Hydro Thunder Finally Gets A Sequel!

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
http://kotaku.com/5137523/hydro-thunder-spiritual-sequel-on-the-way

The guys behind Hydro Thunder reunited and collaborated with Raw Thrills on H2Overdrive, which looks pretty good.

h2overdrive.jpg

And yes, it'll have the boat throttle. :buttrock:

AirRaid

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The original Hydro Thunder arcade game running on Midway's Quick Silver II Hardware was one of the best games made using 3DFX graphics technology.

I'm glad the team that made Hydro Thunder is working on this new game :D

330qwsy.jpg

Raw Thrills’ has revealed to us a brand new racing game that will be shown at ATEI next week that is tentatively called “H2Overdrive” (which is not based upon the PS2 game of the same name). In news that should be music to the ears of Hydro Thunder fans, Raw Thrills’ has brought together the original team that created Hydro Thunder to give us this new game, which will feature many of the things players loved about that game (such as the huge drops and many shortcuts) but add some new aspects to it as well (which they couldn’t say much about at this time).

The cabinet to be shown features a 42″ LCD HD screen, pulsing LED lights and the game itself looks “amazing”. We’ll have more on this when ATEI rolls around in a few days!

UPDATE: We just received the first screenshots of H2Overdrive from Raw Thrills’. Many thanks to them for sending us these pics. Now just imagine the game running at 60 fps on a 42″ screen and we have a good idea of what it will look like in person ;)

UPDATE #2: I asked Andrew Eloff at Raw Thrills’ about the throttle control on H2Overdrive and he has confirmed that the new games does indeed use the Hydro Throttle like what was used in the original game but it has been “upgraded to be more reliable PLUS with cool new features!”. He also tells us that “The whole cabinet is a radical departure from the original Hydro…This cabinet is brand new from the ground up.”

More reason to rejoice!

http://arcadeheroes.com/2009/01/22/...lls-and-the-hydro-thunder-team-to-be-at-atei/

Last edited:

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
hydro thunder was a fun arcade racer so this is a nice welcome.

SSS

neo retired
midway needs to get off their ass and port Hydro Thunder over to xbox live or the ps3 game store with HD graphics.

aria

Former Moderator
But is the sequel arcade perfect? I'm looking at the edges and I don't see blades of grass in front of the trees.

AirRaid

B. Jenet's Firstmate
VIDEOS (HOLY FUCK IT'S GLORIOUS 60FPS BLISS!)
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23452
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23454
http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/23453

MORE SCREENS

3007hpj.jpg

2ytqryv.jpg

14aes9j.jpg

1zn8oxc.jpg

2qcifpe.jpg

2qtl9bs.jpg

j9bxuc.jpg

eju3c7.jpg

11v6684.jpg

wwntrr.jpg

2ajopwo.jpg

avjzir.jpg

24ce3ar.jpg

91bhq1.jpg

16hrwv8.jpg

t5hk3l.jpg

1UP.com PREVIEW

We go hands-on and deliver the first video footage of this spiritual successor to Hydro Thunder, from part of the team that made the original game.
By Matt Leone 01/23/2009

If you ask my coworkers, they'll tell you I spend a bit too much of my time tracking developers. The theory, as it goes in my head, is that people who have made games I've liked in the past will probably do so again, so when I heard from an arcade operator friend back in mid-2007 that Steve Ranck had started up a new development studio, I did a double take.

Ranck isn't a household name in the game industry, but his track record holds up better than most. For the purposes of this story -- oh yeah, this is supposed to be a preview of the new arcade boat racing game H2Overdrive; I'll get to that soon, promise -- the most relevant game he's worked is the much beloved Hydro Thunder, which he headed up at Midway San Diego approximately 10 years ago. Following that, he formed Swingin' Ape Studios, which produced the excellent shooter Metal Arms before getting bought by Blizzard to take over development on StarCraft Ghost.

Long story short, Blizzard cancelled Ghost, Ranck left, and then Eugene Jarvis (best known for classic games like Robotron and Defender, and current proprietor of arcade publisher/developer Raw Thrills) convinced him to form a company to make arcade games for Raw Thrills. Enter new developer Specular Interactive and H2Overdrive.

