How do you all feel about Metal Slug 6/7?

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
We all know the greatness of Metal Slug 1/2/X/3.

- MS4 was a major downgrade, very mugen-ish.
- MS5 was a tremendous step in the right direction (compared to 4) with some great ideas but seemed a bit unfinished.

Now we have Metal Slug 6 and Metal Slug 7. Personally I feel their only real strengths are some very creative/fun boss battles. They do have a few good ideas sprinkled here and there, but they don't seem to be aren't executed as well as they could be.

- The backgrounds leave a LOT to be desired.
- I'm not a fan of the constant shower of gold coins, it's almost annoying to me.
- Dual weapon system is nice for saving ammo, but also seems like an easy way out of properly balancing some areas.
- I don't care much for every character having different strengths, this isn't a big deal though since the differences are minor at best.
- LASER GUN IS NOT SUPPOSED TO SHOOT DIAGONAL!!1111 GARRHGGFGDASGVCVB NOOOOO

So I'm wondering.. How do you guys feel about these games? Am I just completely jaded towards the games on the Neo Geo? I'd like to hear some more opinions. Hopefully we can all agree that the backgrounds in MS6/7, for the most part, are crap.

I feel Metal Slug 5 is a better game than 6 or 7. Is that wrong?! :scratch:

SuperDeadite

Zero's Tailor
1,2,3 are what I usually play. X is good, but I usually only play it with a buddy.

4 is bland and boring.
5 is unfinished some great stuff, some terrible stuff.
6 haven't played much of it, the backgrounds suck too much
7 on DS? No thanks.

lordnikon

Another Striker
The new sound effects on the machine guns are awkward in 6. Also, I hate the backgrounds in MS6. They are so ugly. Its almost as if they are washed out 3D graphics seen in some Simple 2000 series game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I feel pretty good about them fuckwad! Now why don't you look for the respective threads for each title and findout for yourself instead of making new threads for a topic that's been talked again and again.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Series died after 3 , the rest don't exist to me.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I feel pretty good about them fuckwad! Now why don't you look for the respective threads for each title and findout for yourself instead of making new threads for a topic that's been talked again and again.

electricgrave! In all these years I've never known you to be so insightful, thank YOU! I was unaware that NG.com was nearing it's monthly bandwidth cap due to the complete overload of Metal Slug 6/7 related topics. Sweet jesus, there ARE 13 other ones right below this one. Wish I'd have seen those OLOLOL. I'll be damned, you are even in all of them making yourself look like a total jackass. Well, I'm glad you chimed in on this one just to authenticate things. thx u!! Write back soon, kisses.

Chainclaw

Geese's Thug
I'll wait to try Metal Slug 7 when it comes out on XBLA. Contra 4 on the DS left a bad taste in my mouth and I did not want to be disappointed again.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
There out there! I'm telling you! Next time brush your teeth though 'cause it stinks of BS brother, just 'cause your too lazy too look for them it doesn't mean that you can be kissing me and stuff!

My word is law here, I authenticate that this thread is retarded and apparently filled with noobness! 'xept for Kerns and I of course :emb

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
There out there! I'm telling you! Next time brush your teeth though 'cause it stinks of BS brother, just 'cause your too lazy too look for them it doesn't mean that you can be kissing me and stuff!
Know what else is out there? Books that explain the difference between there/they're and your/you're. You might want to check one out sometime.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
> auth thread

Connecting to user.electricgrave...
Connection established.
Attempting to authenticate thread validity...
Authentication failed.
Thread is full of noobness and is therefore lame.

>

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I'll wait to try Metal Slug 7 when it comes out on XBLA. Contra 4 on the DS left a bad taste in my mouth and I did not want to be disappointed again.

I actually thought Contra 4 was quite good despite the DS Lite's D-pad which is, quite honestly, complete crap when it comes to using diagonals. But if you were disappointed with that (and I'm assuming you don't have a complete hatred for the Contra series) you'll probably be horrified by Metal Slug 7. Sad but true. :P

Here's one nice thing though. The packaging on the US release of Metal Slug 7 is rad, it's somewhat like a modern day Working Designs release.

ms7a.jpg

- Cardboard slip cover (it's all shiny and pretty too)
- Mini poster
- Mini CD (I assume it has some of the soundtrack on it, haven't bothered checking)
- Full color manual

When the hell has there ever been a DS game released with packaging like this? None that I'm aware of.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Please, we needn't make fun of elec's third world grammar. If there is one thing on this board that HAS been talked about here more than enough it's that.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Typos happen brother deal with it.

