Doom beta

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
For all of you who forgot, if you preordered Wolfenstein: The New Order way back in the day, you've got access to the Doom beta now. Maybe there was another way to gain access to it, too. I don't know.

Anyway, I played some of the beta on Steam.

First, set your launch options for this game to +com_skipIntroVideo 1 to disable the laggy intro videos.

Then, disable the Steam overlay. But you won't be able to take screenshots, you say? It doesn't matter. The game looks like tame ass.

Then start the game and immediately leave your computer. Really. Just go do something else. It's going to be a black screen for a good 5 minutes. What's it doing? Fuck me if I know. At first I thought my CPU wasn't up to snuff because it's from 2009, but then everything ran smoothly after that point. Maybe it was unpacking assets, but I didn't try loading the game again to find out.

Finally, there's an actual menu. A couple EULAs later, and you're able to select multiplayer. The only gameplay option. Well, it's only fair.

Following that, you see perhaps the most disappointingly sparse graphics options screen you could have ever feared. Anyway, it doesn't seem to matter. The game's going to look like it's 10 years old no matter what you do. It probably looks that way because it took them that long to make the game, am I right? :lol:

Then you get to some screen where you can see your guy in his armor, and you immediately get reminded that you're on the iD Tech engine. That is, shitty textures that take even longer to stream in than many Unreal engine games. Fuck.

Then you get to the gameplay after all this disappointment, and by this point you expect the game to be absolute horsecock. The game does not disappoint. It's slow, plodding, silky smooth, boring, visually uninspired, generic malarkey.

You find out that crouching is toggle only. Wanted hold crouch? Fuck you. There's no run button. I guess you wouldn't need it if you moved like you're a futuristic space marine in Hell on Mars, but you don't move like you're a futuristic space marine in Hell on Mars. You move like a futuristic space marine in Hell on Mars taking a Sunday afternoon stroll in the park.

You carry two weapons, I think, I don't know, it all sucks, and it's all generic.

Playing the game is le yawn. There's nothing notable about it at all. If you were expecting to be wowed like you were back on your 486 which could barely run Doom 1 back when you were still wetting the bed at night, you've got another thing coming. You'll feel like you're shitting your Depends in the middle of scrapbooking class in the old folks' home.

Overall, I give the whole iD experience a :shame: out of :thevt: I wish I never preordered that flaming turd of a game Wolfenstein: The New Order running on that shitass engine with an install that took up twice the space of my extensively modded Crysis 2 yet looked a quarter as good as it with the excuse of "we save every bit of the level as one continuous file for maximum performance" when the fucking game couldn't even access the fucking textures properly just so I could play the beta of this Doom reject. I was excited for both games, too, but do yourself a favor and play the original Doom and Wolfenstein 3D games instead. Maybe, just maybe, they'll make a worthwhile single player campaign out of the game when the full game comes out, but I highly doubt it.

:oh_no:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
I'm gonna attempt to hop on tonight and try it. I'm really looking forward to this one.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I'm more excited for the single player portion anyways.

I'm not going to count it out since its still in beta.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
i get the feeling that this might end up just like duke nukem forever did. maybe not as bad, but there was something special about the original doom series that did right, which can't be remade into a modern fps. the 2016 doom looks too action oriented. where as the original series, although was action packed, was also about level design,solving puzzles and atmosphere. but i still have hopes for the new game and will probably end up buying it. and while we're at it, i highly recommend doom 64 for all those who haven't played it yet. for me, doom 64 will always be the real doom 3.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
i get the feeling that this might end up just like duke nukem forever did. maybe not as bad, but there was something special about the original doom series that did right, which can't be remade into a modern fps. the 2016 doom looks too action oriented. where as the original series, although was action packed, was also about level design,solving puzzles and atmosphere. but i still have hopes for the new game and will probably end up buying it. and while we're at it, i highly recommend doom 64 for all those who haven't played it yet. for me, doom 64 will always be the real doom 3.

Duke Nukem sucked because it was passed from two developers and it was being made for 10 years. This couldn't have less in common with it.

Also Doom 3 is great.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
god fucking dammit if this is true then there goes the one game i was looking forward to other than KOF 14. bullshit.

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Duke Nukem sucked because it was passed from two developers and it was being made for 10 years. This couldn't have less in common with it.

Also Doom 3 is great.

if you liked doom 3, then there's a good chance that you're not going to have any problems with the new game. i also enjoyed doom 3, but it wasn't very "doom" like. it had more in common with dead space than the original doom series.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
if you liked doom 3, then there's a good chance that you're not going to have any problems with the new game. i also enjoyed doom 3, but it wasn't very "doom" like. it had more in common with dead space than the original doom series.

It's nothing like deadspace. It also came out years before it too.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Loved Doom 3, and I'm having a lot of fun with the beta. Bear in mind, though I've always had a ton of fun with vs multiplayer in every Doom, I don't put a lot of importance on it. For me, the money is the campaign/co op mode. I'm not big on loadouts, but meh. There's still other pickups to be had, and playing as the Revenant is sweet, too. Can't wait for the full game to see what the other demons play like. I hear there was an update today that changed a lot (apparently added a mode where loadouts aren't needed, just like classic Doom) but I haven't tried it yet. Gonna jump back in tonight and see what's different!

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Loved Doom 3, and I'm having a lot of fun with the beta. Bear in mind, though I've always had a ton of fun with vs multiplayer in every Doom, I don't put a lot of importance on it. For me, the money is the campaign/co op mode. I'm not big on loadouts, but meh. There's still other pickups to be had, and playing as the Revenant is sweet, too. Can't wait for the full game to see what the other demons play like. I hear there was an update today that changed a lot (apparently added a mode where loadouts aren't needed, just like classic Doom) but I haven't tried it yet. Gonna jump back in tonight and see what's different!

Now your opinion I will trust on this one. You're the Doom connoisseur.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Now your opinion I will trust on this one. You're the Doom connoisseur.

So far (again, without knowing what changed in the update) the only other thing I'm torn on is the Rocket Launcher. I think it should pack a bit more of a punch than it does. But I DO like the remote detonation secondary of it. Fire it, and if your target strafes out of the way, hit secondary and blow it up when it's beside him, you'll still do at least 30 damage (At least that's what the vital signs bonus module says) Follow that up with a grenade while resuming fire, and boom, he's oatmeal. Very satisfying. The Plasma Rifle also has a pretty boss secondary. The guns feel meaty and satisfying, and hot DAMN do I love not needing to worry about reloading. Just like old doom, just get out that plasma gun and keep firing until you or the enemy is dead. No 40 round clip, just a white hot volley of pure death. Good times.

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
So far (again, without knowing what changed in the update) the only other thing I'm torn on is the Rocket Launcher. I think it should pack a bit more pf a punch than it does. But I DO like the remote detonation secondary of it. .

Wait what? That's a thing now!? Awesome!

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
tried the ps4 beta briefly, seemed like it could be fun but I wanted so badly to use my keyboard and mouse. I might just wait and play the PC version when released.