Dragon Quest X announced - In development for Wii (not PS3)

AirRaid

B. Jenet's Firstmate
You might recall that back in 1994, '95 and '96 the Sega Saturn was doing very well in Japan competing with the original PlayStation. Enix almost annouced Dragon Quest VII for the Saturn, until Sony's money hats disrupted the gaming landscape over there. DQVII was announced for PlayStation instead, and thus, PS1 sales exploded in 1997 in anticipation.

Now more than a decade later, It's Sony losing the biggest RPG in Japan. PS3's fate and Wii's fate have just been sealed, forever. One for the worse, one for the better.

Sony's dominance is truly, without a doubt, OVER.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssConsumerGoodsAndRetailNews/idUST11627020081210
Square Enix to make Dragon Quest X for the Wii
Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:00am EST

TOKYO, Dec 10 (Reuters) - Japan's Square Enix Holdings Co Ltd will develop the next version of its blockbuster "Dragon Quest" game series for Nintendo Co Ltd's Wii game console, aiming to expand the fantasy game's fan base.

The launch date and selling price for Dragon Quest X (Ten) has yet to be set, said the game software maker

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21455

Square Enix Announces Dragon Quest X For Wii

Square Enix Announces Dragon Quest X For Wii Square Enix has announced that the next core game in the Dragon Quest series will be released for the Wii, as part of a press conference in Japan revealing the release date of Dragon Quest IX on the Nintendo DS.

Although it enjoys only limited success in the West, Dragon Quest is the second most successful series of all time in Japan, behind only Pokémon. The series was originally closely associated with Nintendo on the NES and SNES and its move, along with Final Fantasy, to the PlayStation was viewed as one of the core factors behind Sony’s early success in Japan.

Since Pokémon is a Nintendo-owned franchise, Dragon Quest is often seen as a "kingmaker" in Japan, with much speculation preceding the announcement of Dragon Quest IX for the DS in 2006.

Dragon Quest IX's migration to the DS was seen by many as a holding measure, provoking speculation that the next game would be released on a home console. This has proven correct, with series creator Yuji Horii announcing that Dragon Quest X is already in development for the Wii.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/937/937167p1.html

Dragon Quest 10 Announced for Wii
The tenth installment in Square Enix's famous RPG series set for Wii.
by Matt Casamassina

December 9, 2008 - RPG fans, you might want to sit down for this one.

Square Enix held a surprise press conference in Tokyo on Wednesday and with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata in attendance revealed that the hotly anticipated Dragon Quest 9 will be coming to DS on March 28 in Japan for 5980 yen ($64 USD).

By far the bigger news, however, is that that Square Enix and Nintendo announced that Dragon Quest 10 is being developed for Wii. No details on the project were given.

According to a live blog by the site Gemaga, DQ creator Yuji Horii took the stage and made the announcement. Afterward, Iwata was quoted as saying, "Thank you very much for announcing Dragon Quest X for Wii." A Reuters story later confirmed the news.

The Dragon Quest series is extremely popular in Japan, each update selling millions of copies. This latest announcement is sure to generate continued appeal for Nintendo's already popular console in the homeland.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3171750

Dragon Quest X Announced for Wii
As if the system wasn't selling well enough in Japan...
By Sam Kennedy, 12/09/2008

At an event in Japan to play up the March 28th, 5,980 yen ($64.73 -- yeah, they're going to charge that much for it over there) release of Dragon Quest IX for DS, Square Enix just announced Dragon Quest X is coming to the Wii. Considered the most important game franchise in Japan, this Dragon Quest announcement is a huge win for Nintendo and its Wii console. Sure, X wouldn't be the first Dragon Quest game to hit the Wii (the DQ spinoff Dragon Quest Swords was released on the platform earlier this year), but it would be the first true Dragon Quest sequel to hit a Nintendo console since Enix took the series to Sony's consoles with Dragon Quest VII (PS1) and Dragon Quest VIII (PS2). It's significant.

Unfortunately, few other details are known about the RPG yet, but Nintendo president Satoru Iwata (shown above with Square Enix president Yoichi Wada and Dragon Quest creator Yuji Horii) was on hand and rightfully thrilled.

