iPhone 3G - Who's Taking the Plunge This Friday?

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
*Raises Hand*

Who else is in?

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
I will be buying the phone, I have waiting a long time for the 3G version to come out thats why I didn't buy the original since the network (EDGE) sucks for it.

I do have a question my father has a upgrade available and will I be able to get the phone cheaper with the upgrade or do you have to sign a 2 year agreement for it, I was told the upgrade qualifies but I am not sure. Anyone?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
For the price, Apple has made a nice phone. With no open-SIM and still a lackluster array of third-party support on the horizon... I'll pass. I still think Apple just doesn't "get" the whole mobile market at all. They are a fancy iPod first, and a phone a late second... I'm actually getting my Nokia e71 tomorrow and I'm psyched. Not that any of the iPhone clan would care, but... my God is it an amazing package for its size/thickness. Then again, it's a completely different segment of phone. Still, with the iPhone 3G available for $199, I think Apple has a solid budget phone on their hands that any carrier would die to have. Too bad they're being so stupid with their GSM rollout.

Bibliophile

, I liek DragonWarrior
I like the iPhone, but I don't know why some people feel the need to always buy something new the very first day it comes out.

If you wait a month or two, the price will probably dip.

P00t

Fuck eBay & PayPal,
They've been talking about a Pay As You Go version being available, so I'm gonna see what price they come up with for that one, people are asking way too much for the contract phones with PAYG sims here at the moment.

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
@Neo Geo MVS - The iPhone requires a two year contract no matter what, regardless of whether you are eligible for the upgrade price.

@nruva - You're right on the open SIM, though I doubt the phone is conducive to non-3G/EDGE data accessible areas and Steve Jobs wouldn't let anything out of his grip unless it worked perfectly everywhere. I have to disagree on the third party support, though, I've seen some tremendous work so far from Omni, TypePad, and EA. There will be some really cool Apps come Friday.

The iPhone is the only gadget I use all day everyday, and since it's pretty much integral to my livelihood I have no problems taking the plunge and getting the new one right away. I'll give mine to my dad.

Ancient Flounder

"Just walk away. Give me the pump...the oil...the
15 Year Member
I'm currently juggling back and forth on getting one or just flat-out getting a new Mac. My current comp is on its way out and my iPhone still works fine.

Still a little leary after having the iMac I purchased last October take a dump on me within a few days, though. Had to end up getting a refund. Hopefully Leopard has had a good deal of kinks worked out of it by now?

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
So will these phones finally be able to do something others have been doing for years... and have MMS? Or do I have to go to a fucking website and enter codes every time I want to see something still?

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
I'm mulling it over. I need a new phone, and I've had my eye on the Ericsson K850i for some time now, but with the price of the 3G iPhone, I might go that route instead.

The iPhone hasn't interested me up until this point b/c of lack of 3G support, but now with that and a lower price point, it's getting harder and harder to resist.

When will full GPS functionality on the iPhone be a reality? Should I be holding out?

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
damn I knew the upgrade wasn't good enough :mad:

I ain't paying the full price thats for sure.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I would buy an iPhone @ $199 if I could use my current service (T-Mobile), instead I'll look for a different phone!

Neo Geo MVS

Igniz's Servent
Okay I just check AT&T website and it says this :

What will I pay for iPhone 3G?
If you are upgrade eligible and your account is in good standing, you will pay $199 for 8GB (black) and $299 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required.

You have the option to purchase an early upgrade priced at $399 for 8GB (black) or $499 for 16GB (black or white). Two-year contract required. Coming soon, AT&T will offer a no-commitment option of $599 for 8GB and $699 for 16GB.

Check upgrade eligibility

Will I pay an upgrade fee?
Yes. You will pay an $18 upgrade fee.

So it seems I will be able to qualify for the upgrade deal or am I reading this wrong, I suppose the hitch is the two year contract agreement which is fine, I guess I will call At&t tomorrow to get it straight from them because one person says yes another says no I see on their website that its yes so we'll see.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm not trying to hijack Boriqua's thread here, but for those of you drooling over the idea of portable internet whereever you go but offput about the iPhone's plan prices, PM me or reply here and I'll start a thread about Sprint's SERO plan. Starts at $30/month with 500 anytime minutes, and all plans include unlimited data, text messages, picture messaging, night/weekend/Sprint calling, and a few other perks.

It's pretty well known online, but N-G seems in the dark about it.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
I would buy an iPhone @ $199 if I could use my current service (T-Mobile), instead I'll look for a different phone!

One of my friends has an iPhone and uses T-Mobile. Of course it's hacked, but I think Apple is fucking up by only allowing one provider to officially carry the phone.

They forget about people who really want an iPhone, but still have a year or more left on their existing contract. I doubt many people will buy out their contract, which can be big $$$, just to switch to a new provider to get a phone.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
One of my friends has an iPhone and uses T-Mobile. Of course it's hacked, but I think Apple is fucking up by only allowing one provider to officially carry the phone.

They forget about people who really want an iPhone, but still have a year or more left on their existing contract. I doubt many people will buy out their contract, which can be big $$$, just to switch to a new provider to get a phone.
They need the carrier to be with them in supporting the iPhone. The only willing partner was AT&T, and now that the iPhone is shaping up to be at least a mild success, they're already locked in with them and can't expand.

Apple would rather deliver a bland product that always works than a featureful one which needs tweaking.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
@Neo Geo MVS - The iPhone requires a two year contract no matter what, regardless of whether you are eligible for the upgrade price.

@nruva - You're right on the open SIM, though I doubt the phone is conducive to non-3G/EDGE data accessible areas and Steve Jobs wouldn't let anything out of his grip unless it worked perfectly everywhere. I have to disagree on the third party support, though, I've seen some tremendous work so far from Omni, TypePad, and EA. There will be some really cool Apps come Friday.

The iPhone is the only gadget I use all day everyday, and since it's pretty much integral to my livelihood I have no problems taking the plunge and getting the new one right away. I'll give mine to my dad.

This post is sponsored by Apple Inc.

aria

Former Moderator
Over the past several years I've learned exactly what I used a phone for, and the iPhone fits it all in spades. My friends who have them love them, and I waited until the 2nd generation came out so it would solve a few of the issues that sounded problematic. Besides, I have an old Pac Bell Wireless--turned--Cingular--turned--AT&T phone that I don't really use and will happily retire in favor of this one.

This version may just do gangbusters because various corporate IT departments are finally willing to work with it (due to internal pressure from executives who wanted them and the new features they've put in the latest model).

twalden

Leona's Therapist
20 Year Member
Pffft, I'm already camping in line right now, posting from my old dinosaur 2nd gen iPhone. Luckily there's a Starbucks next door so I can stay awake for this great milestone in my life.