Is there an impending price drop on the 3DS family of handhelds?

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
My local Fred Meyer's store had a special today. While once in a while they run a deal where they have a Savings Certificate where you can get $10.00 off of $50.00, $20.00 off of $100.00, and $30.00 off of $150.00 or greater (effectively bringing the cost of a 3DS XL down to $169.99), today they also had a deal going along with it where you got a $25.00 Fred Meyer's Gift Card with the purchase of any 3DS or 3DS XL system.

Usually they only do things like that when there is about to be a price drop, but it seems like an odd time of the year for it, with Black Friday only a couple of months off. Plus I didn't find any rumblings during my searches on the web for viable rumours.

Last edited:

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
When I got my XL, it was $160 new at Best Buy months ago. I'm kind of surprised it's jumped back up and stayed at $200 this long.

psychobear85

B. Jenet's Firstmate
When I got my XL, it was $160 new at Best Buy months ago. I'm kind of surprised it's jumped back up and stayed at $200 this long.

I saw the same thing but I didn't snag it up, with that price drop I figured it would have dropped again but it went back to 200.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
I haven't heard anything, but since I already have one, what I'm most interested in seeing is a price drop on the Vita. I'm currently putting money away for an Ouya and extra controller, but if the price of the Vita drops to reasonable levels, I'd probably get that instead.

Anyone on the fence about the 3DS should definitely pick one up if the price drops. It's been one of the best overall gaming purchases I've ever made. (The XL especially.)

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
There are a couple of really big 3DS games coming out soon with Pokemon and Legend of Zelda. I would not be surprised if a special edition 3DSXL or bundle comes out for either game which could lead to a price drop for a regular system. I have held out upgrading to an XL in anticipation of a Link Between Worlds edition one.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
There are a couple of really big 3DS games coming out soon with Pokemon and Legend of Zelda. I would not be surprised if a special edition 3DSXL or bundle comes out for either game which could lead to a price drop for a regular system. I have held out upgrading to an XL in anticipation of a Link Between Worlds edition one.

1.png

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student

They only recently got around to releasing the coveted "black/black" XL. I didn't mind the red/black (reminiscent of my old Virtual boy), but the hardware certainly looks more "grown-up" (heh) friendly in understated tones.

A Zelda, (or how about Metroid for a change?) theme would be great though!

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I very much doubt they will take a hit on the 3DS with how poorly the WiiU is selling. 3DS is selling better than any other dedicated gaming machine and their two biggest system sellers (Monster Hunter 4 in Japan and Pokemon X/Y worldwide, not to mention Zelda and Mario Party) are coming this Christmas. The WiiU is selling at a loss per unit still and Wii and DS are essentially dead. 3DS has got to make up the difference.

I would bet on a midsummer release of a redesigned unit next year. The 3DS will be in the beginning of its fourth year on the market by then and for Nintendo that's an awfully long time to go without revamping their handheld.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
The 3DS is selling really well. I don't see an official price drop anytime soon. I would predict something like $40 off on Black Friday, or a some kind of bundle deal with digital games built in.