How long will this amiibo craze last?

xxjimmypxx

Rugal's Thug
I still haven't got a call about my retro 3pack. I've been too busy to just take a spin over there.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Plenty of stock of the Mii Fighters 3-pack at TRU this morning. I wouldn't count on this happening 2 weeks from now for Mega Yarn Yoshi...

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Plenty of stock of the Mii Fighters 3-pack at TRU this morning. I wouldn't count on this happening 2 weeks from now for Mega Yarn Yoshi...

Really? I recall reading some reddit post that some stores were getting like 60 units of Mega Yarn Yoshi.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
They're still not plentiful, but stock has been improved greatly with the last few waves. I'm really psyched I'm finally going to be able to snag a Tom Nook amiibo in two weeks, but... Not having one on pre-order still gives me the nerd-stress. Not looking forward to getting up early just to hunt a Tom Nook on the 13th, but if I have to, I have to.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I got Pac-Man, he looks too cool, I just had to get it! So now I got Luigi Rocket and Pac-Man, bought a Pink Wool Yoshi for the GF. Was gonna get her chibi-robo with the amibo but I cheaped out and got her the regular edition without the amibo, I dunno, it didn't look that cool.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
They're still not plentiful, but stock has been improved greatly with the last few waves. I'm really psyched I'm finally going to be able to snag a Tom Nook amiibo in two weeks, but... Not having one on pre-order still gives me the nerd-stress. Not looking forward to getting up early just to hunt a Tom Nook on the 13th, but if I have to, I have to.

Tom Nook seems pretty easy to preorder. I've seen him up at Walmart and Best Buy websites. Mabel is the more elusive one for me freight not but I'm not sure I want to get started on Animal Crossing Amiibo though...I haven't ever played any Animal Crossing games and I'm not sure I want to try now.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
Apologies if this was already mentioned - but does anyone know if the Animal Crossing amiibo figures will be compatible with Happy Home Designer?

Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival is not my cup of tea…so if the figures are not compatible with Happy Home Designer my motivation to get them is a little less...

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Tom Nook seems pretty easy to preorder. I've seen him up at Walmart and Best Buy websites. Mabel is the more elusive one for me freight not but I'm not sure I want to get started on Animal Crossing Amiibo though...I haven't ever played any Animal Crossing games and I'm not sure I want to try now.

No Tom Nooks at Best Buy within 250 miles of LA makes me a sad-animal. They were gone around here before I saw the listing go up, but that was only an hour after the post on reddit. Sad-animal.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Apologies if this was already mentioned - but does anyone know if the Animal Crossing amiibo figures will be compatible with Happy Home Designer?

Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival is not my cup of tea…so if the figures are not compatible with Happy Home Designer my motivation to get them is a little less...

I'm not sure, and I don't think it's been mentioned. The cards supposedly will work with Amiibo Festival, and I can only assume the figures will work with HHD, but knowing Nintendo, that probably isn't safe to assume. I'll try mine on Friday and report back... Hopefully they'll still be obtainable then. I at least have the three pack coming with KK Slider.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Welp, there he is. Tom Nook just popped up for pickup at my local Best Buy. Happy-animal, now. Still no Mabel, but I don't really need her, anyway.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Welp, there he is. Tom Nook just popped up for pickup at my local Best Buy. Happy-animal, now. Still no Mabel, but I don't really need her, anyway.

Oh great to hear! Congrats! Mabel sort of went up on Best Buy today, but you couldn't ship it and when you ask for pick-up in-store, it wouldn't let you select a store.

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
I'm not sure, and I don't think it's been mentioned. The cards supposedly will work with Amiibo Festival, and I can only assume the figures will work with HHD, but knowing Nintendo, that probably isn't safe to assume. I'll try mine on Friday and report back... Hopefully they'll still be obtainable then. I at least have the three pack coming with KK Slider.

Thanks RabbitTroop, definitely keep us posted. I should probably just get them anyway in the hope that there will be a traditional animal crossing game for the Wii U that uses them - that would be so raaaaaad

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks RabbitTroop, definitely keep us posted. I should probably just get them anyway in the hope that there will be a traditional animal crossing game for the Wii U that uses them - that would be so raaaaaad

Having never played any Animal Crossing games before, is it just me or does Amiibo Festival and Happy Home Designer seem kind of underwhelming? Will fans really buy these games or are these really targeted at the hardcore true-believer superfan?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member

Part of me, a selfish part of me, says I kind of want it to wait for the Nintendo NX or be another 3DS version, since I spend too much time on AC games, and I really like the idea of having a on-the-go console for it, so I don't lose my job.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Having never played any Animal Crossing games before, is it just me or does Amiibo Festival and Happy Home Designer seem kind of underwhelming? Will fans really buy these games or are these really targeted at the hardcore true-believer superfan?

Amiibo Festival is Mario Party with AC characters. It looks OK, at best, but I'm a sucker for Animal Crossing games and it does come with a couple Amiibos, so whatevs. I'll bite.

Happy Home Designer was one I feared I wouldn't care for, but it's a really fun pseudo-game. There's zero challenge, and you're not judged on anything you design by the game itself, though you can upload your creations and they are rated by other players, so there is that to strive for. Still, even with no win-condition in place, I agonize over the tiniest of details while building a house or shop/building for an animal and can easily sink hours into one project. It's a good 3DS game. When I was working on the department store, which consists of a main entrance area, two unique sales floors, and an upstairs banquet hall, I spent a few hours on that over the course of a few days, putting the 3DS to sleep in-between. The amount of detail and control you have over your creations is pretty insane, right down to window treatments and rugs you throw on the ground.

HHD is not a game for everyone, but for the people who want a more casual creative game, it's pretty awesome. I didn't have too high of hopes for HHD, but ended up really liking it, even if it didn't have the staying power of a true Animal Crossing game, like New Leaf on the 3DS.

Amiibo Festival I'm kind of going in it the same way. I'm not sure I'll love it. I'll probably be underwhelmed, but I'll give it a shot because I like the franchise, and if it sucks, KK and Tom Nook's amiibos will still be chilling on my desk from here on out.

Last edited:

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
I think I'll pass on these games as they sound pretty derivative of the Animal Crossing experience. I'll import or wait for the individual Amiibo figures separately for my collection and wait and see if a more main-line Animal Crossing game gets released.

Last edited:

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
I seem to have gotten Amiibo Festival for the crazy price of $40.10 on Amazon. Not even sure why. Guess it had a price drop at some point or something. That definitely helps take the sting off of only wanting it for the figures.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
Does anyone have the wooly yoshi's? Are they pretty nice?

I do. They are really cute. I think they are pretty well made but I haven't stress tested them with young children yet. They attract attention from friends and family though so, on one hand, they are great conversation starters, but in the other, they expose my slightly embarrassing amibo collecting hobby (a.k.a insanity).

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I seem to have gotten Amiibo Festival for the crazy price of $40.10 on Amazon. Not even sure why. Guess it had a price drop at some point or something. That definitely helps take the sting off of only wanting it for the figures.

That's a crazy good price. I got it for $47 with Gamers Club Unlocked, and I was happy. Wish I'd have seen it dip that low on Amazon, because I would have snagged it there for sure. It's up at the regular retail $59.99 price now.

celeritas

Mr. Big's Thug
That's a crazy good price. I got it for $47 with Gamers Club Unlocked, and I was happy. Wish I'd have seen it dip that low on Amazon, because I would have snagged it there for sure. It's up at the regular retail $59.99 price now.

Just FYI, prime members get another $10 off of that too.