Google Chrome OS - Anybody interested?

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Google just finished their presentation on their forthcoming flavor or linux and it was pretty damned interesting. For those that didn't follow it, here are a few take aways:

- All applications and data will be stored in "the cloud", i.e. at Google.
- The file system is encrypted, auto-updating, and read only, all major facets of the OS will be online through the chrome browser.
- Can't install binaries on the system.
- It will support HTML 5 and thus hardware acceleration, so 3D graphics and games will still be possible despite being an entirely online OS.
- Existing peripherals (usb drives, phones, etc.) can still be used.
- The OS is smart enough to know where to open a file, i.e. an xls will open up in Excel on Microsoft Office Online, PDF's open in Google Docs, etc.
- It will not support hard drives of any kind, all will be SSD's.
- Designed to run on Netbooks and push a new type of computing.
- You can already compile this yourself if you want, but you'll need to mod a netbook to get it to run perfectly as they're restricting hardware to a specific set of components to make sure everything runs perfectly ala Mac's and OSX hardware optimization.
- It's strictly going to be a companion device, not a primary computer.

Seems kind of interesting, I'm personally curious if this will eventually be able to tap into cloud compute services well, so that you could actually do serious, hd video editing on a netbook and only pay for the instances or compute cycles you use.

The next question is whether plugins are going to work properly ala Silverlight. Flash works though.

I'm intrigued, how about you guys?

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
Sounds like a load of big brother bullshit.

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
No.

Needing an always on internet connection is a big downside. Sounds completely useless for anything other than mobile embedded applications which I thought android was supposed to be.

Netbooks are fully capable of running real Linux distributions, Windows of all varieties and in certain cases OSX.

No need to slim down.

Fuck the cloud.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
It sounds like an interesting project which will benefit the rest of the Linux ecosystem. Even if you don't buy into the cloud mumbo-jumbo, they will likely produce a lot of really optimized code which will be great for getting things running even faster than they already are. Plus, it will force them to make Chrome work right on the *ix systems.

(I'm actually using an Ubuntu build of Chromium right now. Firefox just started pissing me off way too much, freezing randomly every god damn minute.)

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Oh well, I'll post it anyway.

Interesting, but definitely a "wait and see" kind of interesting.

My current "everywhere" OS is a live usb with

Nearly Office pup (name = puppy pass = linux)

+

Go-Openoffice 3.1.1 module.

Which works really well for me. It can write to the partition that it mounts from without a persistence file (something I have trouble with with other live usbs) so that the documents I work on in it are visible to a compter that I use the stick with as a normal thumb drive.

Holy shit why did I just write that douchebaggy post.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Which works really well for me. It can write to the partition that it mounts from without a persistence file (something I have trouble with with other live usbs) so that the documents I work on in it are visible to a compter that I use the stick with as a normal thumb drive.

Is the / FS writable? Or can it just write back to the FAT drive that it got the / image from?

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I have probably misunderstood your question.

Is the / FS writable? Or can it just write back to the FAT drive that it got the / image from?

Puppy uses a persistence file naturally in most frugal installations. I just have a folder on the FAT drive that I link to on the desktop and in the file manager.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
@TougaKiryuu - That was an entirely different issue. Danger was using old Sun servers and didn't have properly engineered backups. Their backups died along with the primary storage.

MSFT actually has a pretty cool new cloud OS called Azure which is intriguing to say the least, but you're right in that critical data can't rely on constantly fluctuating cloud instances, at least not yet.

@Nes - I think it's less about slimming down and more about changing the way we're used to using computers. I kind of agree with them on that. The OS boots in 7 seconds for gods sake and put's you right into a browser which is what I'm using 99% of the time.

And it utilizes an optimized version of Google Gears along with HTML 5, so you don't need to be online all the time to use most applications. Documents, spreadsheets, etc, that'll all me built right in. It's not changing how you use a computer, it's changing how the computer actually does this stuff on the back end.

@Bigtinz - I think you have the only real legitimate concern here honestly, with this, you'd literally be handing over everything to Google.

I'm a bit of a cynic, I don't really believe in privacy online, and I already use every Google service except for picasa...so hell, why not?

My take is that at least someone is thinking outside the box when it comes to OS's. I don't think I'll be leaving OSX/SUSE anytime soon but I'll definitely be grabbing one of these.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
This will *never* work.

Period.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I have no desire to store my shit on someone else's computer.

SetaSouji??

There Can be Only One
whatever you do, it's gotta be more fun than coding and hardware troubleshooting. :(

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I have no desire to store my shit on someone else's computer.

Chris-hansen.gif

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
cloud computing is definitely interesting, and even useful in certain situations/conditions.
unfortunately, the real reason its being pushed is for CONTROL ...
... that ol' paradigm ain't gonna fly in the upcoming years.

J. Max

judas,
I don't know what's so exciting about this...it looks like just another embedded operating system.