Fuck cancer

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Fuck cancer, especially in young people. Nobody aged 13 should meet their maker due to that fucking disease. Condolences man...

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Long time no see, NG; you may remember me as Fenikso's younger sister. (I'd say little sister, but I'm 31 now. I think I joined here when I was 17?) A few items to start with:

- Seriously, fuck cancer.

- Man, I am so sorry for all you folks for the people you've lost to cancer. It really has impacted everyone's life in one way or another.

- Thanks for all the kind words about our nephew. Reading this thread has been cathartic.

That kid loved games. Just absolutely loved them. I was sitting next to him on the penultimate day of his life, and he asked for his XBone controller early in the day, but then he didn't really have the energy/cognitive ability to play. I asked him if I could play something, and I booted up Mark of the Wolves (which we had played together on several occasions), and that seemed to ring a bell for him. He took off his oxygen mask and looked at me and asked me something that wasn't fully intelligible--something related to hanging out and his uncle (my husband, also a gamer). And I told him, "Yes, we're here and we're hanging out with you and we're so happy to see you."

He liked making games, too. His school got him started on Scratch, and he made all sorts of stuff, including a platformer, an arcade shooter, a Tamagotchi clone, and, most recently, a game about catching falling tacos. One time, when I was at the hospital with him, he showed me his attempt at making a Flappy Bird clone. It ran pretty well and was fun to play, and as I was playing, he told me: "The trick is to make the pipes move, not the bird." In his release notes for that game, he said that he wanted to make something minimal, but then before he knew it, he had made moving background elements, a slider for customizing the bird's color, and cloud data high score storage. Fenikso, you got him that laptop that he was working on, and I want you to know how much it enabled him to engage with the things he loved.

Our nephew also loved Super Mario Maker 2, and if you want to try his levels (which I know would have made him happy), I've included the codes below:

bomb surfing challenge
BP2-MF9-KSG

claw mountain
H35-8R4-M8G

Icicle Mountain
MCV-5PJ-SLF

The moving thowmp walljump
LHB-BJ8-MSF

the floor is lava
H07-63S-MSG

ancient jungle
8TR-H7H-8LG

I hope you're all taking care of yourselves and remembering the good times with your loved ones. I cannot tell you all how much, from the bottom of my heart, I miss that kid. I dreamed about him last night and I woke up and he wasn't there and I feel gutted.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Long time no see, NG; you may remember me as Fenikso's younger sister. (I'd say little sister, but I'm 31 now. I think I joined here when I was 17?) A few items to start with:

- Seriously, fuck cancer.

- Man, I am so sorry for all you folks for the people you've lost to cancer. It really has impacted everyone's life in one way or another.

- Thanks for all the kind words about our nephew. Reading this thread has been cathartic.

That kid loved games. Just absolutely loved them. I was sitting next to him on the penultimate day of his life, and he asked for his XBone controller early in the day, but then he didn't really have the energy/cognitive ability to play. I asked him if I could play something, and I booted up Mark of the Wolves (which we had played together on several occasions), and that seemed to ring a bell for him. He took off his oxygen mask and looked at me and asked me something that wasn't fully intelligible--something related to hanging out and his uncle (my husband, also a gamer). And I told him, "Yes, we're here and we're hanging out with you and we're so happy to see you."

He liked making games, too. His school got him started on Scratch, and he made all sorts of stuff, including a platformer, an arcade shooter, a Tamagotchi clone, and, most recently, a game about catching falling tacos. One time, when I was at the hospital with him, he showed me his attempt at making a Flappy Bird clone. It ran pretty well and was fun to play, and as I was playing, he told me: "The trick is to make the pipes move, not the bird." In his release notes for that game, he said that he wanted to make something minimal, but then before he knew it, he had made moving background elements, a slider for customizing the bird's color, and cloud data high score storage. Fenikso, you got him that laptop that he was working on, and I want you to know how much it enabled him to engage with the things he loved.

Our nephew also loved Super Mario Maker 2, and if you want to try his levels (which I know would have made him happy), I've included the codes below:

bomb surfing challenge
BP2-MF9-KSG

claw mountain
H35-8R4-M8G

Icicle Mountain
MCV-5PJ-SLF

The moving thowmp walljump
LHB-BJ8-MSF

the floor is lava
H07-63S-MSG

ancient jungle
8TR-H7H-8LG

I hope you're all taking care of yourselves and remembering the good times with your loved ones. I cannot tell you all how much, from the bottom of my heart, I miss that kid. I dreamed about him last night and I woke up and he wasn't there and I feel gutted.

Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm so sorry you all had to go through this. I can't imagine how horrible it must've been to watch him deteriorate like that. When my younger cousin died it was completely sudden (drowning). Over ten years later and it still hits me like a sledgehammer to the chest sometimes that the little guy is gone.

But it does make you appreciate the time you have with the people that are still here. Last week I was playing Mario Kart with my three year old nephew and he stopped, looked right at me and said, "I love you uncle Jason," and continued playing as if it were nothing. And I almost cried. He's at the point where his talking is bouncing back and forth between coherent sentences and baby talk, but he said that sentence with perfect clarity and sincerity. Then later he smacked me in the face with a hockey stick and laughed his ass off.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Cancer eats all the dicks.

Lost a bunch of family members over the years (ranging from mid-30s to 70s) and it's never easy. Have a cousin in her 40s with two kids who's going through it for the second time at the moment. Prognosis isn't looking good.

People rarely deserve it (hi Rush!) but kids especially don't. My condolences, fenikso.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Thanks for sharing your stories. I'm so sorry you all had to go through this. I can't imagine how horrible it must've been to watch him deteriorate like that. When my younger cousin died it was completely sudden (drowning). Over ten years later and it still hits me like a sledgehammer to the chest sometimes that the little guy is gone.

But it does make you appreciate the time you have with the people that are still here. Last week I was playing Mario Kart with my three year old nephew and he stopped, looked right at me and said, "I love you uncle Jason," and continued playing as if it were nothing. And I almost cried. He's at the point where his talking is bouncing back and forth between coherent sentences and baby talk, but he said that sentence with perfect clarity and sincerity. Then later he smacked me in the face with a hockey stick and laughed his ass off.

Thanks for sharing those stories too, and I'm sorry for your loss as well. Your nephew sounds like a sweetheart.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
I'm so sorry to hear this man. That's far too young.

So, full disclosure, I work in Clinical Research regarding cancer, so I see cases like this a lot. We do our best when it comes to studies, but there's so much that goes into getting kids into studies (some studies we have tight criteria, etc.). The worst part of my day is when we get the emails from our Onc clinic notifying us who passed away. It gets me everytime. Cancer go straight to hell.