Final Fantasy 4 GBA vs DS

The Drizzle

Whip's Subordinate
Anyone who's played both which version do you prefer? I just picked up the DS one used and while the 3d graphics, cutscenes, and voice acting is nice i'm not sure if I'm liking it as much as I liked the original. I'm not some kind of otaku anime subbed and dubbed for all tastes keep 2d alive freak and i pretty much hate all JRPGs but I just felt like picking this up because its a classic and it'll give me something to do for a few minutes a day.
Should I go back and see if they have a used copy of the GBA version and swap it? I think the character models are pretty goofy in the DS version and the color pallete is kind of bland and lifeless compared to the bright colors of the GBA but is it an overall better experience on DS? Help me out, bros.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I do think the GBA version is better... they added extras which were taken away on the DS version, such as the ability to use all the characters at the end, plus I believe they got rid of the bonus dungeon on the DS version as well.

I would definitely try to find the GBA version if you are still interested.

RBjakeSpecial

Land of the Rising Bling:,
20 Year Member
GBA version all the way. Sometimes the GBA has some strange lag while in the combat menus, but you get used to it and it's not as bad as it sounds.

The DS graphics look a little drab to me. I just picked up Final Fantasy 6 for the GBA and it's REALLY good.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
I have played them both extensively, and I will say that I still prefer the SNES version, no less. However, between ONLY these two, I would say the DS one for sure. GBA's version is like a bastardized version of the SNES one.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
I haven't played the GBA version, but I prefer the original or even the PS1 version to the DS one. I didn't hate the DS version or anything, but for some reason it just didn't sit well with me. I could swear they ratcheted up the difficulty too, even over the original Japanese version (the PS1 game has that difficulty, and I never had any trouble with it at all). I found I suffered a lot of cheap deaths, and the final dungeon was a real pisser for going all the way to the bottom, then opening a chest with monsters I couldn't possibly kill, thus wiping my party and two or three hours of play. Lame. Plus I thought the new skill transfer thing was silly.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
The DS one is easily the hardest version. I got killed a lot by the same boss a few times... and I'm no stranger to this game. Beat it a ton of times on SNES. Something about the presentation (or maybe, the fact that it was the first one I played) on the SNES that I liked the best.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
I'd say the DS version is the best, if only because it is host to the best localization that Square has ever done. With the sole possible exception of Vagrant Story on the PS1.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Unfortunately for me, FF4 is one of those "you had to be there" games. I haven't really played any FF game before 6 so I decided to try FF4 earlier this year. I honestly find the game to be boring as hell. I've put it down for several months at a time then tried to pick it up again but I get so tired of playing it. Right now I'm in some dungeon where I have to constantly cast float on my party so they walk without touching the ground for some reason (can't remember why).

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
We had a thread about this a long time ago, but my opinion hasn't changed much. At the end of the day, the GBA version wins.

I like the old "super-deformed" graphical style the 16-bit version had. Its cutesy look is part of the charm that made the game fun.

I'm definitely not against a nice looking 3D remake, but the DS is hardly the platform for nice looking 3D anything. It tries, but the models and environments still look primitive and drab. Beyond that, they made Cecil look way too feminine. It's too sad and distracting what they did to him. I was half-expecting a plot twist where he takes off his armor to reveal a set of B-cups or bigger.

cecilulu.jpg

I know one day they'll finally get around to remaking FF6, but I desperately wish that it comes in the form of an HD PS3 game or something. But with handhelds being all the rage in Japan, that'll never happen.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I haven't played the GBA version, but I prefer the original or even the PS1 version to the DS one. I didn't hate the DS version or anything, but for some reason it just didn't sit well with me. I could swear they ratcheted up the difficulty too, even over the original Japanese version (the PS1 game has that difficulty, and I never had any trouble with it at all). I found I suffered a lot of cheap deaths, and the final dungeon was a real pisser for going all the way to the bottom, then opening a chest with monsters I couldn't possibly kill, thus wiping my party and two or three hours of play. Lame. Plus I thought the new skill transfer thing was silly.
Whole post quoted for truth. The augment system sucks in comparison to the two extra dungeons and the ability to change party members from the GBA version. Even though there were some odd glitches with the ATB, I definitely prefer the gameplay of the GBA FFIV over the DS one.

Sometimes I feel the bosses are so cheap it's ridiculous. I'm very far in levels and I'm easily owning all the regular, run-of-the-mill monsters, but then I'll get to the boss and it's like running into a brick wall. I know they wanted to make the boss fights more balanced (since many of them were much too easily gimmicked to death by casting reflect or using an opposing elemental spell in previous incarnations), but I feel like they went too far in the other direction.

I'm actually quite satisfied by the art, cutscenes, and extra story of FFIV DS, however. That alone made it worth the time to me. I do miss the old, colorful sprites, though.

I guess if I had to make a recommendation between the two and you haven't played through either yet, start with the GBA one. Then move on to the harder and more fan-servicey FFIV DS.