Jamma Genesis

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Hey guys,

I know this has been done before and I'm not treading any new water, but I thought there was some lacking information or a guide in which to make this, at least from an english standpoint. Alot of the guides I saw needed to be translated. This guide was done using a Genesis Model 2. I plan on adding pics of the Model 1 in the coming weeks.

So here we go. I'll be editing this and adding more pictures and steps so if anyone has questions please PM me or I'll try to answer them here.

Step 1
-----------
Disassemble your Genesis.
-This should be self explanatory as there's no hidden screws.

Step 2
------------
Identify your video encoder. The reason I say this is because some guides have you removing the a/v connector from the motherboard and soldering wires to the pinholes of where the A/V connector is. I did this initially but found the video output was too dark so I soldered wires directly to the pins on the video encoder. I can't speak from experience but perhaps this may negate the need for using an RGB amp. It seemed to make a significant difference for me.

To identify your video encoder. Here is a good link for the identifying which encoder you might have based on which sub-model you have.

Sega-16.com Identify Genesis Model.

You should be able to google and find the pinout for your video encoder. My Genesis 2 model had a Sony CXA1145 encoder, which is a good one and hence why I choose to use particular Genesis for mod.

Step 3
--------------
This is where you can start getting your hands dirty and begin soldering wires to the R,G,B, Sync, Video Ground pins on your video encoder. Obviously this will vary depending on your video encoder. I found that if I just ran a generic ground from somewhere on the genesis motherboard to Jamma pin (14) there were issues with a stable picture. As you can see in the picture below. I pulled R,G,B,Sync, Ground from the video encoder. Just to clarify, I pulled the sync from the "sync in" pin of the video encoder.

IMG_0699.jpg

Here's a table of where your wires on the video encoder should go to corresponding Jamma Pins.

Video Encoder - | - Jamma Pin
-------------------------------------------
Red -> (12)
Blue -> (13)
Green -> (N)
Sync -> ( P )
Ground (14)

Before proceeding any further, I tested the video output on the genesis with my arcade monitor. I did this as a means of keeping my troubleshooting to particular step rather than doing all the work and wondering where I could have made a mistake. Since we haven't tackled powering the genesis from the cabinet's power supply yet, you will need to have a genesis power supply with you.

Step 4
---------------
Alright now its time to tackle powering this beast with your cabinet's power supply. This is where my guide will vary from other guides I've seen out on the net. Some guides have you creating small circuits to drop the voltage from the 12v rail to get it down to the 10v the Genesis normally gets via a wall adapter. The Genesis 2 actually operates off 5v natively, so we got this in bag. The way you go about powering the Genesis is to locate the following IC on your motherboard. Genesis 2's only have one and it will be located within a heatsink. If you look at the printing on the motherboard, you will see markings for I,G,O. This stands for input, ground, output. You simply need to take a wire from any of the Jamma 5v pins (3,4,C,D) and connect it to the pinhole on the voltage regulator circuits "O". See the picture below for an example.

IMG_0702.jpg

Now lets take a moment and test our work again. You won't need your wall adapter anymore so let's push that aside. Connect your Genesis with the jamma fingerboard into your cabinet and turn your cabinet on. If everything is good, you should see your Genesis come to life and display on your monitor.

IMG_0706.jpg

Step 5
---------------
So if everything has gone well to this point, you are ready to tackle wiring in the controls. Before we tackle the wiring you will need to prep the controller pcb's. Not all controllers are built the same but the few I've disassembled have a thin coating over the pads and traces. Use an exacto knife to lightly scrape away the material and you should see the gold contacts. As seen in the picture below.

IMG_0695.jpg

Also, I mounted some double sided tape to the back of the controller pcb's to stick them to the underside of the Genesis motherboard. I used the same idea for mounting the jamma fingerboard to motherboard as well.

IMG_0696.jpg

Now some quick bits of information regarding wiring up the controls. For the most part all genesis controllers tend to be wired the same. The Genesis's controller port is a DB9 (9 Pins). On the controller, you will see the 9 wires coming from the controller plug tie into the controller pcb.

photo2.jpg

The holes on the pcb will be labeled 1,2,3…etc. These wires correspond to the pin on the Genesis's motherboard controller port.

The pinout for the genesis controller port is as follows.

GenesisControllerPinoutcopy.jpg

You can choose to remove the controller ports from the system if you wish or you can leave them in and solder wires to the pin legs on the controller ports. I choose to remove the controller ports. When you go to solder wires from the controller pcb to the controller ports simply match up the numbered holes with the proper controller port pin. The solder pads for the controller ports are on the underside of the motherboard so remember the pinout will be flipped.

IMG_0698.jpg

To conclude the wiring of the controllers, you will need to solder wires to directions and buttons to the corresponding Jamma pins on your Jamma fingerboard.

Genesis Button --> Jamma Pin
-------------------------------------------
Player 1
--------------
Up -> (18)
Down -> (19)
Left -> (20)
Right -> (21)
A -> (22)
B -> (23)
C -> (24)
Start -> (17)

Player 2
---------------
Up -> (V)
Down -> (W)
Left -> (X)
Right -> (Y)
A -> (Z)
B -> (a)
C -> (b)
Start -> (U)

Once you're finished with wiring up the controls to the jamma fingerboard. You should have something resembling the picture below. *You soldering skills might be neater than mine* :D

IMG_0708.jpg

Again, I would suggest stopping and testing your controls before proceeding with putting the Genesis back together.

Step 6
---------------------
Reassemble your Genesis. Enjoy! Here are some pics of some RGB Genesis Goodness.

IMG_0709.jpg

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
Awesome ! 15K RGB genesis action, man I'd like to see that in person :D

damn if only the segaCD edge connector would have used wider contacts, you could have re purposed them !

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
awesome stuff

i picked up a beaten up genesis model 2 from a thrift store yesterday for cheap . Now i have a use for it =)

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
Bookmarked! Thanks for the instructions!

I have a genesis2 as well as a genesis1 and I'm sure the walk through is different for a genesis1. I'll see what I can find for that, but this is great!

leonk

Marked Wolf
awesome!

here's a suggestion on "improving" the aesthetics of the hack. For the 9 wires going between the pads and system, it's easier/cleaner to use a ribbon cable rather than independent wires (e.g. IDE cable, floppy drive cable, etc).

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
been working on this today. Video and power is working nicely. One question though..where to i pull sound from and attach to the fingerboard?

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Ah shit, Revision coming in shortly. I pulled the sound from the A/V connector. If you look in the first pic I have posted, in the top left corner of that pic you will see a red wire. I pulled the sound from there. So the wire from there will go to Jamma Pin (10). For the sound's ground wire. I simply ran a jumper wire from Jamma Pin (B) to Jamma Pin (L). Any of the jamma grounds will work.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
got it..thank you =)

i have it all up and running now! (well i just need to wire 2p up)

what an awesome project this is. It took 2 hours from start to finish to get working. Now i have Genesis running in my blast city =)

9a6R6l.jpg

7TpbWl.jpg

jepjepjep

King's Dry Cleaner
That's really awesome. I have a question about the video. Doesn't the genesis output lower voltages on the RGB lines compared to a Jamma board? Did you have to do a lot of tweaking to the brightness/contrast?

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
i havent tweaked anything just yet. The RGB could do with a small boost but the CRT in my cab does fine with accommodating it

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
got it all finished up tonight. Just need to get it back in its original case.

Heres a vid of how it looks on my cab

Ninjatemper

King's Dry Cleaner
My video encoder chip in my model 2 Genesis has no label on it. Would it be wise to buy a Sony CXA1645M and replace the unknown one with it or just try the mod regardless?

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
There's a link in the first part of the guide that shows how to identify which model revision you have and generally and pinpoint it to one or two encoders.

lions3

Igniz's Servent
you guys are killing me. I might have to check the bay for a cheap genesis2. I just can't bring myself to mod the genesis1 I was given as a kid. lol

Ninjatemper

King's Dry Cleaner
I completed this Jamma Genesis mod and it works great on my supergun. When I try to plug it into my Blast City however, I'm not getting power. The red light isn't coming on at all. Any ideas as to why?

defor

Geese's Thug
I've heard that the audio on the first 2 runs of G1 (HD graphics w/segmented circle and the more commonly-known HD graphics variant) is best pulled off the headphone jack. any thoughts on this?

also, is an external amp necessary to bring the line-out levels up to jamma levels?

also, is there anything worth running on 32x/scd that would play well in a cab? I ask because the small formfactor of the g3 makes it an attractive system to convert for jamma.

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
I completed this Jamma Genesis mod and it works great on my supergun. When I try to plug it into my Blast City however, I'm not getting power. The red light isn't coming on at all. Any ideas as to why?

i took ground from the 'G' pin on the Genesis motherboard from the I,G,O pins wired it to one of the grounds on the fingerboard (i used pin '2'). That worked for me

Ninjatemper

King's Dry Cleaner
i took ground from the 'G' pin on the Genesis motherboard from the I,G,O pins wired it to one of the grounds on the fingerboard (i used pin '2'). That worked for me

Thanks Lantus! Makes sense. I'll give that a whirl tonight. Should've thought of that myself though!

Ninjatemper

King's Dry Cleaner
Worked perfectly Lantus. Was playing some Eliminate Down on my Blast last night. Awesome!

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
awesome stuff Ninja!

i've been switching between Zombies ate my Neighbors and Truxton =)

An Everdrive MD cart would be great for this. I should look into that hehe

everyone should do this mod imo..its just win all around

defor

Geese's Thug
I was wondering when someone was going to point this out....,.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yeah you don't have to sac controllers but you can't just run out to radio shack and get all the parts needed. Plus when you factor in the cost of perf board, shipping. You're at the cost of a controller. Most people have a couple of controllers laying around. The world isn't going to run out of genesis controllers cause of a few people making jamma genesis's.

I've never understood how people flip out when a controller is sacrificed.