Fighters with absurd unlockables

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Am I the only one who is absolutely sick of fighting games like Soul Calibur for locking extra characters and weapons under lengthy mini games that abandon all the rules of the fighting engine to pit you up against a handful of enemies that are a pain in the ass to beat? This is something that just hit me when I jumped on SC2 again for the first time in a while only to find I never totally unlocked everything. So I go into the mission mode only to get disgruntled within a short time and no longer care about the game at all. I don't mind the Tekken approach where you just beat the game and a new character pops up, but these sub games are bs.

The mini-games don't really add much to replay value. The development team should work hard to insure the replay of a fighter comes from the fun factor and balance of the vs game and initiate interesting twists on arcade mode, not irritate the players with repeated frustration of cheap fights and bore them to death with dungeon crawls that offer no challenge what-so-ever.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Force mode in the Tekken games sucked and is uncalled for. I did like Tekken bowling in Tag tournament as a unlockable, but Marvel vs. Capcom 2 has the best way of unlocking hidden characters.

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
Yeah, force mode in T3 was ass and the character released with its completion was a joke that made me wish I hadn't bothered. I don't know about MVC2 as I simply bought one of those memory cards that can transfer information from a PC for my DC. I like the actual fighting in the games, not these little side quests. Tekken Bowl didn't hold any unlockables that I recall, but I kinda liked the game itself. It was like League Bowling with updated graphics and variable power and speed levels attached to the characters.

H

hermegildo

I just hate how games nowadays have you start with nothing, and then you have to unlock even the most trivial of things. The assholes that do this are just cheaply forcing us to play their game over and over again to get an extra car, or another costume. Even the highly regarded Burnout 3 was like this. I returned that game soon after I bought it, because I wanted to play some VS. with my roommate, but we ended up playing the same two tracks, with the same two cars over and over because I hadn't unlocked anything yet. That's horrible game design to me.

I remember the days when an unlockable was actually something to be excited about. Now it's overdone just for the sake of extending gametime. MK: Deception with it's 500+ unlockables, anyone?

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I just started playing Mortal Kombat Deception on Gamecube, and that Konquest mode is certainly some silly shit. Definitely would seem to qualify for the list, due to the inherent silliness in unlocking "Shao Kahn's alternate music for Puzzle Kombat while eskimo midgets make love in the background" unlockable.