Illogical(?) ebay seller

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
I know it's a weird thread title, but I think it's the best word for it-

I've been looking (not very hard) for a U.S. Batman and Robin The Arcade Game on Saturn for a while now at a decent price. One gets posted, looks okay in the pictures that are present but no pictures of the disc and the description flat out says "disc shows scratches." So yeah, that's a no-go, especially at a number what was above-market at the time.

Searched for the same game 6-8 weeks later. Same listing is there, but now the price is increased by $80. Uh-huh...

Tried searching it again yesterday, and the same listing is up another $140, to more than double its original listing price.

I'm honestly curious, am I missing something?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So people are watching "better" ones sell, which shrinks the available market. You just start raising your price, eventually yours will be one of the few that are for sale.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
I'ne noticed this as well; something I was looking at was listed for £90, the auction ended, and the item was relisted for £20 more.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I'ne noticed this as well; something I was looking at was listed for £90, the auction ended, and the item was relisted for £20 more.

This sounds a bit like how new home sales here are done: pre-buy a home before it's finished, then a few months or a year later move in. The pre-buy price is lower, then once all the homes are finished the price goes up quite a bit. It creates a kind of artificial panic ("I need to buy it now, if I don't buy it now then it'll just be more expensive in the future!") that results in people buying.

I'm sure there must be a term for this because it works (eventually, some idiot will break and purchase it, thus cementing it at a normal price if others follow suit).