I finished today...

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Its a custom PCB with the male CPS2 header on it. There are part #s on the web for the white part, and you can buy the PCB from shadows for like 2.25 each.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Just curious .. why the dummy 5v load ? is that a voltage regulator ? could you have not used a 5v led to indicate power ?

Its a power resistor, its just a incase its used with certain PSUs that could be damaged without one. But in most cases it doesnt matter, its most likely just going to be a little space heater.

An led indicator would look nice, got a few rectangle leds which would look great on this I think.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Its a power resistor, its just a incase its used with certain PSUs that could be damaged without one. But in most cases it doesnt matter, its most likely just going to be a little space heater.

An led indicator would look nice, got a few rectangle leds which would look great on this I think.

Shadow, your stuff really looks pro, I mean it really. Your DC box could have a retail release.

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Finally built my jamma test rig. w00t. :-J

I wanted it to be flexible so I built it like a breakout box , this allows to quickly test joysticks, trackballs, spinners, etc And deal with those non standard pinouts like Rampart. There is a probe attached to pin A , so I can short any other pin : service, test, P1-Left, P2-Button4 , etc ...

9732867422_9095df89b4_c.jpg

The RGBS video is wired to a 6 pin molex connector , this allows me to output to an LCD display on my workbench... that gombes converter sucks, but it's fine for testing.

9729635091_37cc832289_c.jpg

Then I can just move that molex connector to an actual arcade monitor. I also made an extension for AC & Degauss ( red button ).

9732870980_bd9cb3a30e_c.jpg

9729644989_0a255b825c_c.jpg

I debated on weather to use AMP UP or molex... AMP UP is much better, but being able to run to radio shack in the middle of a project is priceless. :lolz:

next on my list: sell that monitor and reclaim my garage's workbench....

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Nice and clean setup. Did something similar with mine, except I used AMP connectors. But I really like youre idea with the breakout box. Makes it much faster and easier to hook up tempoary/ less common things.

Ok actually finished the padhack now. Truly done now ;).

P9125512.jpg

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Nice and clean setup. Did something similar with mine, except I used AMP connectors. But I really like youre idea with the breakout box. Makes it much faster and easier to hook up tempoary/ less common things.

Ok actually finished the padhack now. Truly done now ;).

View attachment 6967

Nice, I always like the look of non-circlular lights. Only other thing I would do is cut the key on the jamma edge.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Nice, I always like the look of non-circlular lights. Only other thing I would do is cut the key on the jamma edge.
Yea me too.Its a bit more work, but looks much nicer imo. Im probably going to cut the key. I wasnt going to, but just in case it goes to someone that uses a keyed harness, less problems that way.

Ok actually finished the padhack now. Truly done now .

Thanks.

Finished puting together a little tool that makes easier to work/diagnose issues on CPS1 motherboards.

P9175533.jpg
P9175553.jpg
P9175550.jpg

city41

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
dumb question on padhacks: how do you hook the jamma edge on the padhack to your cab? Do you have jamma harnesses with two inputs on them?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
dumb question on padhacks: how do you hook the jamma edge on the padhack to your cab? Do you have jamma harnesses with two inputs on them?

Usually these are used when putting a console in the cab, so the jamma harness goes to the padhack (instead of a PCB) so that the control panel of the cab can act as the controllers for the console. Does that answer your question?

city41

Vice's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Usually these are used when putting a console in the cab, so the jamma harness goes to the padhack (instead of a PCB) so that the control panel of the cab can act as the controllers for the console. Does that answer your question?

Yes, and that was a truly dumb question :) haha. It's been a long day.

Thanks!

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
That's cool.

So simple it's sexy.

:D

It is, though some games dont seem to like the long ribbon cable I think. Worked fine with SFII, but it didnt like Final Fight as much. Creating some sprites doubling on certain animations for a split second.

Hopefully a shorter cable fixes it.
But good enough to work with for now.

Last edited:

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
impressive workmanship isn't it... its a very simple thing to do obviously, hardest part is getting the pin out of the hinged piece that the coin return button usually hits into.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Nice work, man! This is perfect for games like DD2 that don't have a freeplay option! I'll have to mod my NAC for this :D

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Ha, that is clever. Great idea. Makes it easy to spam credits on all those beat em ups. I'll have to look into doing the same.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Finished a really basic supergun today. My NAOMI has it's own pretty dedicated rig that I hate disassembling to borrow the JAMMA harness, so I made this mainly for my CPS2. I built it to accomodate other boards too. There's no video encoder as I really only plan to use it with my PVMs for the time being. Audio circuit isn't attenuated but I have a nice 8 ohm speaker I can plug in for boards that need it.

I use my own DB15 pinout that is easier for me to remember than the neo pinout. It has 2 pins for button 4, one to the JAMMA harness and one to the CPS2 kick harness. I wired it like that in case I get some tanksticks from Jasens customs with the 7 button viewlix layout; I can use the 4th button on the top row for JAMMA (Neo Geo use) and the bottom row buttons for the kick harness (NAOMI / CPS2).

If you're wondering why the video is RCA out, I use component video switchboxes on my PVM's that have 6 jacks per input (R G B CVid R L). I use the composite video input for the sync signal. The switch boxes are hooked to PVMs using RCA -> BNC adaptors. It works really well, and I don't have to worry about scart cables for the most part.

sg3.jpg

sg1.jpg

sg2.jpg