Before Midway closed their arcade division, Ranck and co. were actually working on an official "Hydro Thunder 2" that never made it very far in development. Apparently the name is deceiving, however, as Ranck describes it as "kind of an expansion pack." He elaborates: "We were just gonna add some tracks, beef up the boats, add a new set of boats, and things like that."

"[Jarvis] has figured it out where nobody else has," says Ranck. "Nobody's selling coin-op these days except for Eugene, and he's selling a lot of them. So he called me up, and he said, 'What are you doing?' I said, 'Not a whole lot -- just hanging out here, writing some technology.' And he said, 'I have a project to talk to you about.' So I flew back to Chicago and saw his operation there. He said he's been really successful with what he's done, but he's getting a lot of requests from arcade operators for another boat racing game..."

In everything except the name, H2Overdrive is a sequel to Hydro Thunder. It's still all about boat racing, with a throttle to the right of the steering wheel, no pedals, gameplay focused on collecting boost power-ups, crazy jumps and courses, etc. -- even about half of the team at Specular worked with Ranck on the original back at Midway. When you sit down and play the game, you feel like you're playing Hydro Thunder brought up-to-date. I didn't have to think twice about picking up blue and red power-ups to gain boost power, holding down the button on the throttle to zoom forward, or aiming for ramps whenever possible.

That "up-to-date" part means you'll see plenty of new water physics effects, debris in the middle of courses that you can try to avoid or ram out of the way, and elaborate backgrounds that seem to be going for a Disneyland-style aesthetic. Compared to other games published by Raw Thrills, this is a big step forward visually. "Nobody's really seen a next-gen quality game in arcades for quite a while," says Ranck. If you slow down too much or look closely at a few of the screenshots, you can spot certain textures that prevent the game from competing evenly with top tier console driving games like MotorStorm, but that's not really a fair comparison given the budget allotted to new arcade games these days. A better match would be to think of it as Hydro Thunder HD, along the lines of what Sony did with WipeOut HD. And to keep that comparison going, the game will run at a consistent 60 frames-per-second, which helps a lot in making it look good.

H2Overdrive also adds a few gameplay features to the Hydro Thunder formula -- most notably, an upgrade system that allows players to take their boats from Level 1 to Level 40, earning new abilities along the way. Each time you race, you earn a certain number of "props" (usually over 100), and for every 100 props received, you move your boat of choice up one level. When you hit Level 2, you get the Superboost upgrade that lets you track down gold power-ups for double the speed of your typical boosts. Later on, you earn the ability to perform stunts in midair (which you control by moving the throttle back and forth quickly) along the lines of something you'd find in a Tony Hawk game.

If the name H2Overdrive sounds familiar, you're not crazy. It turns out Crave had a console game in development under that game awhile back. "It was cancelled and their trademark lapsed so we jumped on it," says Ranck, noting "this game has nothing to do with that." Click the image above to check out 20 H2Overdrive screens.

Much like some Atari arcade games towards the end of their run, each arcade cabinet will feature a phone keypad password entry system so you can store data for each of your boats. And though none of this will be customizable -- my Level 40 boat will look just like your Level 40 boat -- Ranck promises additional unlockables in the game outside of the level-up structure. I spotted one hidden shortcut when playing, so we can at least count on those.

Another bonus over Hydro Thunder is that H2Overdrive will support eight players at once. It'll probably be tough to find that many cabinets linked together outside of a tradeshow or the world's biggest Dave & Busters, but it's a nice bump up should any arcade be willing to take the plunge once the game starts hitting arcades in April.

If you happen to live in London, you'll be able to get a taste of the game when it makes its official public debut at the ATEI convention next week, which is appropriate since Hydro Thunder debuted at that same show exactly 10 years ago. Seems a bit too coincidental with all the other connections between the two games, no?

