Found a Neo Geo front loader that lived a life in storage

NGLad

n00b
Dayum son! That thing is looking fresh! Wanting to pick one of these up, but I know I'll barely play it. I barely touch the CDZ.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I had a front loader on loan shortly before I bought my top loader back in the day. It's a nice piece of kit, I could place it in a relatively narrow space beneath the TV, unlike the top loader which needs more vertical space to change discs. As it has been mentioned, the amount of mechanical parts is much higher in the front loader which adds more points of potential failure, that's why I would only buy one after a thorough inspection of the moving parts (with special focus on the gears, lense sled and drive motor) or from a trustworthy source.

Anyway, the NGCD felt like a gift of God to me, now I could buy all the great games (well, most of them) without breaking the bank. Loading didn't bother me, I already had 12 years of micro computer experience under my belt at that time so it wasn't an issue at all, certainly not with the earlier releases. Later games had quite some loading, with LB2 topping it all off but it still was only a fart in the wind compared to some C64 multiload tape games that took almost 15 minutes to load.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'd also make sure the video circuits get serviced. Both frontloaders I've had had subpar RGB output (extra analog noise).

It's kind of getting annoying that the only thing NGCD seems famous for in the wider gaming community is the load times, even though the PS4/Xbone generation had way worse load times than the majority of NGCD games.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I'd also make sure the video circuits get serviced. Both frontloaders I've had had subpar RGB output (extra analog noise).

It's kind of getting annoying that the only thing NGCD seems famous for in the wider gaming community is the load times, even though the PS4/Xbone generation had way worse load times than the majority of NGCD games.
name three ps4 fighting games that have potentially 5 long load times during a match

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Are you on crack?

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
name three ps4 fighting games that have potentially 5 long load times during a match
I think he's referring to the modern gaming load time doldrums in general. Regardless of whether you have a disc or not, you have to wait for it to download. And if you haven't played the game in a few days, once you go to play it again, there's almost always another update that has to download. There have been a number of times over the years where I was ready to play a game only to find out that there was a double digit GB update that needed to download. So that was that, and I had to do something else.

That said, theres no doubt that some of the late era fighters on CD are unplayable because of the constant loading in between fights. But for the most part, NGCD load times are vastly exaggerated. No worse than their contemporary disc consoles were.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Are you on crack?
Crack? Isn't this common knowledge by now? Did you quit by the PS4 gen?

Well, there are plenty of non-fighters on the NGCD, they just don't get as much attention.

I challenge you to find an NGCD load screen that is longer than the initial load in Red Dead Redemption 2 on an eighth gen console. Fast travel in any open world game from that gen and you're waiting at least 30 seconds. Thankfully current gen consoles addressed this.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
you're comparing 2D games on a single speed drive from 30 years ago to several gigabyte big fully 3D games

never waited anything close to 30 seconds while fast traveling on any game

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
you're comparing 2D games on a single speed drive from 30 years ago to several gigabyte big fully 3D games
Yes, I am comparing them. They both are technology of their times.

It's amazing that gamers don't know anything about Neo Geo other than "omg expensive" but they 'know' that the NGCD had long load times. It's an example of people regurgitating commonly held opinions instead of forming their own. Which is a problem on social media.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
.... It's an example of people regurgitating commonly held opinions instead of forming their own. Which is a problem on social media.

Its a problem in most communities to be honest, it drives me crazy but I'm sure I'm guilty of it to some extent too.

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
That said, theres no doubt that some of the late era fighters on CD are unplayable because of the constant loading in between fights. But for the most part, NGCD load times are vastly exaggerated. No worse than their contemporary disc consoles were.
Well yeah most non-fighter games on the system are damn good and the loading time doesn't affect them at all. I haven't seen anyone arguing otherwise about it... but fighters are historically what people bought these systems for and boy do they disappoint.

I subsisted for a long time with a NGCD compared to other people here so I know the system.