I played Shining force on GBA yesterday and it's quite good.

Robert

20 Year Member
I got it from a bargain bin a while ago (I bought it because the name sounded familiar) and I gave it a try yesterday. I was hooked for some hours!!

The game style is pure 16 bit style when it comes to graphics and music. I think it's better than FF I&II for the graphics and animations but the music doesn't have the variety and the quality of FF (the music can be boring during the fights)

It is sold as a RPG, but I would rather describe it as a tactical RPG. The scenario as a whole is quite regular (you are the hero who will create the shining force to fight against the bad guys who wants to resurrect the dark dragon) but I like the way it is made (at the beginning you see a girl with a book and by the quest you do, you write the its story. The game is divided into chapters with an epilogue for each).

The plus of the game IMHO:
-Tons of characters with specific abilities
-A lot of different classes of characters with promotion possibilities for some.
-The battle system. I play a lot super robot taisen games so I was quite confortable with the tactical turn based style.
-Bonus system: Every battleh as a bonus you can get if you achieve something in particular (in my last battle, I had to kill everyone in 18 turns maximum)
-Card system: you can get cards in the games by specific actions (speaking with someone, fighting someone,etc..). Each cards represent a character/ennemy, has some ability and can be used by a specifc character.
-The 16 bit style
-The scenario. Ok it's the usual shit but I like the story line.

The downside of the game:
-The items system: Not very well made. Each characters has 4 slots for objects to use and 4 slots for object to carry (potion,etc..). Every time you find something, it goes to the one who find it so you have to unequip it and then give it to someone else. when you have a 12 guys team, it can be annoying.
-The leveling system. Basicelly you have to do the mission again and again, retreating before the end, to have your WHOLE team at a required level and to get money. I stopped doing since I could win the battles with the bonus from the first attempt. But then I couldn't afford the new items plus my team starting to be unbalanced (especially when it comes to move during the fight: I always had to wait for the low level guys to join the rest of the group).

My overall opinion is very positive and I recommend the game for all the Tactical/RPG fans.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'm a fan of the original Shining Force series on the Genesis. Awesome games! This GBA game you're talking about is a remake of the original with better graphics and sound, and a slightly enhanced storyline.

Robert

20 Year Member
ki_atsushi said:
I'm a fan of the original Shining Force series on the Genesis. Awesome games! This GBA game you're talking about is a remake of the original with better graphics and sound, and a slightly enhanced storyline.

Yes I think it's this one. You have more weapons, the card system and other little stuff like the possibility to equip more than one ring.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
too bad the series went downhill after the first 2 games and kept going down after that.

Shining Force gaidens and CD lacked the RPG elements (they only have battles ..... no exploration)

some of the Spin offs were good, but we want the original series.

Shining Force 3 ..... it has good and bad things. it's part of the original series, but it's in 3D and the frame-rate was low. beside, they did not finish part 2 and 3 in the US.

then the series stopped for a long time, and now they are giving us things like Shining Tears and Shining Force Neo.

come on, Sega. is it really hard to make something as simple as the first 2 games?

the GBA remake was an excellent step forward. now we want a new game.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
I finished playing Shining Force Gaiden 3 for the Game Gear yesterday.

just wanted to say that "Shining Force Centeral" did an amazing job with the translation.

I hear they are also working on translations for the Saturn games. can't wait for that.

Bakaneiro

Marked Wolf
k'_127 said:
I finished playing Shining Force Gaiden 3 for the Game Gear yesterday.

just wanted to say that "Shining Force Centeral" did an amazing job with the translation.

I hear they are also working on translations for the Saturn games. can't wait for that .

Oh yes, there was once a thread about that.

See this -- http://www.shiningforcecentral.com/news.php?m=0&story=281

The saturn's shinings were awesome

Robert

20 Year Member
For those who played the GBA game, could you please post your pros and cons of this version?

I mean the game as a whole, not only judging the remake of the game.