Free S-Video Mod: Genesis 2/3/CDX

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
So here's the deal folks. I recently took delivery of a pallets worth of custom cables for the Omega. I have more than enough to cover inventory for the immediate future so I am looking to market these towards the Sega modding community.

What's interesting about these cables is that I modeled the pinout after the Genesis 2 so the composite and stereo audio signals are 1:1. I added s-video to the pinout by removing two lesser used pins (cysnc, and mono audio). You can easily make use of the s-video plug in a genny 2 by severing those two lines and connecting the appropriate signals. This way you can get s-video without needing to drill into these systems especially the CDX.

What I'm offering is a free s-video mod to one of each of the above systems so I can take pictures and write up a tutorial for people that want to do this on their own. All I ask is that you pay for shipping both ways. The mod itself and the cable will be free.

The rules:
1. Established members only.
2. One mod per person
3. You will actually use the modded system instead of just letting it sit around or flipping it.
4. I am only doing three free mods, one for each system in the title. Once a particular model is spoken for, it's a done deal.
5. Don't PM me right away. Just post your interest in this thread and I'll get back to you. I just don't want my inbox flooded in case more than a few people are interested.

This is what the cable connected to the CDX looks like. I would mod this system but the video output in general is wonky so comparison pics would be pretty hazy.

cdx_omega_zps3a879e1c.png

Last note, if you want to supply your Genesis 2 for modding, make sure it has a Sony or Fujitsu encoder. The more commonly used samsung encoder doesn't do s-video in any capacity.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
How do I check for the sony or Fujitsu encoder? I am very willing to send my baby if she qualifies.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
a MOD-1 Genny such as my own would not work for this?

No, it uses a completely differently style plug. DIN8 to be exactly. The later model systems use Mini-DIN9.

How do I check for the sony or Fujitsu encoder? I am very willing to send my baby if she qualifies.

You have to open it and check. I believe the Samsung part number is KA2195. The Sony ones are CXA1145 and CXA1645. Fujitsu is MB3514

edit: This brings up a good point. I'll add in extra free mods for variants in video encoders in a particular model. Going from this guide, it appears that the model 2 has at least 3 different video encoders that support s-video.

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

Last edited:

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
I have a CDX and down for your mod. I am hooking it up to a dream cast kiosk so I am no flipper!

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have an M2. I'll open it up and check on it. I'll edit my post here with what encoder I have.

[EDIT] Well, looks like I have the Samsung one (KA2195D). Bummer.

Last edited:

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm interested in this also. I have a Genesis 2 model but there's a problem with the power slot. It's like loose or something so I have to slightly wiggle it a little bit to make it come on.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
BK: If Quan doesn't hook you up you know where to find me.

I just svideo modded my Genesis, wish I would have thought about doing it like this instead of putting a svideo jack in it.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I have an M2. I'll open it up and check on it. I'll edit my post here with what encoder I have.

[EDIT] Well, looks like I have the Samsung one (KA2195D). Bummer.

The Samsung one seems to be the more common one. I'll look into seeing how difficult it is to drop in another encoder in there.

I'm interested in this also. I have a Genesis 2 model but there's a problem with the power slot. It's like loose or something so I have to slightly wiggle it a little bit to make it come on.

Sounds like a cracked solder joint at the power jack. Should be an easy fix if the jack itself isn't worn out. Might as well crack it open to check the video encoder and the solder joints.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The Samsung one seems to be the more common one. I'll look into seeing how difficult it is to drop in another encoder in there.

Sounds like a cracked solder joint at the power jack. Should be an easy fix if the jack itself isn't worn out. Might as well crack it open to check the video encoder and the solder joints.

Yeah I'm gonna open it now. Where am I looking for what info you need? I'm an idiot on the boards on this hardware..

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Yeah I'm gonna open it now. Where am I looking for what info you need? I'm an idiot on the boards on this hardware..

You're looking for a small chip with 24 pins on it. It's probably near the a/v jack. You can always post a close up of the whole board and I can point it out for you.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Found it. It's a S KA2195D.

Looks like you're out of luck. For now at least. I looked up the differences between a KA2195 and CXA1645 and there are very close to be pin compatible. Just a few minor differences in support hardware. I'd have to order some encoders and get a couple test subjects to find out for sure though.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Looks like you're out of luck. For now at least. I looked up the differences between a KA2195 and CXA1645 and there are very close to be pin compatible. Just a few minor differences in support hardware. I'd have to order some encoders and get a couple test subjects to find out for sure though.

Hey no problem. I'll keep an eye out. Is there a way to find out which models use the different chips by serial #s? I know of a few places in town that sell a lot of old hardware and I'd hate to ask them if I could crack open their systems to find the right chipset. lol

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
141   0   0
I'll check my Genny 2 tonight and let you know what it looks like. If it's what youre looking for, I can send it.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I looked up the differences between a KA2195 and CXA1645 and there are very close to be pin compatible. Just a few minor differences in support hardware. I'd have to order some encoders and get a couple test subjects to find out for sure though.

I'm willing to put mine up if you need.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
196   0   0

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Can you snap a picture of the area around the video encoder? I'd like to know if the support hardware is surface mount or not.

I'm in the middle of my SCD project. I'll put up a pic later tonight...or would you rather me PM you a link to the pic?

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I have a Model 2 or three kicking around, do you still need any of the revisions or are you good? Sweet offer by the way, thanks.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
A little of topic here but how much would you charge to mod my SNES jr to output S-Video ?