It's Thinking! - 15 years of Sega Dreamcast 9/9/14

Cornerb0y

Krauser's Henchman
I love Dreamcast. I own 3, I got a BBA for $20 last year and I also picked up Shenmue II as well. I got the Tomee VGA cables, and they work very well with the console. I was also one of the lucky few to get a copy of the LLE of SLaVE. Can't wait for the release in April!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Maybe things on that Dreamcast video are known to most aficionados, but... Dreamcast novices (like myself) might learn a thing or two.
It was entertaining, and I got to know a few new things. The guy could talk a little slower though :keke:

Stellarola

Fio's Quartermaster
15 Year Member
I won't be saying anything anyone else hasn't said before me. The Dreamcast is an absolutely kick-ass system!

The first time I played a Dreamcast was at Electronic Boutique, before it was EB Games. My friend Shane, who used to work there had imported a JP Dreamcast and had both Sonic Adventure and Powerstone running at the store. It was setup on a small 13" TV, most likely via composite video. Nonetheless, the thing blew my ****ing mind! The jump from PS1 graphics to Dreamcast graphics was so huge, I couldn't believe my eyes while running through Sonic Adventure.

Then the wait began until 9/9/99. My day one games were Sonic Adventure, NFL2k, and Soul Calibur.

The soul still burns...

I'm sure some of you have seen this episode of 'Icons' on G4TV, but for those who haven't...

Part 1

Part2

Much love for Sega's last console. I still wonder how it would have turned out if Sega had built-in a DVD player in the first place...

NeoEsZ

Camel Slug,
20 Year Member
Lots of misfires, but games were spot on. Really the Dreamcast could have used MORE of everything, but what it did have still beats out the best of 'em.

Project Justice through the VGA tonight.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
My brothers and I got our first Dreamcast for free.

I distinctly remember the three of us staring at a Dreamcast display in mid 1999. We were in a Blockbuster (lol) with our dad, and all three of us were staring at the killer whale scene from the first level of Sonic Adventure with our jaws on the floor.

Flash forward to October 2000. Our buddy, whose dad would only let him have one game console at a time for whatever reason, was getting a PS2.

So his dad just gave us the Dreamcast he'd gotten his son the Christmas before.

It was amazing. I don't think there was a single day we didn't play that Dreamcast at least once until about 2004, when the DS came out. I was the youngest brother, so I sort of inherited it when my older brothers moved out. But later I got a black SEGA Sports Dreamcast, and gave our childhood one to my oldest brother. He still has it.

omegasit

Crossed Swords Squire
Got my DC on launch with Powerstone, NFL, Sonic, Soul Calibur and Ready to Rumble. Also grabbed an Agetec fight stick. Playing multiplayer Powerstone and Soul Calibur was an absolute blast. I never had that much fun on a system launch, and probably never will again.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Dreamcasting 4LF!!! I was just playing some Gunlord on VGA CRT, so dreamy!

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Have a lot of fond memories of the DC. Was the first console I imported at launch. Spent thousands of hours playing various arcade ports (KoF 98 -02, Soul Calibur, Marvel 2, CvS2, 3rd Strike, etc.) and burnt out 3 lasers over the course of 5/6 years.

Looking back, there's a lot of games that were more weird and quirky than they were actually good but that whole era where people were still trying to figure out where to go with 3D gaming led to some cool experiments as well as a lot of spectacular failures. I just enjoyed that the DC was home to a ton of great fighting games, shmups and weird Japanese shit.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Dreamcasting 4LF!!! I was just playing some Gunlord on VGA CRT, so dreamy!

Hey dude, have you beat it? I always get repeatedly killed by the last boss (usually have 10 lives, starting the level) and at this point can't really muster enough drive to go all the way through the game for another chance.

Pro-tips?

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I was also one of the lucky few to get a copy of the LLE of SLaVE. Can't wait for the release in April!

Thanks for the reminder on this one. I remember reading about it a while ago and hadn't thought about it since. After watching the trailer, I figured I'd give it a shot. I just put my preorder in for the LE edition of the game.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I still bust out my Dreamcast for some Fire Pro Wrestling D!!!
Finally a good sincere post from you, excellent choice.

Hey dude, have you beat it? I always get repeatedly killed by the last boss (usually have 10 lives, starting the level) and at this point can't really muster enough drive to go all the way through the game for another chance.

Pro-tips?
Patience, go for the quickest route if you're aiming for beating the game with no exploration, or get familiar with one stage completely before going into the next, either way you play you gotta be patient. I haven't beat the game in one run yet but I'll get there.

Watch Mendel's Gunlord vid.
Yeah mendel is a beast, I used this video plenty of times.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
I got my Dreamcast at the midnight launch at Electronics Boutique here in the UK, first and only time I have done this. I was only just 16 at the time and still in school so had to save up money from my weekend job. The Dreamcast was literally the only thing I could think about for about 6 months leading up to the launch, I was obsessed.

It didn't disappoint and it's still one of my favourite consoles to this day. I love that games are still being released to this day, Gunlord and Sturmwind are both excellent.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I remember bringing the DC to the dorms for the first time. Everyone's head almost exploded when they saw Soul Calibur. Their response: "It's pretty loud . . . but it has to be to make those insane graphics!" My best friend from high school literally dropped out of college due to playing Phantasy Star Online non-stop. I actually met one of my best friends online on DC PSO. I ended up marrying his sister who is now my ex-wife. The Dreamcast giveth and the Dreamcast taketh away.

Last edited:

Ssturtle

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I remember going before school on 9/9/99 to get my Dreamcast from Toys R Us, got the console, extra controllers, VMU's, Sonic, Hydro Thunder and MK Gold.
Great system that I still play monthly. System looks great with the VGA box and the fact my plasma has a VGA input is great. Still one of my favorite disc based systems.
Between the fighting games, house of the dead 2, an so many more I could play the system daily. Hoping someday I can find all the US games to complete my set.

PublicEnemy

Cheng's Errand Boy
The Dreamcast was an all around great system for all the arcade games that were put on the system.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
While the situation of the divorce isn't funny, that line made me chuckle.

No worries. The divorce was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was fishing for a laugh there. Kinda funny how things like that all come together from a few small events. A lot of life changing events involving an awesome system. It was a game changer more than I could have ever known.

lord7289

n00b
Still have the Dreamcast I bought some 15 years ago and its connected up to my PC monitor through VGA which adds a whole new lease of life to some games. Daytona USA 2001 is my favourite game on the system and my lad loves Marvel vs Capcom (it includes Spiderman and Hulk so that was always going to capture his attention). Not sure if many people know about Iron Aces but I played that to death!

Azra113

Street Hoop Star
10 Year Member
Grandia 2, Sword of the Berserk and Evolution.

Good times

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Wasn't there an import pinball game for the DC? Pro Pinball maybe.

I remember the old MN gatherings had lots of typing of the dead. If only I could get people to play Power Stone 2 and Sonic Shuffle....