> auth thread

Connecting to user.electricgrave...
Connection established.
Authentication failed.
Thread is full of noobness and is therefore lame.

>
See! Deuce gets the idea.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I lied to myself about liking 6. There were some nice ideas, yeah, but the backgrounds and multi-hit enemies really killed the flow for me. The final boss was at least cool.

Just played the first four levels of 7, the first three levels are made of brown and are indistinguishable from each other.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
6 was one of the most boring games I have played in my life, terrible.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
You know what's good? I'll tell you what's good! Commando Steel Disaster, I liked it! I was playing this forever while waiting for MS7 and now I find myself playing more commando than MS7. I'm one of the few chosen ones that can like all the Metal Slugs without prejudice 'cause that's how it is...brother! I also liked Contra 4, however the freaking 20 anniversary logo in it makes me feel old and perverted...yeah it does...damn it!

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
Well, y'know Mean Gene! I actually hadn't realized that Commando: Steel Disaster was even released. Nor did I know it had a name change. Some may know this game a bit better under the name it was originally announced as: "07 Commando". It looks to be an excellent Metal Slug clone for the DS. It's been so long since I heard anything on it that I had thought it got canned.

Thanks for the heads up elec!! Damn, it's only $15 too. INSTA BUY. OOOOOO YEEAAAH!!!11

Chainclaw

Geese's Thug
I actually thought Contra 4 was quite good despite the DS Lite's D-pad which is, quite honestly, complete crap when it comes to using diagonals. But if you were disappointed with that (and I'm assuming you don't have a complete hatred for the Contra series) you'll probably be horrified by Metal Slug 7. Sad but true. :P

I love the Contra series, but I found the d-pad issues frustrating, like you said, and the screen gap was a huge problem in Contra 4 for me, as well. I tend to not look at the other screen on the DS that often due to the screen gap (I know Contra 1 was TATE or whatever it is called), so it was just frustrating.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I honestly think the double screen was the best part of Contra 4 and the gap means shit to me, well that's 'cause I used to play G&W dual screen games and what have you when I was a kid...yes I know I'm an old fart, but still the dual screen titles kick ass! I wish all the titles were like this. Hell! I wish Ketsui was like this, man I'd be in heaven with a vert shmup with dual screen.

There you go Lard my pleasure. Have you played Little Red Riding Hood Zombie BBQ? Now that is the shitstains I tell you! The game is awsome, it is quite unfortunate that is lacking a cool scoring system, in fact is lacking a scoring system period, but still the game is ace, so if you liked Nam '75 you'll like this all the way, but don't get your hopes up if you liked Nam '75 a whole lot, it controls way different, but is still a ton of fun and it borrows some aspects from this type of games.

BTW, wasn't commando 07 released in japan for the GBA? I don't think it was a DS title in jp, but I could be wrong.

Praise the Lard

Sieger's Squire
I haven't even heard of that one, but with a title like that it sounds like a killer app. Now I'm going to have to buy it, if only for the title. Hell that one is only $20 too, why is it all the good games are so cheap these days?

Keep the game recommendations coming elec! I will recommend Exit DS, it's only $20.. It's not as pretty as the PSP/XBLA game but it's decent enough and I loves me some Exit. Imagine 2D Prince of Persia mixed with Lemmings with a cool art style smathered on top or something, it's hard to describe.

I don't think that game was released on GBA in Japan, I could be wrong though. Maybe you are thinking of that horrible "metal slug clone" that WAS on GBA, CT Special Forces or something rather? AVOID.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I've been meaning to play Exit, I'm gonna check on it. Did you play the n+ for DS or any other console? I think you might like it.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
I liked 5, but it was rushed as we saw when the rom was cracked and we found all those files not used at all.

6, fuck 6 its unfairly hard and silly.

4 is still the worst.

Honestly the series should be put down, you can't do too much with this style before it gets god awful boring. I know asking for a new IP is asking for the impossible but....A NEW FUCKING IP SNK PLEASE!

fiolinagermi

Zero's Secretary
I still really like Metal Slug 1. I think 2/X/3 are good, absolutely, but there is something to be said about the original that started it all. Not in all cases, but in this case I think MS1 was just the best.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
I still really like Metal Slug 1. I think 2/X/3 are good, absolutely, but there is something to be said about the original that started it all. Not in all cases, but in this case I think MS1 was just the best.

Thats because it was, theres no question about it.

makes me laugh when people say metal slug x, clueless.