For those who have painted a cab...

Unstupid

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Just wondering what is the preferred method of painting. Brush, Roller, Spray? I know the recommended color from Home Depot os Behr-Grenadine, but do I go with glossy, matte, semi gloss?

Lite

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Most any white epoxy spray paint should suffice. This is what I've used in the past: http://www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=24
Usually its sold as appliance paint. It's the only way I know of that you can get a smooth surface close to the original without special brushes. Just remember to keep at least a few feet back and apply in multiple coats if you do it this way.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
i used a roller because i didn't want to use spray paint in the living room. the paint has a very light texture to it, but the original paint had that, too.
at first i used semi-gloss, but then decided to get glossy paint for the last few layers.

if you want a mirror like finish then you'll have to polish the paint in the end.

before:

5206026907_9701d35eb9_z.jpg

after:

6151470170_80932320d0_z.jpg

here's more:
http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13934

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
The important information needed is what kind of cab you are painting. Best method will vary depending on surface.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
I'll be painting 3/4" plywood.

Well, I think that a spray gun is the preferred method. I personally have had good luck with rollers and patience. Brushing is not an option except for touch-ups.

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
LOL @ the candy cab suggestions when it was clear what you meant.

I used the grenadine with a small foam trim roller, and the finish I chose was eggshell, so it would be similar to the texture of the original cab. It also helps hide minor imperfections and brush/roller marks if you have any, and keeps you from going OCD trying to create a perfect glossy flat surface. If you look around you'll see pics of my cab. Can't post them easily from the phone.

Last edited:

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
That looks great! Is that the original CPO? it looks a little redder than the side.

Actually it matches perfectly. The flash makes the side of the cab look brighter than it is. It's a custom designed cpo made by Mrbippers. That's a Dynamo HS-5 corner cut cab, and Neo cpos are square.

Here's the before and after:

beforeafterpanel.jpg

As you can see, in this one the flash makes the cpo look lighter than the paint. LOL

Last edited:

nork69

Marked Wolf
10 Year Member
Someone got the paint code for new astro city cab?

akiba1953

n00b
I found this on another forum on here can't find it now. But for home depot get BEHR grenadine s-g-180 semi gloss enamel. I got mine with primer. And sanded the cab with 180 grit. Didn't strip it all the way down. And use the small Foam rollers. And take your time. I got 1qt and that was just enough for 3 coats. My can cost me just under $18.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I found this on another forum on here can't find it now. But for home depot get BEHR grenadine s-g-180 semi gloss enamel. I got mine with primer. And sanded the cab with 180 grit. Didn't strip it all the way down. And use the small Foam rollers. And take your time. I got 1qt and that was just enough for 3 coats. My can cost me just under $18.

Why did you bump a 2 year old thread to say that?

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member

akiba1953

n00b
Read the time stamp wrong. On my phone so the page is really big or really small. And if you don't want to see it don't read it.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
You idiot, HOW THE HELL COULD YOU DO THIS? Do you even know what this means for all of us? You just have no clue do you? WHATS WRONG WITH YOU!?

I'd be watching my back here akiba, this sort of act will surely get you in the basement but not of your own accord... Oh yes the dark room they call it. Many have surfaced and dissapeared.. into the dark room. Where punishment is only the beginning for such law breakers like you. I'd start packing bags and even making a run for it even if a dodgy cab driver is your only way out. For your sake its probably for the best before you understand what it truly means to be slammed. Oh yes. It has already started.....

YOU HAVE LIMITED OPTIONS...

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/
http://www.ign.com/boards/

dipindods

needs help. stuck in virgina.
soooooooooooooooooooooo
should i not ask whats a good red to match a big red??????

akiba1953

n00b
NO NO NO What have I done!?! Im Sorry. please dont take me to the dark room! Ill pay more attention! :uhoh::oh_no:

I think ill fit in just fine here. So far I have found a few smart asses that i can get along with. I have gotten so helpful tips on forum stuff.
Sorry for bumping this back from the past.

akiba1953

n00b
That looks great! Is that the original CPO? it looks a little redder than the side.

Billkwando this is how my cab looked when i got it. im waiting till i have money for buy the decals and remaster my control pad. You did a very top notch restoration

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
soooooooooooooooooooooo
should i not ask whats a good red to match a big red??????

big-red-gum.gif.jpeg

NO NO NO What have I done!?! Im Sorry. please dont take me to the dark room! Ill pay more attention! :uhoh::oh_no:

I think ill fit in just fine here. So far I have found a few smart asses that i can get along with. I have gotten so helpful tips on forum stuff.
Sorry for bumping this back from the past.

Welcome home. lol

Billkwando this is how my cab looked when i got it. im waiting till i have money for buy the decals and remaster my control pad. You did a very top notch restoration

Thanks man. For once my obsessive streak paid off. :D

Last edited: