I'll Just Leave This Here for the Master of Clow

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
Dunno if you owned the whole series already man, but still interesting news. The series had its ups and downs, averages overall to an A- in my books.

http://www.japanator.com/congratulations-australia-madman-gets-cardcaptor-sakura-22589.phtml
Madman Acquires "Cardcaptor Sakura" TV Series
Returns the series to print in English speaking world
Greg Lanson
March 22, 2012 10:45am EDT (2 days ago)

Australian anime distributor Madman has announced in their weekly newsletter that they have acquired something that will likely make many other anime fans outside Australia lust after as well: The Cardcaptor Sakura TV series. Madman will be releasing Cardcaptor Sakura on DVD in two completely uncut, subtitled boxsets starting in July.

While it is the first time on DVD for Australia, Geneon USA previously released the series in two subtitled boxsets back in 2005. However, these are long out of print and are known to go for hundreds of dollars on the second-hand markets at times. Unfortunately, an English language release of the Blu-ray set released in Japan in 2009 still appears to be out of reach for fans.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Got them all of course including those two rare subtitled boxsets. I paid a whopping $50 for them and now they fetch several hundreds of dollars easily. Here's pics of them:
dvdclow.jpg

sakurabook2.jpg

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
This isn't the loli thread and not about Isreal...something is wrong here.

bokmeow

Got them all of course including those two rare subtitled boxsets. I paid a whopping $50 for them and now they fetch several hundreds of dollars easily. Here's pics of them:
dvdclow.jpg

sakurabook2.jpg

Wow, I didn't know they had released boxsets of Cardcaptor Sakura.
How come they were subtitled only? Is that the reason for the lower price point, and did some quality of video or audio go up because of the gain in storage space.

I have mixed feelings about the release of boxsets nowadays, it all seems to devalue this niche genre even further.

And the decade some boom in Anime hasn't seemed to inspire a resurgence of making animation here in the States — maybe the poor economy did in some promising beginnings. TokyoPop put in some energy into fostering talent until it went under, sigh.

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
all these years

i still dunno what a cardcaptor is

happy birthday

bokmeow

all these years

i still dunno what a cardcaptor is

happy birthday

The best magical girl series for all ages until Puella Magi Madoka Magica burst on the scene.
To be honest I can't really get into Puella Magi, it seems like a lot of flash but not enough substance — but I may have passed judgement upon it too soon, 'cos I've only watched one episode.
TokyoPop released the underappreciated Kami Kaze Kaitou Saint Tail, which is my personal favorite, 'cos magician + magical girl=win.
Shoujo Kakumei Utena has been categorized as magical girl, but it's really not. IMHO belongs in the top 10 anime.

DINKINS

n00b
If you're an adult male and you're actually into this type of anime, you're wicked creepy.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
How come they were subtitled only?
If I remember correctly, it was because the people who had the rights to the English-dubbed version were different than those who brought the Japanese version over. It also would have been quite a problem syncing the English dub with the original footage because the episodes were chopped-up so much for television.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Wow, I didn't know they had released boxsets of Cardcaptor Sakura.
How come they were subtitled only? Is that the reason for the lower price point, and did some quality of video or audio go up because of the gain in storage space.

I have mixed feelings about the release of boxsets nowadays, it all seems to devalue this niche genre even further.

And the decade some boom in Anime hasn't seemed to inspire a resurgence of making animation here in the States — maybe the poor economy did in some promising beginnings. TokyoPop put in some energy into fostering talent until it went under, sigh.

Here's the skinny about the anime and DVD series. The boxsets I actually got at a low price because I pre-ordered them. Nobody knew right as they came out, Geneon would lose the license to the series, then go under in the North America market, so very few came out and thus are high-priced little sets. Even the 18 individual DVDs can fetch $20+ each or $250+ for the entire series. There are many bootlegs of the series which can be bought for $40 however yes, I have the entire 18 DVD sets and the two CCS movies as well.

Nelvana dubbed the mess that was Cardcaptors in the U.S. which thoroughly butchered the series, redoing all of the music, changing the names of all the characters, same-sex relationships were edited out as well as student-teacher relationship and the focus was toward the male audience so they tried to make Syaoran more of the main character in the series. Thankfully only 39 eps were made and these DVDs go for about $2-3 a piece and should be avoided unless you really want a good lesson on how NOT to bungle a Japanese-to-English dubbed anime.

There is a Blu-Ray set of CCS released in Japan but it costs last time I seen was near $1,000 for each of the two boxsets. The two movies on Blu-Ray are about $75 each and yes, they also came out long ago on LD and they are beautiful boxsets. Alas I only own the first set which covers the first half of the series and the two movie LDs. I'll get the second set if I can find one in perfect condition in the $200 range.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
TokyoPop released the underappreciated Kami Kaze Kaitou Saint Tail, which is my personal favorite, 'cos magician + magical girl=win.
You're conflating two titles here: Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Kaitou Saint Tail. I've never read Saint Tail, though I've heard good things about it. As for Jeanne, when I read it in high school, it blew me away. When I reread it as an adult... hoo boy. Melodramatic BS that often has bad artistic errors in major panels. I still think it has a neat concept and all, but I wouldn't read it again.

