Finally getting into LCD or Plasma, but which?

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
I'll be returning to Canada next month until January to tend to some personal business but in the meantime I'll be working at my old job there to pass the time as well.

So I figured since I'll be back to earning money like I used to, I might as well take advantage of one specific purchase that I'll never be able to accomplish here in Argentina: Upgrading my TV set (and likely picking up another PS3 with some movies and a few games since I sold my other two here)

I've been overly happy with my now-dated Panasonic 34" CT34WX54 HDTV CRT but the lack of 720p was one of the reasons I sold my PS3 (apart from lack of interesting software at the time, last year) and while HD content in 1080i looks great from my 360, I'm thinking that for the first year that I had the set I had it in torch mode before I knew the damage that would cause the set, may have downgraded the visuals since I've noticed it's not as impressive as it once was.

Anyway, the set still works wonders for all my SD inputs so there will be no "does my Neo look good on it?" questions in this thread as my CRT will do just fine.

So only content that can take advantage of 480p and up will be used and absolutely NO TV signals since the standard here is PAL (I don't watch TV anyway)

Now that I've given a background, here are my inputs:

-XBOX360
-PS3
-PS2
-Gamecube or Wii
-PC (through VGA or HDMI, not sure how this works)

I have an HD system selector which now will become lokely moot since my XBOX and now possible PS2 will connect to the CRT which already has two component inputs. The new set will have enough inputs for everything else between component and HDMI.

Now, I know with LCD I should consider response time and contrast ratio, something I've never had to consider with a CRT before and plasma I'm wondering about burn in and possibly it not being a good choice were I to connect a PC to it.

The point here is that SD is not an issue for me, so I'm not concerned with PQ in that respect, only for HD content. The only thing SD that I might watch would likely be a DVD movie if it comes to that using my old Pioneer DVD player (a PS3 wastes to much energy just to play an SD movie in progressive scan, PS2 is a better option for that)

I've found a few models I'm considering, all in the 42" range which is perfect. I don't want smaller or bigger:

Toshiba 42" Flat-Panel LCD HDTV (42AV500U) 1366x768 Native $900
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010100626&catid=

Toshiba REGZA 42" 1080p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV (42RV530U) $1200
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010099920&catid=

Panasonic 42" Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV (TH42PX80) $1150
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010100624&catid=

Samsung 42" Plasma HDTV (PN42A450) $970
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010100028&catid=

LG 42" 120Hz Flat-Panel Plasma HDTV (42PG25) $1100
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0770HDS0010100036&catid=

You'll notice all the plasmas I've selected have the same native resolution of 1024x768, because price is an issue here as I'm not trying to go above $1200, the price of the native 1080p Toshiba LCD.

They all have varying contrast ratios and I know that plasmas destroy LCD sets in this department. Also, response times for the LCD sets are 6 and 5ms, and I don't know if that's good or not but it seems ideal for a PC.

Hell, I'm not sure ANY of the sets I linked to are any good, my knowledge of these sets is next to nothing.

I'll be sitting about 8 feet away from the set so I'm not even sure if 1080p will look any different than 720p or 1080i for that matter.

Sorry for the long post and I appreciate and say thanks in advance for any opinions from satisfied customers of either technology, especially if you have/had both at any one time for comparisons.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
I admit the Panasonic is one that I liked, but I was leaning more towards the Toshiba with the native 1080p, if only because of the ability to connect a PC to it.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
You're not going to get the same PQ from the Toshiba, so you're going to have to choose.

What I hear from people who expected to use their new flat panel tv's as computer monitors is that it turned out to be very impractical. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on pc usage when buying a tv. HTPC usage is just fine with a 42" plasma tv if you output 1080p or 720p from the pc using HDMI or DVI.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
You're not going to get the same PQ from the Toshiba, so you're going to have to choose.

What I hear from people who expected to use their new flat panel tv's as computer monitors is that it turned out to be very impractical. I wouldn't put too much emphasis on pc usage when buying a tv. HTPC usage is just fine with a 42" plasma tv if you output 1080p or 720p from the pc using HDMI or DVI.

No issues of burn in being that it's a plasma?

A PC connection isn't necessary, I just thought it would be a nice option if I decided I wanted to game now and then on my PC.

Obviously PQ is central, that being the case a plasma would be the better choice. I just seemed to like the LCD's ability to not have any issues with burn-in. Like I said, HD games would be the primary connection and some SD movies as well.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
No issues of burn in being that it's a plasma?

Only if you leave the same picture on for more than 48 hours in a row. And even then some sort of burn-in washer dvd will save the tv with no trouble anyway.

A PC connection isn't necessary, I just thought it would be a nice option if I decided I wanted to game now and then on my PC.

Of course that shouldn't be a problem. What I was referring to was people who thought they were going to surf the web or work in Word on the tv, and they found out it just didn't work all too well.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
If a plasma says it's 720p, it's actually 1024x768 and your PC will look like crap on it. Don't even consider a plasma that's not 1080p.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Do you prefer 720p to 1080i? Because I think I prefer 1080i. You miss out on some of the resolution with 720p, and I just don't seem very sensitive to the difference of progressive scan with video games.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
Do you prefer 720p to 1080i? Because I think I prefer 1080i. You miss out on some of the resolution with 720p, and I just don't seem very sensitive to the difference of progressive scan with video games.

I'll be dead honest - I have the same exact set that Sal (Argentina94) has.

I've seen demos of games in full 1080p - and they did not look much better than my TV.

Heavenly Sword and GTA IV on the PS3... they looked beautiful, but I don't see a significant difference in PQ between my set and the couple of displays.

I have no desire to own another television when I have a perfect set right here.

If they made a CRT that hangs on the wall, I'd be for it.

Notice I said "significant" difference.