For a CMVS: would you rather use Neo Geo or SNES controllers?

Vigormortis

Armored Scrum Object
My vote is for the Hori fightstick. In my case, it was a no brainer, since I already had a pair of fightsticks for the PS3. I just attached a female DB15 port to each one, wired the buttons to it, and bought 2 cheap M/F DB15 cables from monoprice. It's a hell of a lot better than any SNES controller, and the fightstick still retains its original functionality as a PS3 controller.

420p

King's Dry Cleaner
I use an Old Style Board with Sanwa snap in buttons and the Neo CD joypad for the second player. All good.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
As for the arcade sticks I was looking for the old style but also heard about the hori fighting stick (I or II, I don't really know the difference) but I don't know if it's better then the old style or I shouldn't spend money buying the hori...?
Depends entirely on your preferences. As Xian Xi pointed out the Hori is heavier (I only own the 2nd version, but read online somewhere that it is supposed to have better buttons and a shorter throw on the stick). Also the buttons are arranged differently. With the oldstyle I have to turn my right ankle inwards, which takes some getting used to but is fine after some time, while with the Hori it's all straight forward and (at least for me) more comfortable. If you're going to mod the buttons, it takes more work with the Hori if you want to keep the turbo function.

ulyses31

Crazed MVS Addict
Is it really needed to customize the Hori buttons? I mean with the old style stick it must be interesting to do so as the buttons are a bit loose but are the Hori buttons also a bit loose?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I use an Old Style Board with Sanwa snap in buttons and the Neo CD joypad for the second player. All good.

That's exactly what I did until I got my AI stick. Now the modded AES stick is the player 2 controller, and the Neo CD stick is just the red-headed stepchild.

MrRoboto19XX

Rugal's Thug
For a CMVS I'll pretty much always go with the classic Neo controllers.

A consolized NGPC would be a different story...

xsq

Is it really needed to customize the Hori buttons? I mean with the old style stick it must be interesting to do so as the buttons are a bit loose but are the Hori buttons also a bit loose?
Again, preference thing. Also most of the Horis you'll find out there will have been played quite a bit, so the buttons might be worn out. They are in no way as bad as the ones on the oldstyle though, so decide for yourself.

ulyses31

Crazed MVS Addict
Again, preference thing. Also most of the Horis you'll find out there will have been played quite a bit, so the buttons might be worn out. They are in no way as bad as the ones on the oldstyle though, so decide for yourself.

Ok, thank you all. As I have to buy a second controller maybe I will try to find a Hori II and see if it needs some work with buttons.

If so I will have to ask wich ones suits the best, maybe Xian-Xi has a guide on how to change them...? :glee:

TNK

A Fake account for Cross AKA Connor Evans, the guy
Gotta go all natural, no snes controllers

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm pretty sure that's what I have in my AES stick, and it's awesome. Also, Focus Attack comes highly recommended, I've ordered a few things from them recently and everything arrived correctly and quickly.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
So would these be the optimal buttons to get as replacements for an aes stick?

http://www.focusattack.com/seimitsu-ps-14-d-24mm-pushbutton-black/

Also any thoughts on focusattack or suggestions on the best retailer for buyers in the US?

24mm snap-ins are what I used. Only difference is that I used Sanwa buttons instead of Seimitsu's. Not sure why, maybe because of the available colors at the time or something. Both are very high quality.

When I was buying that stuff, Xian specifically suggested that I go through FocusAttack, so the place has the endorsement of the master.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
For the AES stick buttons, I use either snaps or screw ins. For the Horis I use the screw ins as they are easier to get in there. When modding the Hori you may need to either shave the nubs on the button outside ring or if you prefer to cut the metal sheet of the Hori, either way.

Here's a modded Hori:

hori.jpg

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Thanks guys! Any general consensus on flat versus concave buttons?

xsq

hm, I don't think there will be a consensus, it's more a preference thing. I don't notice much of a difference between flat and slightly convex buttons, both are fine for me, I like convex a bit better perhaps, but I do feel a little "hindered" by concave ones. Just doesn't feel right... I don't hit the exact center of the buttons most of the time and when they are concave it makes my fingertips slide into their middle... also it's hard to kinda "slide" over the controls... don't know if that is making much sense.

As for Seimitsu vs. Sanwa: Both are great. I do like about the 24mm Seimitsus that they are somewhat more balanced between tension and engage distance, both also being not as light/short as the Sanwas.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Great breakdown on the differences, makes total sense! I ended up going for flat seimitsus as I linked above. Also ended up throwing a couple new ball tops on my order, going to breathe some fresh life into my aes pads!

hm, I don't think there will be a consensus, it's more a preference thing. I don't notice much of a difference between flat and slightly convex buttons, both are fine for me, I like convex a bit better perhaps, but I do feel a little "hindered" by concave ones. Just doesn't feel right... I don't hit the exact center of the buttons most of the time and when they are concave it makes my fingertips slide into their middle... also it's hard to kinda "slide" over the controls... don't know if that is making much sense.

As for Seimitsu vs. Sanwa: Both are great. I do like about the 24mm Seimitsus that they are somewhat more balanced between tension and engage distance, both also being not as light/short as the Sanwas.