How to keep your PS3 dust free inside?

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I'm noticing my PS3 getting a lot of dust, I'm actually more concerned about dust getting inside than outside. One thing I wouldn't do is using a can of compressed air and it actually blows the dust right into the system from the vents.

Has anyone try vacuum cleaner to suck the dust out of the vents (this is where it seems to gather dust)? Does it work? BTW, I've noticed getting the system up vertically may gather more dust, horizontal is still the best layout, I put 2 books at bottom so it doesn't rest against the carpet.

Also Hori sells Dust Guard for PS3, does this cause the system to overheat? The way I see it looks more like air filter for your PS3.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
vincewy said:
[...]so it doesn't rest against the carpet.
It would probably help if your system wasn't 2 inches from the floor.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I know to keep it off the floor now (I am getting a TV stand cart), and I'm also getting a dust cover for it (amazon has it). The main thing I want to know is, if anyone has tried vacuuming it on the vents, does it suck the dust off around the vents before it gets inside? From what I heard it's the main cause of PS3 breaking down (yellow light of death).

I'm not sure if the Dust Guard by Hori will help, it keeps the dust off, but might overheat.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
This is also a problem for me as well, and thinking about it - how about having a glass door cabinet near the tv to store the PS3 in?

edit - I placed the PS3 in a cabinet area, not with a glass door, but with a solid wood door. The PS3 works fine in there, and there's enough space and air in there for it to work. I had kept my NeoGeo in the cabinet before, and there's no dust on it. However, I now need to find another place to store my neo...

DJ Daishi

Rugal's Thug
I use some weird ass over sized keyboard cover that happens to fit my PS3 perfectly.

wizkid007

Hyperspin King., Beer Not Included.,
20 Year Member
My consoles never get dusty for one reason. I just unplug the things when i am not using them. I find plugged in electronics attract more dust.

zapatistab

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I keep my PS3 inside a TV/computer cabinet. I keep the doors open when I use it of course. And I also use 3rd party dust covers. The only thing I don't cover is the side vent, and the disk slot. I dust my room once a week so that also keeps the PS3 from accumulating tons of dust.

If your concerned about dust, do what DJ Daishi does and keep it covered.

Using a vacuum also works great, but you have to do it regularly. You may have waited too long.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i wouldn't use a vacuum.

vacuums create a ton of static electricity.

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
not sonic said:
i wouldn't use a vacuum.

vacuums create a ton of static electricity.

I'll get the small vacuum by Blackdecker, just a rectangular suction cup, will I still create a ton of static electricity? What would this do to a unit? Suppose I unplug the unit and vacuum.

Now I have a dust cover for the unit (from Amazon), and Dust Guard by Hori is no longer available (this thing is like the air filter attached on the vents).