Interestingly, the new issue of EGM magazine has a rumor that Dragon Quest IX will also be appearing on the Wii, similar to how Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Echoes of Time will be playable on both the Nintendo DS and Wii. Whether this pans out or not, it's clear Square Enix is moving more of its development resources over to the Wii.

more:

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/newsArt.cfm?artid=17353
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=333139
http://www.cubed3.com/news/11277

Last edited:

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
No doubt that it is a big blow to the PS3 and a huge boost for the Wii among a more traditional gaming community in Japan, but one thing to remember about your story was how FFVII had boosted the Playstation brand in Japan before the release of DQVII. Square had even spoken with Enix about making sure both games released on the same system.

It is going to be odd having DQX on the Wii and FFXIII on the PS3 in Japan. It's going to be interesting to see how FFXIII performs in Japan and what kind of impact it has.

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
bender-doomed.jpg

DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Well, I guess I won't be able to get rid of my Wii now.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Dragon Quest have to be some of the most boring not fun games ever made.
oh
fucking
no

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Makes plenty of sense...

What could the PS3 offer Square that the Wii couldn't (Besides a smaller user base and smaller margins due to higher development costs)?

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Dragon Quest... ahh, with your barely-existent plotlines, dull-as-dishwater combat engines, atrocious art direction (freakin' Akira Toriyama crap), and completely uninspired overall feel... your absence in my home hasn't been felt since Dragon Warrior 1 for the NES got tossed in the trash (and deservedly so).

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
I was against buying a wii, but now I will have to get one.

Dragon Quest VIII was one of my favorite games. I can' t wait to get my hands on Dragon Quest IX. Hopefully they will take a long time to make DQX so I can wait a while on picking a wii up and then wasting all my time on it.

I still remember when DQVIII was released. I was teaching at a conversation school and half of the students were playing it. Everyone had big circles under their eyes from staring at bight colors and mindless leveling.

Can't wait!

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Didn't Sony lose Dragon Quest when they announced DQ9 for the DS several months ago?

Snuh

Sieger's Squire
Aw crap. If its on Wii then that means the game is going to be some kind of kiddy monster game where you can raise them on a farm, take pictures of them, and pet them with the Wii remote.

thirdkind

Chin's Bartender
20 Year Member
Am I supposed to get excited about DQX looking like complete ass running at 480p? I had fun with Twilight Princess for a while, but I couldn't stop thinking about how bad it looked whenever I played it because I'd just finished a round of Uncharted.

Yes, graphics do matter to some of us. Get over it.

I'm also trying really, really hard to think of the last Japanese-developed game I bought. Probably Super Mario Galaxy, which I got last Christmas. Still in the shrink wrap. What have I been playing since then? COD4, Uncharted, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 mostly.

Net effect of DQX being Wii-exclusive on my life: zero.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Am I supposed to get excited about DQX looking like complete ass running at 480p? I had fun with Twilight Princess for a while, but I couldn't stop thinking about how bad it looked whenever I played it because I'd just finished a round of Uncharted.

Yes, graphics do matter to some of us. Get over it.

I'm also trying really, really hard to think of the last Japanese-developed game I bought. Probably Super Mario Galaxy, which I got last Christmas. Still in the shrink wrap. What have I been playing since then? COD4, Uncharted, Oblivion, and Fallout 3 mostly.

Net effect of DQX being Wii-exclusive on my life: zero.

From what I remember about previous games... The wii might suit the art style well.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
The issue here is that it's a huge blow to Sony, whether one likes the series or not. Personally, I find it execrable. But the fact is, it moves units and sells systems. Schools close on its release date throughout Japan. It's a cultural phenomenon, for some bizarre reason.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I love Dragon Quest, but can't stand the Wii. What to do.. :mad:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
This and the new punch out news are boosting my love for the wii.. Glad to say I own one.

Dragon Quest is my second favorite rpg series right behind Suikoden.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
The timing of this announcement is very odd, as the game is probably years away.

Could it be this is to counter the rumour that Capcom is about to kick Nintendo in the balls and reveal that Monster Hunter 3 isnt Wii exclusive?