Did Neo Geo Freak sell mismatched manuals?

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Did Neo Geo Freak sell mismatched manuals? I got a US Puzzled today, but didn't realize until I got home that the manual was JoyJoyKid. I found the "distributed by NGF" sticker on the side of the cartridge, as well as some sort of numbered code for the cartridge from a Singapore amusements company "J Ashby Marketing PTE", with an accompanying blue note. I also noticed the insert quality was a bit sub-standard.

Is this a common occurrence with NGF releases? Or should I hunt down a Puzzled manual to replace it?

For reference, see the gallery here,
http://imgur.com/a/FeM6L

Thank you for any helpful input!

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
NGF was well known for reprinting inserts, hell they took great pleasure in destroying genuine inserts to put their own tramp stamps on it.. That is probably why the insert is sub standard.

ngf_shreds_snk.jpg

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, they probably just took the Japanese game, tossed the original insert and printed their own. Congratulations, you got Freaked.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yeah, they probably just took the Japanese game, tossed the original insert and printed their own. Congratulations, you got Freaked.

Sure would have been nice if they used an english manual, but I'll live!

pipes

DO NOT DEAL WITH!!!, DEAL OUTSTANDING!
Sure would have been nice if they used an english manual, but I'll live!

If I'm understanding correctly, you are referring to the manual while everyone else is referring to the insert. Did they actually destroy and re-print both? I only heard about them doing that with inserts.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
If I'm understanding correctly, you are referring to the manual while everyone else is referring to the insert. Did they actually destroy and re-print both? I only heard about them doing that with inserts.

Yeah, I was inquiring about the manual problem specifically. I just want to know if it was sold this way, or if it's truly a Frankenstein.

Are there noted instances of mismatched manuals for NGF releases?

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Your lucky to get any manual, mismatched or not. It was easy back in the day to score loose carts for bargain prices. Then, throw it in a box, slip in a photocopied insert, and if available, include a manual. (Japanese, English, CD version, etc.) thus whereby creating a more valuable item by piecing it together.

Especially easy to do when you have dozens & dozens of "parts" laying around from parted out games which were used for conversions over the years. Is it all coming together now? Yeap.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I used to own a NAM-1975 (J insert, E cartridge, NGCD E manual) and a complete Fatal Fury 2 JPN with that same card from J Ashby Marketing. I think its most likely those guys or someone else obtained a loose Puzzled cartridge, paired it with a JoyJoyKid manual and empty case and printed a Puzzled insert.

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Does the back of the insert have an NGF-USA stamp?

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Nope =[ Dion asked the same thing on some facebook group. Looks to be a reprinted art.

I had 5 new KOF 2000 US carts direct from NGF and one of them didn't have a stamped insert, so who knows?

myblackamex

NEST Puppet
I used to own a NAM-1975 (J insert, E cartridge, NGCD E manual) and a complete Fatal Fury 2 JPN with that same card from J Ashby Marketing. I think its most likely those guys or someone else obtained a loose Puzzled cartridge, paired it with a JoyJoyKid manual and empty case and printed a Puzzled insert.

I ran into the same issue...... multiple times back in the days. I was just thrown in along the way and confirmed with no stamps. Keep hunting for a manual you will find one.

Schiggidyd

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I ran into the same issue...... multiple times back in the days. I was just thrown in along the way and confirmed with no stamps. Keep hunting for a manual you will find one.

Thanks for the positive words! I'll keep asking around.

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I had 5 new KOF 2000 US carts direct from NGF and one of them didn't have a stamped insert, so who knows?

Those are boots and not authorized nor under NGF warranty ......oopppssss

ResO

water damaged
20 Year Member
Those are boots and not authorized nor under NGF warranty ......oopppssss

In the lawsuit SNK admitted they had the rights to release KOF2000, like them or not. The insert was made with real printing plates too. Of course I don't own these carts anymore.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member
Did Neo Geo Freak sell mismatched manuals? I got a US Puzzled today, but didn't realize until I got home that the manual was JoyJoyKid. I found the "distributed by NGF" sticker on the side of the cartridge, as well as some sort of numbered code for the cartridge from a Singapore amusements company "J Ashby Marketing PTE", with an accompanying blue note. I also noticed the insert quality was a bit sub-standard.

Is this a common occurrence with NGF releases? Or should I hunt down a Puzzled manual to replace it?

For reference, see the gallery here,
http://imgur.com/a/FeM6L

Thank you for any helpful input!

Does everything smell like ass? Cause usually everything from them smells like ass...