Finally about to own an AES!

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
So, after months of saving, I finally am about to buy an AES from a member of another site!

As someone new to the scene of actually *owning* a Neo-Geo, I do have some questions.

Q1. The unit I'm buying has a bios that allows it to switch between regions, as well as MVS / AES mode. Does this mean it can play MVS carts, or will I still have to get a converter?

Q2. I've been hearing that some Neo-Geo games get bootlegged. Is this only for AES carts, or does it happen to MVS carts too?

Q3. Can someone link me to a guide about how to spot bootlegs?

Q4. Why is the AES version of Metal Slug so expensive?

Q5. The first games I intend to grab are Samurai Spirits, King of Fighters '94 (or '98) and Fatal Fury 3. After those, what else should I think about?

Q6. What IS the price of tea in China, anyway? ;)

Thanks in advance!

tomboy2k3

NEST Puppet
Q1 You need a Converter

Q2 AES more than MVS

Q3 Wrong Question

Q4 Everybody just want it!

Q5 Fighting Games.: Garou MOTW, Last BLADE

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
You couldn't have picked a worse time.

Get out while you still can.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Additional questions.

Q7 - Meant to ask this one earlier: the memory card. I'm not interested in saving between levels in platformers etc, but are there fighting games where it'll allow me to save unlocked characters? Seems like the only real use it would have.

Q8 - Well, since I need a converter anyway, is there a place I can get one without paying $200+ for it?

Q9 - Why, exactly, do I need a converter? Is it simply because the cartridge won't fit in the slot, or is there some programming that the converter is needed to get around?

EDIT: @moonwhistle - Q10 - Why?

Last edited:

Heath

, cheyne stoking
Q9 - Why, exactly, do I need a converter? Is it simply because the cartridge won't fit in the slot, or is there some programming that the converter is needed to get around?

Correct they just don't fit, you can always carve around the cart slot, thats what a lot of us do. save you spending $200 on a converter

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Correct they just don't fit, you can always carve around the cart slot, thats what a lot of us do. save you spending $200 on a converter
Wait a minute.

Are you saying that if I remove the top off my Home Cart System, that the cart slot will accept MVS carts?

Is the same true for the use of Home Carts on a CMVS?

I'll admit to believing that neither were possible on the assumption that the actual boards/pins were different in size...

Naika

Street Hoop Star
Edmond, I've been dreaming of having an AES for about 12+ years, but as the years have waned by, I slowly started to realize that in the big picture for myself, I can't just possibly have one. The design of the AES is top notch and aesthetically pleasing, but for the price of carts and the possiblity of paying way too much for a possible b00t, I felt like it would be a risk. Hence, I went for the Omega CMVS. I get to jam on MVS carts that have a much higher percentage of being real, arcade quality software on a piece of hardware that's arcade tested with a great design in homage to the AES. If you're able to get a converter, cheers to ya, but for me, the money is too much for me to handle if I owned an AES.

Blondin

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Congrats Edmond for getting this wonderful machine. You won't regret it, believe me. ;)

If you need price guide for your first buys, check out mine, people says it's not bad http://www.neogeokult.com/aes-price-guide/

By the way, beautiful avatar of X-Multiply, a great Irem shooter!

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Additional questions.

Q7 - Meant to ask this one earlier: the memory card. I'm not interested in saving between levels in platformers etc, but are there fighting games where it'll allow me to save unlocked characters? Seems like the only real use it would have.

Q8 - Well, since I need a converter anyway, is there a place I can get one without paying $200+ for it?

EDIT: @moonwhistle - Q10 - Why?

Yes you need a converter. You can't just pop the top off. Yes you will be spending about $200 plus for a converter since it is a very desired item. And as to why you shouldn't collect now? Fucking French are buying them at ridiculous prices that everyone else is seeing and price gouging like crazy.

Last edited:

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
Huh? Dude above said it was just a matter of the cartridge not fitting... so who is right?

He was joking. MVS and AES carts have completely different pinouts. An MVS cart will never run directly in an AES. You need a converter.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Edmond, I've been dreaming of having an AES for about 12+ years, but as the years have waned by, I slowly started to realize that in the big picture for myself, I can't just possibly have one. The design of the AES is top notch and aesthetically pleasing, but for the price of carts and the possiblity of paying way too much for a possible b00t, I felt like it would be a risk. Hence, I went for the Omega CMVS. I get to jam on MVS carts that have a much higher percentage of being real, arcade quality software on a piece of hardware that's arcade tested with a great design in homage to the AES. If you're able to get a converter, cheers to ya, but for me, the money is too much for me to handle if I owned an AES.

12 years?! Just buy a fucking AES, please. Admit it, every time you turn on your CMVS a piece of you dies inside. It's not a home machine, it's not an arcade machine, it's some kind of inbetween bullshit. It's homade. Someone will be posting up one of those forest inspired wooden dildo CMVS things next.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
12 years?! Just buy a fucking AES, please. Admit it, every time you turn on your CMVS a piece of you dies inside. It's not a home machine, it's not an arcade machine, it's some kind of inbetween bullshit. It's homade. Someone will be posting up one of those forest inspired wooden dildo CMVS things next.

Well said.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I wish. I can't get any Metal Slug on it regardless guys, or MOTW or etc. No money brah. :P

Welcome bud, and don't worry too much about not being able to afford certain titles.

There's a guy on here who goes by the name of 8man, he's got a MASSIVE collection with lots of duplicates. He will sort you out no problem, just wait patiently for him to get in touch with you. :lolz: Before you know it you'll have a Big Timers collection :buttrock:

Once again welcome my man.

Last edited:

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
So, any n00b behaviors I should avoid?

I already know the following:

1. Don't ask for tips on making a conversion.

2. Don't ask for or sell bootlegs, at least not without admitting up front that that's what they are (personally I hope I never wind up with a bootleg in my collection).

3. Never ever suggest that the Gameboy Color was better than the NGPC

4. Use only genuine interocetor parts.

Any I missed?

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
Fuck am I so glad I got my AES back in '99 and most games I wanted for it by 2008... thanks to threads like this.

BTW, go full MVS taking the hit for a good cab, unless you really want either a half-ass collection or don't mind spending $10,000-$20,000 over the years... not to mention the high risk of boots for Pulstarbz and Meddle Slugz.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

Don't expect serious answers and or helpful information regarding any question you have outside of tech or cab stuff. Most people who post regularly and only try to be funny do so because they don't have anything to contribute.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,

I already know the following:

1. Don't ask for tips on making a conversion.

2. Don't ask for or sell bootlegs, at least not without admitting up front that that's what they are (personally I hope I never wind up with a bootleg in my collection).

3. Never ever suggest that the Gameboy Color was better than the NGPC

4. Use only genuine interocetor parts.

Any I missed?

The Gameboy Color had a much better library than the NGPC