Different AES AV Cords?

Zerrminator

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
Is there more than one model AES AV Cable out there?

I just picked up another AES system and noticed that the AV cable it came with actually has more pins on the connector cable as compared to my older AV cable.

AV cable with less pins was from an 87,000 serial model - JPN
AV cable with more pins was from a 187,000 serial model - JPN
2806990779_87ed637b66_b.jpg

Did this have something to do with the later revisions having better Composite out?? I can post pictures if needed.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Could just mean the connector has more pins, doesnt mean they're wired though.
Usually composite cables only come with the pins needed.

Weird.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The Genesis and the Neo Geo A/V cords are interchangeable because they're using the same three pinouts. Mono Video(pin on the left), Mono Audio(pin on the right) and Ground(bottom center). The other pinouts are not connected which would be Red,Green,Blue,+5V and Sync
BB

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
I remember seeing somewhere that the Neo has a slightly different A/V output female connector than the Genesis 1/Master System 1(slightly different pin spacing). Maybe it's not different enough to make them incompatible.
The reason the second cable has more pins might be that they use connectors that were also being used to make rgb scart cables, which always have all 8 pins(if they are real rgb-capable cables). Composite only needs 3 of the pins.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
An rgb scart cable with 8 pins can actually output both composite and rgb.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
http://members.optushome.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm

The pin spacings are slightly different on this site.. it says the Genesis 1/Master System 1 have an 8 pin female "U" DIN connector, and the Neo AES has an 8 pin female "C" DIN connector. I remember seeing it mentioned on another site though. It might only be a problem for 8-pin connectors/rgb cables, not the 5-pin composite cables.

JuliusCaesar

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I remember trying to plug my AES video cable into my genesis(because the composite cable is a really crappy one my dad made 10-15 years ago) and the din connector didn't fit(pins looked correct but maybe there was a slight difference in din connector shape, I don't know), don't know about the other way around, didn't try that.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It takes some considerable forcing to make the Genesis AV cable fit in the Neo.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Hmmm... I've used an 8-pin DIN that was made for Turbo Duo both on an AES and Genesis and it fit all 3 and worked perfect on all 3.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
http://members.optushome.com.au/eviltim/gamescart/gamescart.htm

The pin spacings are slightly different on this site.. it says the Genesis 1/Master System 1 have an 8 pin female "U" DIN connector, and the Neo AES has an 8 pin female "C" DIN connector. I remember seeing it mentioned on another site though. It might only be a problem for 8-pin connectors/rgb cables, not the 5-pin composite cables.

Yeah, the top two pins are offset by a few degrees, thats why its difficult putting a 8 pin Megadrive/Genesis connector in Neo Geo or vice versa..

The 5 pin connectors don't really have that problem because they don't have the top two offset pins, the arrangement between Megadrive/Genesis and Neo Geo is therefore the same when using the 5 pin.

I've heard that using 8 pin connectors on the incorrect system stresses the offset pins and they may break off over time, but I'm not sure whether that is entirely correct.