Halo 2 posts $125 million in first day sales.

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
buster_broon said:
slightly true J - but its sold on the merit of the original Halo, its not good or great its at best mediocre in single player

not even close to the ultimate FPS, If they managed to get multiplayer spot on, why couldnt they achieve a much better single player experience

because - they have thought of nothing new, its all been seen before

loads of promises were made and imo not that much has been delivered

Whatever was lost in the singleplayer was made up for about 10 times over in the multiplayer.

The game is way more balanced now. Vehicles aren't as overbearing, the pistol doesn't break the game. Everything is there, and on top of that they can fix whatever exploits come out as time goes on with Live.

The fact that the game is on Live at all makes it that much better and well worth the $50. People knew how good the original Halo was, especially in multiplayer. I mean you've got to be kidding me if you didn't think that was the main draw of the first game. There's a reason it sold so well for 2 freakin years straight.

Also from what I'm experiencing (in the limited campaign playing I've done) and from what I've heard, it's the story that people are dissapointed with, the GAMEPLAY is actually pretty freakin good.

And as for hype, the only thing they've ever really shown for a LONG time about Halo 2 hype wise has been the multiplayer. They've kept dead quiet about the single player, not really hyping it much or giving out details. As for people being dissapointed with the leaked version, they couldn't do what makes this game so great: get on Live.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
JHendrix said:
Whatever was lost in the singleplayer was made up for about 10 times over in the multiplayer.

The game is way more balanced now. Vehicles aren't as overbearing, the pistol doesn't break the game. Everything is there, and on top of that they can fix whatever exploits come out as time goes on with Live.

The fact that the game is on Live at all makes it that much better and well worth the $50. People knew how good the original Halo was, especially in multiplayer. I mean you've got to be kidding me if you didn't think that was the main draw of the first game. There's a reason it sold so well for 2 freakin years straight.

Also from what I'm experiencing (in the limited campaign playing I've done) and from what I've heard, it's the story that people are dissapointed with, the GAMEPLAY is actually pretty freakin good.

And as for hype, the only thing they've ever really shown for a LONG time about Halo 2 hype wise has been the multiplayer. They've kept dead quiet about the single player, not really hyping it much or giving out details. As for people being dissapointed with the leaked version, they couldn't do what makes this game so great: get on Live.
As far as I've seen, the pistol is completely worthless now. Maybe dual-wielding makes it better, but so far its just totally useless without the zoom function.

JHendrix

Buro Destruct said:
As far as I've seen, the pistol is completely worthless now. Maybe dual-wielding makes it better, but so far its just totally useless without the zoom function.

In most games the pistol is normally pretty worthless as it is. I'd almost wonder why they bothered to include the thing.

On the other side of that, they made the plasma pistol absolutely fantastic. Not on its own, no. But if I've got an SMG I'm SCOURING the place looking for a plasma pistol to dual-weild with. I love how they did that combo.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
JHendrix said:
In most games the pistol is normally pretty worthless as it is. I'd almost wonder why they bothered to include the thing.

On the other side of that, they made the plasma pistol absolutely fantastic. Not on its own, no. But if I've got an SMG I'm SCOURING the place looking for a plasma pistol to dual-weild with. I love how they did that combo.
I wonder how fast Bungie will be with updates/tweaks to the online play. There's already a number of minor things I'd like to see changed.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Is the pistol much worse than before? Of course it is, and rightly so. That thing in Halo 1 was a joke at how overpowered it was. With all this pistol dumping said, one of my favorite combos is SMG/pistol. I've had a lot of success with that combo. Also, in the wide open areas, I'd rather have a pistol than an SMG just because the SMG is all but useless from over 20 feet away. But, that's what the battle rifle is for. Now *that* gun owns mid to long range fights, and yet it's weak up close. The weapons all have their place, now. While the sword is being bitched being too powerful, all I can say is stay away from the guy. Use your mid range weapons, and you won't have problems.

The message is: overall, I feel the game is way more balanced now. I love it.

Spike

JHendrix

Buro Destruct said:
I wonder how fast Bungie will be with updates/tweaks to the online play. There's already a number of minor things I'd like to see changed.

Well they did say that they were going to be releasing some [omghype]BIG THINGS YOU'VE NEVER SEEN BEFORE!!![/omghype] on Live, but yeah I'm skeptical.

As far as balance goes and everything, I've not found a single thing that really needs tweaking yet. I could maybe think increasing pistol damage, or give it something cool for dual-weilding. At least make it worth picking up I guess. Right now it's like the needler was in Halo 1.

What sort of things are you noticing anyway?

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
All*I* really want, for updates, is just to have a decal edit and some new maps. MAYBE new skins. Other than that, it's all good.

JHendrix

Spike Spiegel said:
Is the pistol much worse than before? Of course it is, and rightly so. That thing in Halo 1 was a joke at how overpowered it was. With all this pistol dumping said, one of my favorite combos is SMG/pistol. I've had a lot of success with that combo. Also, in the wide open areas, I'd rather have a pistol than an SMG just because the SMG is all but useless from over 20 feet away. But, that's what the battle rifle is for. Now *that* gun owns mid to long range fights, and yet it's weak up close. The weapons all have their place, now. While the sword is being bitched being too powerful, all I can say is stay away from the guy. Use your mid range weapons, and you won't have problems.

The message is: overall, I feel the game is way more balanced now. I love it.

Spike

See at first I was kinda cheesed at how the battle rifle was burst fire only, but now that I really think about it, it makes perfect sense.

Up close, it'll loose to an SMG, but at mid to long range it's golden. It's a MUST to grab every time you spawn in Coagulation now.

The sword is supposed to be that way, and it's not impossible to stop people who have it really. You just can't approach it the same way as the other "normal' gunfights.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
I had a chance to try this game out yesterday. It's very nice. I didn't play Halo part 1 that much.

I think the reason why this game is so popular is the same reason why James Bond Goldeneye was so popular: it is easy to pick up and play. You don't need to get a bunch of computer networked together. The controls are easy to learn too.

I like how you can have two people on the same xbox when you go on Live. I think you can even have more than that. That makes it easy for you and a friend to go online and team up against people.

buster_broon

The Rock,
JHendrix said:
Whatever was lost in the singleplayer was made up for about 10 times over in the multiplayer. get on Live.

but i like many others bought the game for the singleplayer experience

dont get me wrong its a good game but its not the best game in the world and if they tried to concentrate more on the online side of the game, $50 is alot to ask for an online game plus any other live fees ontop of that over the foreseeable future. but i will give it a whirl on live and i'm sure it will be excellent, but no matter how you try to dress it up single player isnt all that

personally the online gaming has never grabbed me and i still dont use my computer for games, just use my computer for work and for the internet

i have alot of respect for you J and you're much like me, you favor X over Y and i personally think if Microsoft released a shite with an XBOX logo on it - you would buy it :tickled:

totally feel let down - all these promises and delays to get it tweaked since development began and i havent seen anything to make it stand head and shoulders over the original, i was hoping it would be better than Halo, but its not

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
gatsu25 said:
yes congrats to the thousands upon thousands of consumer whores who bought the game. It really is not that much of an improvement over the last game. And you know what else? The first one wasnt really that revolutionary either. Just another good FPS. Proof that if Microsoft or any other company has enough money to hype it, it will sell. The video game industry has gotten really sad within the last 5 or 7 years, and microsoft is just speeding it up. The music industry has gone the same way. Ill just listen to talented music like Olivia Tremor Control and The Books. Ill just keep playing games like Last Blade 2, katamari Damasi (no, not Damacy), and Growlancer. And ill have alot more fun doing it knowing that im not part of the bullshit. I look at most things as artwork, definately games fall into that category. When something is done with feeling, it can be seen in the final product. Halo 2 wasnt put out because Microsoft thought it would better the gaming community, Microsoft knew they would make a shitload of money. Congrats, they did... :annoyed:

This post is stupid.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Syxx573 said:
I like how you can have two people on the same xbox when you go on Live. I think you can even have more than that. That makes it easy for you and a friend to go online and team up against people.
Yeah I saw a couple people with the same tag and a 1 or 2. I hate split screen though what I love about this one over Halo1 is that on live you can have multiplayer and you have the whole screen to yourself. The split screen would kill me in halo1 I just hated that its just too much going on at one time for my feeble mind to grasp.

buster_broon

The Rock,
but i did like:

2nd level on earth

the closeness of the battles - gives a small feeling of claustrophobia, even later when you are in the dark and have to rely on your torch heavily

i like the arbiter and the plasma sword - hate using all the human weapons apart from the sniper and the shotgun, the best weapon for distance kills is the beam rifle

i dont want people to think i am being super negative about this game because as a game its good, just not as good as the original

which is a shame

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
FatGuy said:
Yeah I saw a couple people with the same tag and a 1 or 2. I hate split screen though what I love about this one over Halo1 is that on live you can have multiplayer and you have the whole screen to yourself. The split screen would kill me in halo1 I just hated that its just too much going on at one time for my feeble mind to grasp.

i sucked ass in halo 1 in the split, especially 4 people on one TV, u cant see shit, and shooting with the scope was so fucking hard.

does anyone know if you can LAN 16 xboxs on 16 tvs in halo 2? halo 1 only let you do 8 xboxs max i think, 2 on each tv.

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
i did 4 player split screen ctf last night and it was fun. but jesus playing fps with a controller is a joke. the only game that has handled it well is prime so if you are serious about halo nothing less than a mouse/keyboard will do.

when does the pc ver come out i wonder?

JHendrix

buster_broon said:
but i like many others bought the game for the singleplayer experience

dont get me wrong its a good game but its not the best game in the world and if they tried to concentrate more on the online side of the game, $50 is alot to ask for an online game plus any other live fees ontop of that over the foreseeable future. but i will give it a whirl on live and i'm sure it will be excellent, but no matter how you try to dress it up single player isnt all that

personally the online gaming has never grabbed me and i still dont use my computer for games, just use my computer for work and for the internet

i have alot of respect for you J and you're much like me, you favor X over Y and i personally think if Microsoft released a shite with an XBOX logo on it - you would buy it :tickled:

totally feel let down - all these promises and delays to get it tweaked since development began and i havent seen anything to make it stand head and shoulders over the original, i was hoping it would be better than Halo, but its not

I understand there are some crazy people like you out there who are into it for just the single player experience ( ;) ), but supposedly the gameplay is great, it's the story that suffers. The first 3 levels that I played were great, IMO.

As for being worth $50 for an online game? Come on. FarCry on PC is an incredible single player game. The story is meh alright, but the gameplay and everything else is PHENOMINAL. The multiplayer is pretty crappy though. I played through FarCry, I beat it, I don't like the multiplayer. It was worth $40, even if it only took me 20 hours or so to beat.

Halo 2, will give me infinitely more than 20 hours of gameplay online, and all of it will be phenominal. It's more than worth the $55 I spent on the collectors edition, reguardless of the singleplayer experience. And so far I LIKE the gameplay.

As for XBox and MS. Dude, go back a few years ago on the archive board. I hated the XBox when it came out (didn't like Halo back then, at all). I got mine as an XMas gift I didn't want - I did want a GC that I got.

I love my XBox because of online fighters, steel battalion, and Halo 2. It's given me more gaming goodness than almost the PS2 at this point. The GC has dissapointed me a lot and I only buy a few titles for it here and there - and none of them are as enthralling as Halo 2, or even the online fighters on XBox. So please, as a friend, don't try and paint me as some MS fanboy. I like my XBox because it delivered what I wanted game wise - that's it.

Last edited:

JHendrix

DashK said:
i sucked ass in halo 1 in the split, especially 4 people on one TV, u cant see shit, and shooting with the scope was so fucking hard.

does anyone know if you can LAN 16 xboxs on 16 tvs in halo 2? halo 1 only let you do 8 xboxs max i think, 2 on each tv.

Yes you can do 16 players on 16 different TV's.

We did 4 on 4 at lunch today with projectors in a conference room, no problems seeing what was going on in there though. ;)

Feelgood: Don't expect a PC port at all. If it does come out, it'll be in like 2 years.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
My only problem with the game is that I'm absolute trash at fps with a controller. Besides that, it's fun as shit, even though I get killed more than I kill. Hopefully I can get used to the shizzle.

Yesterday I grenaded Hendrix from long range, when I saw his carcass go flying through the air, it was a combination of :kekeke: and :buttrock:

JHendrix

buttasuperb said:
My only problem with the game is that I'm absolute trash at fps with a controller. Besides that, it's fun as shit, even though I get killed more than I kill. Hopefully I can get used to the shizzle.

Yesterday I grenaded Hendrix from long range, when I saw his carcass go flying through the air, it was a combination of :kekeke: and :buttrock:

What sensitivity do you have it set at? I keep it at 5 and it seems to work really well. Just give it some time and you'll get used to it. Amazingly that's all it really takes so long as you're playing against decent people.

Next time we play I'm going to carve your ass off with the Plasma Sword (much like before). Then I'm going to make it into a cheeseburger and eat it (just to make Kid Aphex happy). I want FatGuy there too, I know he likes cheeseburgers. Stinky would want to be there, but only to get a piece of your ass.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
The pistol so far seems to have almost the same stopping power...it's just only useful at close range with no scope. Works well in tandem with a booger gun (just like the SMG).

The only gun I can't get much joy out of yet is the Brute Shot...although it does make one hell of a melee weapon. Fun shit.

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
Loopz said:
The pistol so far seems to have almost the same stopping power...it's just only useful at close range with no scope. Works well in tandem with a booger gun (just like the SMG).

The only gun I can't get much joy out of yet is the Brute Shot...although it does make one hell of a melee weapon. Fun shit.

the pistol is ass tho, takes 7 headshots to kill. in halo 1 it was like 3

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
IMO they could have kept the pistol nearly the same as Halo 1, and it would've been balanced, even if it's dual-wielded.
Think about it... you've got two pistols, but someone's charging you with a plasma rifle and SMG. I don't think it would break the balance.

The Brute Shot is a travesty... hopefully they beef it up a bit with a patch.

Michael Yagami

I was wondering if I might get a rank with a Castl
Give me the ability to dual wield the energy sword and I'll be happy.

gatsu25

Galford's Armourer
Why is a stupid post? It is my opinion. Isnt that what posts are usually for? I dont care to argue about it, I often read what i think are stupid posts, but i dont go around quoting them and telling people they are stupid for them. One persons opinion is different than anothers. Im glad you like Halo 2, more power to you. Not for me, I just felt like stating that.

Plisken said:
This post is stupid.