Favorite 'Star Wars' Movie? Plus more on ESB.....

What is your favorite Star Wars movie?

• The Phantom Menace

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Revenge of the Sith

• The Phantom Menace / Maybe Ep3

• Attack of the Clones / Maybe Ep3

• Total voters

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
Having been at the 'Star Wars Celebration 3' this past weekend, and seeing the dork factor at the highest possible levels, something sort of bothered me, and got me thinking. With this new 'movie' what will become of my favorite movie, The Empire Strikes Back.

Here in lies the problem, the plot of this movie is totally destroyed unless it is handled very delicately in this new movie. Yoda is already ruined, so, the climax of the film itself will hedge on how well the third is written. Seeing the usual thread 'Lucas raped my childhood' got me to think, is Lucas raping the childhood of the future, destroying what is one of the most complex Sci Fi movies written (no thanks to Lucas for the story) that is extremely popular, where the good guys actually lose, and did not sink in the box office?

If what we saw from the clips is any indication of the quality of the newest movie, this should certainly be a good topping off of the series.

And for the scary stuff, Star Wars TV series, 100 episodes, takes place between the third movie and the original, first season direct/written totally by Lucas. Thats the rumors, and work is being done on it already.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I am looking forward to it. Empire is also my current fav.

From what I have seen it looks Impressive. I certainly thought AOTC was more the style I wanted from the prequels after Phantom.

Latley though when I watch Phantom I dont mind it nearly as much and some of what he put in there makes sense as we lead up to this final film.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
While I certainly don't place myself in the inner circle of dorks who live and breathe STAR WARS, I do feel that George Lucas seriously ass raped everything that was great about the orignal films, and that these new ones simply lack the "Young Upstart" spirit he had when making Episodes 4-6. *That said, my fave of the original trilogy has always been Empire Strikes Back, but then I'm an over analytical "brooding" always serious bloke to begin with, so the upbeat nature of EP #4: ANH, and the more child friendly nonsense of EP #6: ROTJ never sat well with me even as a kid. And everything I've seen from TPM, and AOTC just didn't make my balls tingle at all.

...thus ESB > maybe EP #3: ROTS

MERCENARY X99

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
100 tv episodes?
who's getting paid to write the dialogue, 'cuz it sure ain't gonna be lucas himself...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
My favorite is the original. To me, it holds together best. Great pacing in that movie... It's hard to think of another movie that has that relentless forward momentum from beginning to end. Even in dialogue or exposition scenes, everything moves ahead real well without a dull moment.

Empire is real close, but I've never been crazy about how part of the middle section of the film is edited together (If they just switched the order of a couple scenes...). From a Hollywood standpoint Empire is definitely better, because it has things like the love story, which people are used to seeing in every single movie.

Mouse_Master

Support your local Sheriff, ,
Staff member
kafuin_gaira said:
100 tv episodes?
who's getting paid to write the dialogue, 'cuz it sure ain't gonna be lucas himself...

Dialog? Plot? Lucas write? My guess is it will be an action series, but they (most Lucasfilm people) were quite mum on the issue. We heard more from the artists than anyone else, and they were just talking about doing designs. To be really honest, I think Lucas should get the B5 guy, and the Buffy guy together to do the series.

'Basically' they said Lucas had nothing to do since the movie has been completed, so this is next. I have seen talk of another TV series, but no clue on what it is exactly. The Star Wars movie was completed (final edit) last Tuesday, and the alleged final script for Indy 4 was turned in last Monday.

Hell, Lucas made Greedo shoot first, so my guess is next he will make it so the sword guy shoots at Indy first.... He is still 'tinkering' with the movies though, expect SE versions of Ep 1 (they redid Yoda at least), maybe Ep 2, and more of 4, 5, 6.....

aria

Former Moderator
I reserve judgment, but I am not optimistic that ESB will be challenged in any serious way.

I still laugh when I think of this guy (otherwise sharp) who told me that Episode 2 was amazing. I'd seen it already so I kind of looked at him like "what? It was okay, better than 1, but c'mon."
Meh: he was this large, pear-shaped med school student who looked like he studied his entire undergrad experience away and clearly never really dated. He sort of looked like a panda. That was actually the quick-reference nickname we all had for him when he wasn't around, "The Panda". No one else I knew had been given a nickname...

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Empire.

And I don't think you really have to worry about episode III being the best of the six, Mouse Master. It's looking pretty good at this point, but honestly these new movies just don't have the same appeal the episodes IV-VI had. But who knows, maybe hell will freeze over.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
For me it's still all about Return of the Jedi.

The redemption of Anakin Skywalker/Death of Darth Vader just does it for me. The climax of that film with Vader and Luke on the death star and then Anakin saving the day is just classic.

Thats not to say ESB isn't great, i've just got a soft spot for RotJ.

I want to go to opening of the new film with a shirt that says "IT'S A TRAP"

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I really, really wanted to love Jar-Jar, but Revenge of the Sith looks like it might finally redeem Lucas for a little while...