Keep watching Madoka. It's only twelve episodes and it's worth it. It's also really dark and uniquely styled.

bokmeow

You're conflating two titles here: Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne and Kaitou Saint Tail. I've never read Saint Tail, though I've heard good things about it. As for Jeanne, when I read it in high school, it blew me away. When I reread it as an adult... hoo boy. Melodramatic BS that often has bad artistic errors in major panels. I still think it has a neat concept and all, but I wouldn't read it again.

Keep watching Madoka. It's only twelve episodes and it's worth it. It's also really dark and uniquely styled.

Oops, sorry you're right, Saint Tail just has "Kaitou" in its title.

I might just have to be in the right mood to watch Madoka. Sometimes finding the free time to watch stuff can feel like a chore.
Still have not gotten past the 1st disc of Evangelion :emb:

Last edited:

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Oops, sorry you're right, Saint Tail just has "Kaitou" in its title.

I might just have to be in the right mood to watch Madoka. Sometimes finding the free time to watch stuff can feel like a chore.
Still have not gotten past the 1st disc of Evangelion :emb:

I'll tell you what everyone told me before I started watching: you have to at least see the third episode. Then you can decide if you want to watch the rest or not. (And once you've seen it, I have to tell you about the four-panel comic I drew for that episode.)

I will endeavor to watch all of Evangelion one day just so that I can get the fans off my back, but of the episodes I've seen, it did nothing for me.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'm still pissed that I didn't get the box sets of CCS. I'm still waiting for another dubbing company to do a good version of CCS and Sailor Moon. I have no idea why the companies won't let them get released again with the amount of other shit anime that comes out of Japan nowadays.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
I have the Geneon box sets, too. I'm really glad I got them. I also got the movies. It's an extremely well written series.

I'd be interested in these Madman Aussie box sets if they included the Oceania English dub of 69 of the episodes that I heard aired on TV over there. It wasn't the Cardcaptors dub.

(Not 70 episodes because they supposedly cut the one pedo-ish episode from that run that actually ended up not being nearly as pedo-ish in the long run as it seemed at first, but the initial effect of the episode was that this one guy was a hardcore pedophile.)

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Sweet buttery jesus.
mmmmmmmmmm....butter :drool_2:

I have the Geneon box sets, too. I'm really glad I got them. I also got the movies. It's an extremely well written series.

I'd be interested in these Madman Aussie box sets if they included the Oceania English dub of 69 of the episodes that I heard aired on TV over there. It wasn't the Cardcaptors dub.

(Not 70 episodes because they supposedly cut the one pedo-ish episode from that run that actually ended up not being nearly as pedo-ish in the long run as it seemed at first, but the initial effect of the episode was that this one guy was a hardcore pedophile.)

According to the information, I think the Australia set will contain the subtitled, uncut version. Nowhere is there a hint of an English dub.

My personal opinion...I believe an true English dub of the series would be a great injustice since I'm used to hearing the Japanese voices. Funimation IMO did a horrible job with the Tsubasa Chronicles dubs, just the thought of the English voices ruins it for me (the possible exception would be the Second CCS movie, which the English dub was acceptable but then anything was better than the 'Cardcraptors' voices. UGH!)

Last thing...while I'd get the Aussie set purely from a collector's point, the DVD region code is different there than North America, am I correct?

Last edited:

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder
According to the information, I think the Australia set will contain the subtitled, uncut version. Nowhere is there a hint of an English dub.

That's why I said I'd be interested if it included the 69-episode dub. Especially since I don't have the patience to watch subtitled anime that much anymore.

Last thing...while I'd get the Aussie set purely from a collector's point, the DVD region code is different there than North America, am I correct?

Yes, unless they release it as region-free. Also, Australia is 50Hz, correct? If so, I'm pretty sure it won't play on US TVs unless there's something special about your setup. An automatically converting DVD player, maybe HDMI.

Hey, the Japanese blu-ray version was based on a remaster, right? I wonder if this new Madman set is based on the remaster or the old Geneon master.

Alpha Skyhawk

Windjammers Wonder

Pretty cool collection! All I've got is the CLAMP no Kiseki chess pieces. Sakura's front and center in front of my monitor, with Tomoyo right next to her. But the base of Sakura's chess piece has yellowed for some reason while none of my other white pieces have yellowed :( But it's okay. I still love my CLAMP girls :)

Is that Tsubasa and xxxHolic manga up on the top shelves? I just finished xxxHolic a couple weeks ago. Really good series.

Ami Tajiri

Over Top Auto Mechanic
As long as we're talking about CLAMP, has anyone else read their Jojo's Bizarre Adventure doujinshi? It's hilarious. (Picture tagged to save space.)

Spoiler:
JojosBizarreAdventureClampCLAMPINWONDERLAND1994Summer.jpg