Flip Shot?

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
..I've never even heard of this game. Anyhow, I've got a guy that notifies me when he gets in SNK stuff and I got an e-mail this morning letting me know he has Flip Shot kits for $65 shipped. My questions are

1) Is it game worth playing?
2) Is the price guide correct on the kit value?

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
The game is a good enough game. It's similar to Windjammers in that you are bouncing the disc/ball around the playing field in order to score points behind the enemy player, but instead of winning with a best score, you are trying to win by an elimination race. It's different then Bang Bead as the graphics are slightly less refined and you are using a shield to press the advantage instead of the force of impact from a punch.

As for the value of the kit, if you are referring to the Neo-Geo.com JP kit price and that recent glut of "from China" Flip Shot MVS kits, I don't know what to think. If it's an ENG kit then I especially don't know what to think. But in the end, a Bang Bead is probably more valued in people's eyes regardless just cause of past history of its rarity.

Hope that helps!

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
I personally don't see the attraction to flip shot. Kind of boring to me, but a lot of ppl like it.

$65 shipped for a kit? Uh, yeah that's as good as it gets.

What Heath said... all of them.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's pong with people instead of paddles.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I had it for a while, it's fun in two player but kind of boring for single player. Windjammers is certainly better.

I'd buy it again for $65 if I had the chance, it usually goes for more than that. I sold a loose copy a few years back with a shockbox for $100 shipped.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Excellentcom sent out an email saying they've got kits for the same price. Someone may have just found a huge container full of Flip Shots. Haha... That hasn't happened since Super Dodge Ball.

Edit: To add to that, should you buy it? Sure. It's a great price for the game if you dig Pong style games. As others have said, Bang Bead is more valuable (Flip Shot's sequel) and Windjammers is a hell of a lot more popular, but it's still a rare game and a good price if you're wanting to add it to your collection. I passed on Excellent's offer today because I already have Bang Bead and I don't really want a Flip Shot. That's kind of it... If you're buying to (really no pun intended) flip it, then it's probably going to be a questionable offer. Only reason being Excellentcom has them for the same price, your buddy has some too. There are definitely a lot of Flipshot kits about to enter the market and tanking its resale value. It'll still be worth $65 and change for a while due to shipping costs/etc, but don't expect to sell these for $200+ a pop ;) Maybe one or two on eBay to the suckers, but not many after that. Of course, if you want to buy a few and sit on them for a few years they could be worth some cash... but then, I can also give you way better advice on investments that will far outperform Neo Geo carts :D

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Awesome, maybe I can pick up a loose cart on the cheap, I don't do kits.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Wait a while and perhaps loose carts will coming down in price and be even cheaper than these kits.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

Yep, Excellent had Driftouts yesterday too, but were sold out by the afternoon. Good to see there are more of those out there, and it wasn't just a few kits. I did snag a Driftout for $65 from Excellent yesterday. Who could pass on that? ;) Since these are both Visco games, I'm guessing someone found a nice big chunk of them somewhere. It's about time we found a nice fresh supply of some games. Now, if only someone could find a crate of SSVS kits!

mmsadda

Just buy my shit. Seriously. You can call me Susan
10 Year Member
Sweet! Maybe Breakers Revenge kits will turn up next.

And yes, $65 for a kit is great

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Yep, Excellent had Driftouts yesterday too, but were sold out by the afternoon. Good to see there are more of those out there, and it wasn't just a few kits. I did snag a Driftout for $65 from Excellent yesterday. Who could pass on that? ;) Since these are both Visco games, I'm guessing someone found a nice big chunk of them somewhere. It's about time we found a nice fresh supply of some games. Now, if only someone could find a crate of SSVS kits!

I picked up a Driftout kit as well. And I'm also waiting for these Samurai Special carts to show up, there's got to me out there.

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
My Neo driftout kit came in yesterday. It looks amazing, brand new never been used condition.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
My Neo driftout kit came in yesterday. It looks amazing, brand new never been used condition.

My cart looks brand new as well. Label has a small tear in it where the shells meet. I'm talking really small like pin-hole sized in the middle of it, and the box is a little bit beaten up, but overall fine... Marquee looks yellowed with age, but is in good shape and the rest of the art is in perfect shape overall. Mine looks like a respectable Driftout kit, and for $65 I'm pretty pleased. Not brand-spanking new, but then for this price who could argue.

Definitely all legit, and the stickers on the side for QC are in Korean, so maybe that's where these all came from?

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I was poking around Excellentcoms site, and I'm tempted to get one. The Metal Slug 4 kit is even more tempting because its only $58 bucks. Even with air mail postage its just under $74, and it would complete my slug kits. I like flip shot its a fun game and at that price it's hard to turn down.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That's an excellent price.

But...

...it's Metal Slug 4.

Sometimes it hurts being a completionist.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I was poking around Excellentcoms site, and I'm tempted to get one. The Metal Slug 4 kit is even more tempting because its only $58 bucks. Even with air mail postage its just under $74, and it would complete my slug kits. I like flip shot its a fun game and at that price it's hard to turn down.

I've purchased MS4 and MS5 kits from Excellentcom. They're definitely the best price you're going to find for that game.

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
That's an excellent price.

But...

...it's Metal Slug 4.

Sometimes it hurts being a completionist.

Haha your right, but I gotta have it! I did order it the other day. I just couldn't pass it up. It's the first time I've ever orders from them. They sent me two pics of the kit one opened up showing all the contents and then another one all wrapped up with the declaration and address label attached.

Teddyboy16

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I've purchased MS4 and MS5 kits from Excellentcom. They're definitely the best price you're going to find for that game.

They where very responsive. Answered my questions in a prompt manner. I wasn't sure about them at first, but from what I've read so far, people like dealing with them. It did order it and now I'm just waiting for it to come in the mail. Now I have a complete slug series. Not all of them are complete kits, but I'm piecing the other Slugs 2, X, and 3 into complete kits.,

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Excellentcom sent out an email saying they've got kits for the same price. Someone may have just found a huge container full of Flip Shots. Haha... That hasn't happened since Super Dodge Ball.

Edit: To add to that, should you buy it? Sure. It's a great price for the game if you dig Pong style games. As others have said, Bang Bead is more valuable (Flip Shot's sequel) and Windjammers is a hell of a lot more popular, but it's still a rare game and a good price if you're wanting to add it to your collection. I passed on Excellent's offer today because I already have Bang Bead and I don't really want a Flip Shot. That's kind of it... If you're buying to (really no pun intended) flip it, then it's probably going to be a questionable offer. Only reason being Excellentcom has them for the same price, your buddy has some too. There are definitely a lot of Flipshot kits about to enter the market and tanking its resale value. It'll still be worth $65 and change for a while due to shipping costs/etc, but don't expect to sell these for $200+ a pop ;) Maybe one or two on eBay to the suckers, but not many after that. Of course, if you want to buy a few and sit on them for a few years they could be worth some cash... but then, I can also give you way better advice on investments that will far outperform Neo Geo carts :D

Looks like Kenny took my advice to sell them to suckers for $200 a pop ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drift-Out-J...916?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5aed8e80cc

I'd like to personally say I regret making the above post now. :D