For a CMVS: would you rather use Neo Geo or SNES controllers?

Cross

n00b
Would you rather be playing with unmodified SNES controllers or stick with the 15 D Sub connection we use now?

I like the SNES idea because its the same style controller and I can use the cheap SNES arcade sticks for authentic feel (plus I can also have only 4 controllers total to play all my systems pre Xbox).

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Keep it original. That's how the MVS games were meant to be played and if you want an arcade stick it is very easy to modify nearly anything to work on a Neo.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I actually use a Saturn controller for my supergun, works great. Not a big fan of the Neo Geo cd microswitches

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I can use the cheap SNES arcade sticks for authentic feel

3md.gif

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Original, definitely. It's a lot easier to make a stick Neo compatible than SNES compatible, and although I like the regular SNES controller it's hard to find a good (and I mean, really good) SNES joystick.

I have been thinking about making a Neo compatible SNES controller though, I'm becoming increasingly dissatisfied with the Neo CD pad.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Why SNES of all things? The 6-button Genesis pad would be much more suitable, as it has an awesome D-pad. Or do like Spandex says and go with a Saturn pad. Or stick with the 15-pin port and use an arcade stick like a real man.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Go for arcade authentic.

DAP_3298_zpsa358c7bb.jpg

Japanese or American style parts, your preference. Play it as it was intended to play in an arcade.

blotter12

Kabuki Klasher
I like the neo geo pad & sticks. The next stick I use on my CMVS will be a homemade stick though.

I wouldn't do the SNES pad, because I find it not so good for fighting games (and I first learned to play street fighter on one!). I would prefer a Saturn pad over that...

Controllers are very personal though. You gotta do what's comfortable for you :)

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Nice one! I love the solid buttons. I think I might have actually based my mod on seeing a picture of yours.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
After using both the aes stick and a modified/3rd party/DIY version I would probably never go back to OEM sticks/pads. The button layout on the aes stick is kind of at a weird angle too for me at least.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
After using both the aes stick and a modified/3rd party/DIY version I would probably never go back to OEM sticks/pads. The button layout on the aes stick is kind of at a weird angle too for me at least.

I agree. I've been using that pictured AES stick since I got my CMVS, until I picked up an AI stick last week. I can never go back. And I've been playing a lot more Neo. Probably part of it is the "newness" of the new stick, but part of it is that this new stick is just much more comfortable and an overall pleasure to use. That being said, upgrading the buttons in an AES stick also makes a huge difference.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Why SNES of all things? The 6-button Genesis pad would be much more suitable, as it has an awesome D-pad. Or do like Spandex says and go with a Saturn pad. Or stick with the 15-pin port and use an arcade stick like a real man.

SNES pads are relatively easy to find in good condition, I have a hard time finding legit Genesis pads that aren't knockoffs or Majesco pads, and I'm not sure I want to sacrifice the lovely Saturn pads.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Congrats on the new stick, but I do have to say I really like the way your OEM one looks!

I agree. I've been using that pictured AES stick since I got my CMVS, until I picked up an AI stick last week. I can never go back. And I've been playing a lot more Neo. Probably part of it is the "newness" of the new stick, but part of it is that this new stick is just much more comfortable and an overall pleasure to use. That being said, upgrading the buttons in an AES stick also makes a huge difference.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Congrats on the new stick, but I do have to say I really like the way your OEM one looks!

Yeah, thanks. It plays pretty well, too. But like someone said above, the angle of the buttons isn't right, and it affects comfort.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I would build or purchase an Custom Neo Style stick. I 'm gathering materials to build one for my Home Console.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
As has been mentioned, mod a Model 2 Saturn controller. Your best alternative to an actual stick...

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Saturn pad prices have shot up so much recently. But man, that d-pad.

Ninjainspandex

Sakura's Bank Manager
I'm getting a hori RAP 3 stick Cthulu modded so it works on every system. I'll post pics when I get it ;)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Yeah, what everybody else said. Custom made sticks are cheap, durable and feel better than anything else if done right. Do a search here on the forums, there's a billion threads about that route. You can also mod an existing stick to get you started, look for a comfortable layout and that the components you want in it will fit. DB15 is the way to go for the Neo, no encoding bullshit.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Would you rather be playing with unmodified SNES controllers or stick with the 15 D Sub connection we use now?

I like the SNES idea because its the same style controller and I can use the cheap SNES arcade sticks for authentic feel (plus I can also have only 4 controllers total to play all my systems pre Xbox).
The Neo Geo has a lot of fighters, so that's why you would want to use a stick. And you get some of the AES experience by using the AES stick with a CVMS. And it's an arcade system, so would want to play it with the same control method as in the arcade. Sticks are a lot better than controllers for fighters, for a number of reasons that aren't always readily apparent (for example, it's harder to switch directions with your fighter with a controller, and you can't really "piano" the buttons- play the buttons like a piano).

Last edited: