Happ PSUs for a supergun?

dark penguin

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Well, I think I need a beefier PSU for my supergun.

I have an Ault SC200 right now, but it does not supply -5v. MY SG has an 8 pin DIN connector.

Size is not issue -- I don't care how big it is, and it will be in a very well ventilated area.

Will this do the trick? I basically just want something to give me the -5v that some games require.

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/80006400.htm

It says it is compatible with a #8 terminal...I guess they mean 8 pin din?

Any help would be appreciated here.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Well, I think I need a beefier PSU for my supergun.

I have an Ault SC200 right now, but it does not supply -5v. MY SG has an 8 pin DIN connector.

Size is not issue -- I don't care how big it is, and it will be in a very well ventilated area.

Will this do the trick? I basically just want something to give me the -5v that some games require.

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/80006400.htm

It says it is compatible with a #8 terminal...I guess they mean 8 pin din?

Any help would be appreciated here.

It has 8 Screw terminals.... You can always connect it to an 8 pin din...

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
#8 terminal refers to the size of the fork connectors that fit the PSU's terminal block. Not sure why you thought it referred to a DIN connector.

In any case I recommend spending slightly more and going for this model. I have one and am very happy with it, and especially for supergun usage it is much more versatile in terms of mounting.

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/80021000.htm

dark penguin

#8 terminal refers to the size of the fork connectors that fit the PSU's terminal block. Not sure why you thought it referred to a DIN connector.

In any case I recommend spending slightly more and going for this model. I have one and am very happy with it, and especially for supergun usage it is much more versatile in terms of mounting.

http://www.happcontrols.com/powersupplies/80021000.htm

Money's not an issue, really, I was just looking for something that wouldn't require any rewiring. I just want to plug it into a jack and then into the 8 pin on my SG.
It noted input, but I'm not sure what kind of connector it uses for output. Maybe I'm just overlooking it on the web page.

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
If size isn't an issue for your case, mount a psu like that internally and slap a panal mount 3 prong socket right on your supergun. Like the Supernova by mas.

Dscn5434.jpg

dark penguin

If size isn't an issue for your case, mount a psu like that internally and slap a panal mount 3 prong socket right on your supergun. Like the Supernova by mas.

Dscn5434.jpg

Ah, I meant size isn't an issue because I wanted the PSU to remain external...I have lots of shelf space for the setup.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Ah, I meant size isn't an issue because I wanted the PSU to remain external...I have lots of shelf space for the setup.

Well, I don't recommend using one of these out in the open...
You will have exposed AC and DC terminals.... Not the safest thing in the world......
So you should put it inside an enclosure...

What I would really recommend is that you use a PC ATX psu...

They are self enclosed..... And have fans...

And you can easily attach a remote power switch.... So that you don't have to plug/unplug the thing.....

dark penguin

Well, I don't recommend using one of these out in the open...
You will have exposed AC and DC terminals.... Not the safest thing in the world......
So you should put it inside an enclosure...

What I would really recommend is that you use a PC ATX psu...

They are self enclosed..... And have fans...

And you can easily attach a remote power switch.... So that you don't have to plug/unplug the thing.....

Yea, I was looking at an ATX as well. It wouldn't be exposed, really...it's sort of hard to explain, but I turned my home bar into a supergun area and the PSU is blocked off but ventilated.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Yea, I was looking at an ATX as well. It wouldn't be exposed, really...it's sort of hard to explain, but I turned my home bar into a supergun area and the PSU is blocked off but ventilated.

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Well, i would go with the ATX since it's similar in cost and already has the wires... Just drop a 8 pin din on there....

But if you go with the Arcade PSU, at least put some electrical tape over the AC terminals......

I don't like that Buzz I get when I grab one that's on...... Reminds me of being bored and daring eachother to grab onto the electric fence...

Good times.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I'd advise against using an ATX I have had nothing but problems with them. +5v has always been low and non adjustable.

As for the 8 pin DIN you'd simply crimp some fork terminals onto some wires and attach them to the PSU & then solder the other ends of the wires to the appropriate pins on the DIN connector.

dark penguin

I'd advise against using an ATX I have had nothing but problems with them. +5v has always been low and non adjustable.

As for the 8 pin DIN you'd simply crimp some fork terminals onto some wires and attach them to the PSU & then solder the other ends of the wires to the appropriate pins on the DIN connector.

Ah, thanks! That's what I was looking for re: the 8 pin DIN. Should be simple enough, and I think I'm actually going to go with one of the Happ PSUs but make sure it's properly enclosed. I've got a couple pals that can help me out with the soldering because I'm a real greenhorn with that.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

I've never had a prob with the +5 of the atx... OR you can go AT.....

Also, I prefer solder connectors to crimp anyday.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
It has 8 Screw terminals.... You can always connect it to an 8 pin din...
I have the power supply linked in the first post, and wiring up an 8 pin DIN like you suggested is exactly what I did to make it work with my existing supergun that I'd wired to work with the SW300. That supply works just fine.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
A properly crimped connector is far stronger than a solder joint.

And a properly soldered connector carries current better.

The downside is a soldered connector is more prone to breakage from vibration which is why wires in a car are always crimped and NEVER soldered.

dark penguin

I have the power supply linked in the first post, and wiring up an 8 pin DIN like you suggested is exactly what I did to make it work with my existing supergun that I'd wired to work with the SW300. That supply works just fine.

Excellent, thanks. I'm going to order one of the Happ supplies. How do you have yours enclosed, or do you? I have my SG rig on a bartop with lots of room and I'm probably just going to section off an area for the PSU...maybe put a mesh divider in place.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Excellent, thanks. I'm going to order one of the Happ supplies. How do you have yours enclosed, or do you? I have my SG rig on a bartop with lots of room and I'm probably just going to section off an area for the PSU...maybe put a mesh divider in place.
My supergun is in a small Radio Shack project case, so both power supplies I use (SW300 tabletop and the arcade supply) are external.