Got a DS today!

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
Nice little system. I love the dual screen set up. And the screens are bright and the clarity is really good. The graphics are pretty hot too. The only thing I don't like is the small size of the buttons. With Mario Kart that A button is a pain to hold down for all that long -- it really cramps my thumb.

The touchpad is nice. It's probably more of a gimmick than anything, but it's kind of cool. The dual screen is awesome though.

I got Mario Kart, which is great. The larger screen and better graphics make the game much more playable than the GBA counterpart which gave me a headache.

I got Animal Crossing as well, but haven't had a chance to delve into that. I used to have the GCN one, so I know what this one is all about.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
I got mine a few weeks ago. I really liked it a lot and I was actually quite surprised at the quality of the graphics.

Soniku

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
If you think the touch screen is a gimmick, then you just haven't played anything that really uses it...

Animal Crossing makes pretty good use of it alone since the menus aren't nearly as tedious as they were in the GameCube one... It speeds up productivity by like 400% if you're constantly moving shit around...

Get Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, Trauma Center Under the Knife or Nintendogs (it's a manly game) if you want a good example of the touch screen's practicality... And even though it's necessarily not needed, Phoenix Wright makes pretty good use of the touch screen so examing stuff is easier (yes, I know it was originally on GBA).

The Mario 64 mini games are another great example of the touch screen's usefulness, they're worth buying the game now, especially since it's probably about $15... If you're capable of using the touch-screen to control your character in Mario 64 of Metroid Prime, then that's another advantage (I can't do it myself).

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
Soniku17 said:
If you think the touch screen is a gimmick, then you just haven't played anything that really uses it...

Animal Crossing makes pretty good use of it alone since the menus aren't nearly as tedious as they were in the GameCube one... It speeds up productivity by like 400% if you're constantly moving shit around...

Get Kirby Canvas Curse, Meteos, Trauma Center Under the Knife or Nintendogs (it's a manly game) if you want a good example of the touch screen's practicality... And even though it's necessarily not needed, Phoenix Wright makes pretty good use of the touch screen so examing stuff is easier (yes, I know it was originally on GBA).

The Mario 64 mini games are another great example of the touch screen's usefulness, they're worth buying the game now, especially since it's probably about $15... If you're capable of using the touch-screen to control your character in Mario 64 of Metroid Prime, then that's another advantage (I can't do it myself).

My definition of a gimmick is something that's not absolutely necessary for enjoyment of a game, but maybe enhances gameplay -- like drum controllers or a dance pad. I'm not going to declare regular controllers dead and say we should all switch to touchpads. I don't mind having it there and it is kind of neat, but would I love my DS less if it weren't there? No way. I wouldn't really even notice. It's just one more neat feature, but not really necessary.

I do LOVE the two great screens though. Those are truly awesome. And the graphics are quite nice for a handheld.

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
sweet, now get Castlevania DS. You'll be happy you did.

My roommate just got Sonic Rush, and he claims it's the best Sonic game ever, so if U like Sonic, try that as well.

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Meteos and Metroid Prime: Hunters have both proven that the touchscreen is more than just a gimmick. It's hard to go back to puzzle games without touch control after logging 50 hours into Meteos. And Prime: Hunters mimics the PC FPS experience very nicely with its "mouselook" mapped to the touchscreen.

You must try these games!(Hunters is still a demo right now).

krakov

Armored Scrum Object
The touchscreen may be one of the most attractive features of the DS. When you've played a couple of games built around the touchscreen you will have a hard time imagine them with buttons and d-pad.

I was very surprised by the accuracy and overall smoothness of the touchpad. It really makes it all feel much more accesible since you can actually push the buttons and menus displayed on the screen.

Wario ware is a great title if you want to test out the features that the screen brings.

Bakaneiro

Marked Wolf
I also got a DS(blue) 4days ago, and I think it's awesome!

The dual screen and the touch screen are genius.. I only have 2games: Nanostray (very impressive) and advanced wars ( counter- 18hours :eek: I can only play this game with the stylus)

I really hope nintendo continues to suport this great system over the years cause is so much more impressive than the PSP

Cheers

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
Best system of all time

600 000 sold last week in japan! its kicking ass over there.