How long will this amiibo craze last?

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Dammit, I just have shit luck with amiibos. I already had Samus and Ganon from Japan, so the only one I really wanted this wave was the classic 8-bit Mario...which if course I can't find.

If anyone comes across one in the wild do me a solid and scoop for me plz.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Dammit, I just have shit luck with amiibos. I already had Samus and Ganon from Japan, so the only one I really wanted this wave was the classic 8-bit Mario...which if course I can't find.

If anyone comes across one in the wild do me a solid and scoop for me plz.

Classic colours, not modern, right? I'll keep my eyes peeled for you Moe.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
I feel glad that circumstances caused me to miss out on waves starting in around May.

I'm now back to sanity and off the amiibo train. I believe I missed out on Zero Suit Samus, Wario, and Pac-Man, but oh well.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Just picked up the classic colours 8-bit Mario! Looks great! :buttrock:

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I own ZERO amiibo's. I sat this one out. Judging by the money people have dropped, I'm glad I did.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Moe, still looking for classic 8-bit Mario?

I am! Cory Poooooooooooooon hooked me up big time with a free modern color Mario, but I'd love to a classic one too! I'll shoot you a PM and we can chat.

Last edited:

everten

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I am! Cory Poooooooooooooon hooked me up big time with a free modern color Mario, but I'd love to a classic one too! I'll shoot you a PM and we can chat.

Shoot me a PM. I grabbed one extra at store.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Picked up the Retro 3-Pack today at Gamestop that I had reserved. Really sharp set of characters. R.O.B. is crazy detailed.

Then drove all over town trying to find the Animal Crossing Amiibo cards. It's like most placed didn't even get them at all. Finally found some at Toy's R Us and managed to get them to price match Amazon's price ($5.99 vs. TRU's stupid high $6.99).
The cards are a bit thinner than I was expecting. And out of the 8 packs I bought, I ended up with 8 duplicate cards. That's a downright terrible amount of repeated cards for that price tag.

Edit: Someone may or may not have gotten 6 of the same card in a pack--
https://www.reddit.com/r/amiibo/comments/3mfdzp/got_six_of_the_same_card_in_one_pack/

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
At least trading cards will be easy enough. Funny how times have changed; used to be you'd trade cards on the playgound, now it's iver the net and through the mail.

I've got about a dozen doubles myself.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
At least trading cards will be easy enough. Funny how times have changed; used to be you'd trade cards on the playgound, now it's iver the net and through the mail.

I've got about a dozen doubles myself.

Either of you guys have Happy Home Designer? I got a Sable card with the game. Functionality hasn't added much of anything other than having Sable show up to visit. Supposedly she'd show up anyway. Only valuable cards will be the main cast like Isabelle, Digby, KK, etc, since you can only work with them if you have their card.

Still hard to justify picking these up just to game. Feeling these are for the collectors only, but blind packs and 400 total cards is nuts.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Either of you guys have Happy Home Designer? I got a Sable card with the game. Functionality hasn't added much of anything other than having Sable show up to visit. Supposedly she'd show up anyway. Only valuable cards will be the main cast like Isabelle, Digby, KK, etc, since you can only work with them if you have their card.

Still hard to justify picking these up just to game. Feeling these are for the collectors only, but blind packs and 400 total cards is nuts.

My mom's nuts for Animal Crossing, so I bought her the game and was going to try and build her a set of the first 100 cards. At least I can then turn around and borrow them to scan into whatever random Nintendo game happens to use them.
Going for all 400 cards, though? Er... >_>

Last edited:

Undefined

Pope Sazae's fake account
Should I start getting the cards now to have for when Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival comes out in case a crazy demand starts up like the figures had? All I will want is enough to be able to completely enjoy the mini-games on there.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Should I start getting the cards now to have for when Animal Crossing: amiibo Festival comes out in case a crazy demand starts up like the figures had? All I will want is enough to be able to completely enjoy the mini-games on there.

Amiibo Festival is supposed to come bundled with two figures, and the card packs come with one special character card per pack (some of which they're making figures of). So maybe just buy like 2 packs so you have some extra core characters. I haven't heard much about how exactly that game is going to work with the existing amiibo and cards at this point.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Amiibo Festival is supposed to come bundled with two figures, and the card packs come with one special character card per pack (some of which they're making figures of). So maybe just buy like 2 packs so you have some extra core characters. I haven't heard much about how exactly that game is going to work with the existing amiibo and cards at this point.

I got a few packs today. No dupes, and got DJ KK and Isabella as my special cards. Guess I lucked out.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
So I cancelled my preorder for the 3 pack to save money, and somehow I ended up browsing in a gamestop today and saw this pack sitting behind the counter - they had 2 extra. The ROB amiibo particularly looked wayy better than the pic online and what I would have imagined. So I bought it :oh_no:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member

Happy Home Designer is great, I'm looking forward to being able to sit down with it more. I got a few more packs today and scored a few good ones like K.K Slider and Digby, but have 18 doubles; my wife is going to look into trades. I've got to get one of those AC Amiibo card books to keep them in since I've no where to put them right now other than in a stack on my desk.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Happy Home Designer is great, I'm looking forward to being able to sit down with it more. I got a few more packs today and scored a few good ones like K.K Slider and Digby, but have 18 doubles; my wife is going to look into trades. I've got to get one of those AC Amiibo card books to keep them in since I've no where to put them right now other than in a stack on my desk.

Or you could just get a three ring binder and some 9 pocket baseball card sleeves. ^_^;

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
In case anyone was wondering, the cards do work with Amiibo tap, and can be registered to an owner. There's no way I'm sitting and registering every card, though ;) Hope when the time comes, and if Amiibo Festival supports the cards, we can just use them like in HHD and not have to register them to an owner first.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I've bought 18 packs so far (8 from TRU and 8 from Wal-Mart)... and there was one pack where I only got 1 new card. This is one hard set to complete. I've got the equivalent of 6 packs worth of doubles now. >_>

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I've bought 18 packs so far (8 from TRU and 8 from Wal-Mart)... and there was one pack where I only got 1 new card. This is one hard set to complete. I've got the equivalent of 6 packs worth of doubles now. >_>

We should just setup trades here. I want a Tom Nook and KK Slider. I'll buy a few more packs, but I doubt I'll be lucky enough to get both... Just hoping we don't all end up with like a dozen of the same dupes ;)