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
I have to see Revenge of the Sith first. Something tells me this will be the best or the second best, before or after Empire Strikes Back. A New Hope was too slow to me and Return of the Jedi was ruined with the Ewoks. So After May 19th(hopefully) I'll be all ready for it.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
How was Yoda ruined?

His fight scene in EP2 was probably the best part of the movie. I mean he was the most powerful Jedi for a reason, them showing what he could do "back in his day" fight was was pretty cool IMO.

neo>all

Super nO0b
JHendrix said:
How was Yoda ruined?

His fight scene in EP2 was probably the best part of the movie. I mean he was the most powerful Jedi for a reason, them showing what he could do "back in his day" fight was was pretty cool IMO.

muppets>cgi models :mr_t:

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
neo>all said:
muppets>cgi models :mr_t:

I thought he looked great. They made it hard to tell that he was all CGI, unlike JarJar and the other gungans.

Plus that scene in EP2 couldn't have been as cool if he weren't CGI.

barf

Maxima's Barber
I should look after the old tshirt i made for episode 2 with ALF saying "WILLY, I WANT TO BE JAR JAR !"

The episode 3 looks promising in that it looks dark in mood, empire strikes back beeing by far my favourite... but The Avengers taught me not to trust fully a trailer.

Episode 2 redeemed a bit the thing since it went deeper in the Extended Universe than the more shallow Episode 1 (still entertaining if you rip off jar jar and anakin lines).

I see the series (not the CG one) as a possibility to put on screen the 30 years of extended universe goodness filling the gap between original and prequel. I hope lucas won t write it, let s have James Luceno or Sean Williams do it (i like their New Jedi Orders books).

edit: i liked how Yoda fought too, but i had to go back see the movie at a low - audience time because the laughs of people ruined it the first time for me (i have free tickets theater card)

Last edited:

Dean

Choi's Clawmaker
Lagduf said:
I want to go to opening of the new film with a shirt that says "IT'S A TRAP"
I think I just destroyed all the paperwork on my desk LOL'ing my coffee.

Empire is just amazing. Everything about it. The characters, the dark story lines, the suspence of the ending. I just pray to god that one day I'll be able to buy episods 4-6 on DVD in ORIGINAL form, but I think I'd suffocate holding my breath that long.

barf

Maxima's Barber
D-Lite said:
I think I just destroyed all the paperwork on my desk LOL'ing my coffee.

Empire is just amazing. Everything about it. The characters, the dark story lines, the suspence of the ending. I just pray to god that one day I'll be able to buy episods 4-6 on DVD in ORIGINAL form, but I think I'd suffocate holding my breath that long.

I got a pretty good LD to DVD tranfer from china from the original trilogy, you should try to get one.

Why on earth did they change the Return of the Jedi ending or did not get rid of the buggy Jabba deleted scene of New Hope in the dvd box set :( Hopefully the audio and video restoration works are better than the Special Edition LDs.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
D-Lite said:

Agreed, it's probably the best film.

But damn, seeing vader in that moment of absolute torment when the emperor is shooting force lightning at luke. its just well, priceless. it's like for that brief period you can see the conflict within vader.

and then bam, bye bye emperor. like i said before, its all about the redemption of vader for me. thats the moment when the good guys truly win.

i'm just a sucker for a happy ending. to bad RotJ is arguably dumbed down with those ewoktards, etc. For some reason i don't mind the ewoks as much as jar jar and his faggot gungans. Probably because the ewoks don't speak english. besides they're cute.

wicket w warwick>jar jar binks

I'm also dying for a dvd release of the originals, minus the special edition bullshit.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
JHendrix said:
How was Yoda ruined?

hardly

A jedi that powerful wouldnt need to use a lightsaber
we don't see the emperor using one in rotj do we? no - he has other means of persuasion

the math lesson for today:

yoda fight scene=retarded
muppets>cgi

Mark of the Wolves

mullet bullet
The Emperor isn't a Jedi is he?

I think Yoda is the wiset Jedi, not the most powerful. Mace was the most powerful.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Mark of the Wolves said:
The Emperor isn't a Jedi is he?

I think Yoda is the wiset Jedi, not the most powerful. Mace was the most powerful.

Blasphemy.

Yoda was the most powerful in the force, i'm pretty sure. I was always under the impression jedi power was measured by how attuned to the force you were.

No, palpatine wasn't technically part of the Jedi Order, but anyone who can wield the force and a saber can be called a Jedi. most of the star wars shite i've read will refer to vader as a dark jedi knight and palpatine as a dark jedi master. this was before the prequels came out. and of course they were both "lords of the sith" or "sith lords." i assume this still stands?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
kafuin_gaira said:
sorry but annakin is the strongest jedi/sith/whatever.
it's teh pr0ph3cy.

i stand corrected - he is right. anakin is the strongest jedi. silly me, but you know what i meant.