is a SVC Chaos JAMMA board plug & play in a "Big Red" MVS cab?

Orpheus

One Nut,
20 Year Member
As the title states: does this thking work just like an MVS board w/ SVC Chaos cart set up would?
(meaning same pinout, button set up & shit)?

....or is it JAMMA proper and in need of alterations?

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
If your MVS board is a multislot (2-4-6-8 slots) then its not actually JAMMA, so you're going to need an adapter like Kidpanda says.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
what shadows and catbear said.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
May have the same button pinout, but the audio pins and likely the pin for game select will cause issues, unless SVC Chaos JAMMA is wired for stereo sound instead of mono.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
May have the same button pinout, but the audio pins and likely the pin for game select will cause issues, unless SVC Chaos JAMMA is wired for stereo sound instead of mono.

I dont think it would have stereo, it would have a 4 pin header somewhere on the PCB. Jamma does support 4 buttons per player on the harness itself. But as you said the audio pinout for the MVS would be wrong. Also, I might be wrong, but I'm sure the game select messes with a service or test switch on the Jamma harness as well.

Last edited:

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
I have the SVC manual as well as my big red's manual. I can compare the pin outs and give you a definitive answer when I get home. Off the top of my head I'm going to go with no.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
I used to have an SVC Chaos PCB and I'm pretty sure it's JAMMA+ standard. Don't see why it wouldn't work in your MVS cab. Pretty sure it doesn't need -5V.

From hardmvs site: http://www.hardmvs.com/html/MVSfaq.htm

Q: Can I plug other JAMMA PCBs into my dedicated MVS cab?
A: Maybe. The MVS wiring does not have a -5V line, so if your PCB requires -5V it won't work

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
Correction, with the exception of mono sound, lack of Coin lockouts, test sw, select up, & select down it seems to be consistent. You should be good.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
If you stick a mono board in a cabinet wired for stereo you will fry the audio portion of that board eventually. Not right away, but it will damage the board over time. If you want to play a SvC Chaos or any JAMMA PCB in a multislot MVS cabinet, head over to JAMMABoards.com and pickup up one of their adapters. I use one in my Neo candy cab and it works flawlessly.

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
If you stick a mono board in a cabinet wired for stereo you will fry the audio portion of that board eventually. Not right away, but it will damage the board over time. If you want to play a SvC Chaos or any JAMMA PCB in a multislot MVS cabinet, head over to JAMMABoards.com and pickup up one of their adapters. I use one in my Neo candy cab and it works flawlessly.

That's great info. Didn't know about the mono/stereo bit, I probably would have wired it up mono myself.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I had the SVC pcb board with my supergun and just plugged it in regular like how I would plug in a 1 slot and it worked with no issues.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I had the SVC pcb board with my supergun and just plugged it in regular like how I would plug in a 1 slot and it worked with no issues.

1 slot board is Jamma, no where near the same as a multislot.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Why take the risk? The converter boards are relatively cheap and can open up a whole slew of JAMMA boards for you to use in your MVS cab. Like I said before, it will work even if it is mono and you put it in a stereo wired cabinet. It will work, but it will also cause damage over time. If you want to safely run mono boards in an MVS cabinet, just use one of those converters. They're less than $30...

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
SVC Chaos is JAMMA or JAMMA+ if you want for the extra buttons, says so right on the board. JAMMA outputs amplified mono sound only at the edge.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Isnt it a stereo in header for JAMMA boards that have a stereo out header?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Isnt it a stereo in header for JAMMA boards that have a stereo out header?

Yes, exactly. If your JAMMA board supports standard 4-pin stereo through a separate connector, that board will allow you to run the JAMMA board in stereo on your MVS setup by moving a few jumpers and hooking up the JAMMA's stereo out right to the adapter's stereo in. Definitely nice to have.