Last edited:

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
This is such great news.
I don't think anyone can deny that HT is a kickass game & overall experience.
The screen shots posted gave me some genuine arcade wood (complete w/ cigarret burns & chewed up bubblegum stuck to the undercaraige)

AirRaid

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Hydro Thunder team reassembled for new game

By Michael Thompson | Published: January 23, 2009 - 03:59PM CT

When it comes to great boat-racing games, the list isn't very long. For many, especially those of us who hung out in arcades during the late 90s/early 2000s, Hydro Thunder sits firmly at the top. Supposedly, Midway had plans to develop a sequel, but they never came to fruition and it seems unlikely that the publisher will get around to it anytime soon. Raw Thrills, an arcade publisher founded by former Midway employees, though, has announced that a spiritual successor to Hydro Thunder is in the works. The best part about the news? The original game's development team has been brought back together to work on it.

The new game is set to be titled H2Overdrive, and will feature a number of the best features from the original racing title, such as massive drops, shortcuts, and the Hydro Throttle. The arcade game itself is also set to feature a 42" LCD screen and Raw Thrills is promising some unannounced new features. Andrew Eloff also told Arcade Heroes that, "[t]he whole cabinet is a radical departure from the original Hydro… this cabinet is brand new from the ground up."

Whether Raw Thrills has any plans to bring the game to consoles hasn't been revealed. The screenshots that Arcade Heroes were given to post certainly look like H2Overdrive will have the same crazy designs that made Hydro Thunder so much fun, so we can only hope the game will eventually come to home consoles.

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2009/01/23/hydro-thunder-team-reassembled-for-new-game

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
will it feel the same tho?

hydro thunder had a great arcade presence, which just made the transition to dreamcast that much more fun.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Now, it was mentioned they will make a new cabinet with HD LCD monitors and an updated shifter control. Now all I need to hear is that they will make a retrofit kit and/or conversion to existing Hydro Thunder cabinets and software.

neobuyer

Master of Disguise,
Oh man, I wouldn't have seen this shit coming, I'm in happy shock. The fucking guy at that website said this:

"...original Hydro Thunder team, creators of the best arcade racing game of all time."

Aaaaaaaaaah, what music unto my poor fool's figurative ear that shit is to finally hear. I feel this way because it's also my own personal favorite racing game OF ALL TIME! Arcade or otherwise.

With baited breath, and all that...

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Now, it was mentioned they will make a new cabinet with HD LCD monitors and an updated shifter control. Now all I need to hear is that they will make a retrofit kit and/or conversion to existing Hydro Thunder cabinets and software.

If they do that, I will poop my pants as I have a Hydro Thunder machine already. God I hope they do that!

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
how well are hydro thunder cabs holding up.

that rumble was intense .

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member

Considering that it looks like it is in 16/9...

I doubt it...

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Not necessarily. Dip switch settings could easily change that. Hell, if all these high res games can play on a low res monitor in the arcades, I don't see why they wouldn't make this exception either. After all, don't all the 360 games do either wide or full screen? It wouldn't be hard to just shink in the sides and bring that info in a bit like Hydro Thunder.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Not necessarily. Dip switch settings could easily change that. Hell, if all these high res games can play on a low res monitor in the arcades, I don't see why they wouldn't make this exception either. After all, don't all the 360 games do either wide or full screen? It wouldn't be hard to just shink in the sides and bring that info in a bit like Hydro Thunder.

Yeah I thought about it...

But I thought that they were getting away from 4:30 versions too...

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
In defense of the arcade Hydro Thunder and the other sit-down Midway driving games, they are now coming up with monitor retrofit kits for them. Cruisin USA has one which replaces the original med-res monitor with a 26" LCD wide-screen monitor and sized bezel cover and it looks FANTASTIC.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
That sounds awful. I put a 27 inch high res monitor in my Hydro Thunder, and it looks fantastic. I am not sure why a smaller monitor in an aspect ratio that's not meant for the game would be cool. Sounds silly. Nice that it's possible, however.

DangerousK

MotoGP and Formula 1 Freak
20 Year Member
Good news!

Hydro Thunder was an amazing game to play.

I can't imagine this not getting a release on a home console.