but I'm not sure if I'll be able to handle it.

Heh anyone else see the SF reference in the fairy missions? That was cool.

The best and most satifying brawler in years.

Last edited:

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
It's harder than I thought it would be, and when you die it makes you start the level over. That's not such a big deal, and it's pretty cool to play actually. I just got component cables (finally) yesterday for my ps2 - I held off buying them because I was using composite through my vcr and didn't want to lose my ghetto surround sound via my stereo, but I got a few splitters and what not at best buy, took care of that problem. I was testing out games since I had my new cables, and fuck me sideways does it make the graphics look a lot better. Just got to mention that since I had been using composite and not using my ps2 to it's full potential. This game is cool, I wish it was two players, but I'm not sure how they could have made that work quite right.

@jro, what do you think of Devil Summoner? I only got a chance to play it for about 15 minutes which was pretty much just the combat tutorial. Really liked the music though. Not to mention the graphics kick so much more ass since I've upgraded to the component cables.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
SnairDogg said:
It's harder than I thought it would be, and when you die it makes you start the level over. That's not such a big deal, and it's pretty cool to play actually. I just got component cables (finally) yesterday for my ps2 - I held off buying them because I was using composite through my vcr and didn't want to lose my ghetto surround sound via my stereo, but I got a few splitters at and what not at best buy, took care of that problem. I was testing out games since I had my new cables, and fuck me sideways does it make the graphics look a lot better. Just got to mention that since I had been using composite and not using my ps2 to it's full potential. This game is cool, I wish it was two players, but I'm not sure how they could have made that work quite right.

@jro, what do you think of Devil Summoner? I only got a chance to play it for about 15 minutes which was pretty much just the combat tutorial. Really liked the music though. Not to mention the graphics kick so much more ass since I've upgraded to the component cables.
Devil Summoner is awesome. It's certainly worthy of the SMT pedigree. I read in a review that the older Devil Summoner games, JP-only versions, were almost entirely text-based, and that influence is felt pretty strongly in this one, too. There's a LOT of text, though the story is typical SMT goodness (though not on the level of Nocturne or Digital Devil Saga), so that's okay. I also like the combat system. It's far deeper than it appears at first glance. I'm only about an 1:45 into the game, but it's already getting pretty interesting- when you run into a group of enemies that vary a lot from each other, you end up summoning a different demon every 10 seconds to make sure that you have the right skills available and the right strengths and weaknesses, and then when you add in elemental bullets, it gets pretty wild.

There's also a welcome sense of humor in Devil Summoner- it's much less serious than Nocturne and DDS. I'd probably go so far as to say that the game is at least 50% tongue-in-cheek and self-aware.

The loyalty system is good for some laughs. I tried to fuse two demons, one of which didn't have a high enough loyalty, so she told me she didn't want to fuse with "that ugly thing," referring to the other demon. Once I got her loyalty maxed out, no problem with fusing.

As good as Xenosaga III is and Final Fantasy XII may be, this is almost definitely still going to be my favorite RPG of the year.

edit: between this and Godhand on the same day, I've been pretty much glued to the PS2.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
God Hand really seems to be a love it or hate it game. I still can't figure out which side I'd fall on...although it's kind of cheap enough I should probably just take the chance. On the other hand, Shadow of the Colossus hurt my heart, and I was sure I was going to love that game (and did, in fact, until the last level and ending turned love to blinding, searing hate). Honestly, there was a split second upon finishing SotC that I toyed with the idea of putting the game in the garbage can, and I've never done that with anything.

I don't know if I'm ready for that kind of devistation again so soon (I only finally played it a few weeks ago). I'll probably keep waiting and reading impressions to see what kind of replay value the fans think it has (or see if they get sick of it after a week or two). Or, more likely, I'll just buy it on impulse while standing around Best Buy, because I do that when I'm not careful.

I'm really torn between the fact that I tried it (very) briefly at E3 and was completely underwhelmed, and the fact that the videos look so fun, combined with positive reviews here.