Jamma Genesis

defor

Geese's Thug
fair enough... so I keep meaning to ask, but is there something wrong with the builtin rgb that is output by the gen for the use of the 32x?

If it's a matter of dirty sync, a simple lm1881+74-series logic should be able to clean this right up, no?

not that I have anything for genesis systems themselves, but a simple external cable solution to card edge seems like it would suffice?

lantus360

Fu'un-Ken Master
bumping a semi-old thread

i JAMMA'd another Genesis 2 last night. This one had the KA2195D Video Encoder chip which is known to be the worst chip to have inside a genesis/megadrive. I rolled the dice and wired up RGB to the Fingerboard and my finding is - it looks great!

I cant tell any difference at all between this and the Sony encoders. If anything the brightness on this encoder looks better but it could be my eyes

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
thanks for the update! I've been thinking of modding one of my gennys and you just confirmed my hopes!

Lemony Vengeance

I know this is a NECRO bump, but for the sake of information sharing, I'm bringing this back to the forefront!

I've been making a few JAMMA Gennys lately and have found some interesting things.

1) The CXA1145P Video encoder is great, but if you have an MS9, you wont' get a stable sync from it. You need to make a LM1881 Sync separator circuit:

circuit1.gif

Pull Composite video from pin 20 of the CXA1145P and you're good to go!

2) Speaking of video, IF you're pulling directly from the encoder and yours is dim (and it likely will be) you need to pull it from somewhere before the encoder is brought into the mix. This is due to most TVs not accepting voltage over .7v. anything more and it has been known to cause damage. Because the genesis has 1v RGB video, sega threw some resistors into the video circuit to bring it down from 1v to.7v. It's easy enough to get that 1v Video though! Grab it before the resistors get it! Genesis 1's have a few different lay outs:

Genesis1:

this is if it's a smaller CXA1145P, the one with surface mount soldering.
Top of the board:
vvwyjkU.jpg

Here's the Larger CXA1145P, the one that is through-hole soldered (Typically found in the HD Genny 1):
Bottom of the board:
View attachment 5197

I haven't worked with enough of the Genny 2s so if anyone has any info or pics on that, it would be greatly appreciated.

MANY, MANY thanks go out to 68k for sharing this info with me, as well as Coryoon for the headache he went through!

3) While you're in the GUTS of the Genesis, you may as well throw a region select and refresh rate switch in there:
Genesis1: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md1switches.htm
Genesis2: http://www.mmmonkey.co.uk/console/sega/md2switches.htm

Here's a link that will allow you to do the two mods with a single switch!
http://mdpal60.net/regionmod
3) CONTROLS!
I've spent some time looking into the way the controllers are laid out and realized that if you're feeling lucky, you can cut the controller down and solder the contacts directly to the IC on the PCB. Also, don't be a cheap bastard. You definitely pay for what you get when you cheap out and get the crappy $3 6 button pads. :/ Pony up the cash for OFFICIAL CONTROLLERS! All documentation regarding controllers from here on out will be for the OFFICIAL stuff :D

*IC pinout for the 3 button Genny pad

For the chips pin connections:

Pin 1 Line 7 (select)
Pin 2 Ground (1A)
Pin 3 Left (1B)
Pin 4 Line 3 (1Y)
Pin 5 Ground (2A)
Pin 6 Right (2B)
Pin 7 Line 4 (2Y)
Pin 8 Ground (GND)
Pin 9 Line 6 (3Y)
Pin 10 Button B (3B)
Pin 11 Button A (3A)
Pin 12 Line 9 (4Y)
Pin 13 Button C (4B)
Pin 14 Start (4A)
Pin 15 Ground (G)
Pin 16 +5V (Vcc)

The IC should be labeled with a #1 near pin 1.

*IC pinout for the 6 button genny pad

800px-315-5638_pinout.png

I have used floppy ribbon cable to solder to the IC on the controller, then plopped some hot glue to secure the wires, preventing them from being pulled off. Here's what it looks like before the cuts happened:

WP_20130817_003_zps5322cdee.jpg

And here's what it looked like after the cuts and after relocating the controller cable wires, side by side:

WP_20130817_004_zpsf706fd84.jpg

NOTE: Due to the CAP on the controller PCB, you will need to link the ground on the top of the PCB to the Ground area on the bottom of the PCB. Is it necessary to do this?

tumblr_lzaj80rLTX1qzkxjuo1_500.gif

Cutting them down is nice because:

Activities3.jpg

*The Connector plug numbers are determined as follows, looking straight at the plug on the front of the Genesis the numbers are:
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9

Typically, All genny controllers use the same color wires for each pin (YAY FOR CONSISTENCY!), but your mileage may vary:

Pin 1: Brown
Pin 2: Red
Pin 3: Orange
Pin 4: Yellow
Pin 5: Green
Pin 6: Blue
Pin 7: Gray
Pin 8: Black
Pin 9: White

If you're having difficulty figuring out which wire is which, look at the front of the controller PCB where the wires are soldered onto and follow this guide

Pins:
8-1-2-5-3-4-7-6-9

Make sure you give yourself enough slack when cutting the cables so they're not pulling contacts off the board.

Once the chopped PCB is connected to the edge and the controller ports, Use some double sided foam tape to secure that PCB to the motherboard.

4) POWER!

As MR_B stated before, the genesis uses 5V power, which is stepped down from 9-10V from the power adapter by an IC (2 if it's a Genesis1). Since you're going to be modding this and never again will be connected to a normal power supply or TV, you can pull these out and connect the In and Out through holes with a bit of wire, as seen in a few of the above pics. Connect the 5V from the JAMMA edge to the wire for the AC socket (Red on a Genesis1, not sure if there is a wire on a genny2), and Ground (white wire on the Genny1) and the power switch will work as it should.

Also, just so everyone knows, sending power to the O pin of the power regulator may work but it bypasses the power button/switch. the best way to do it is to run it directly to the AC plug on the motherboard and run a wire linking the I and O portion of the power regulator, like you can see in previous pics. this way you can power on and off while the cab is on to swap games :D

5) JAMMA PCB placement

On the Genesis1's, I like to use the place closest to the power socket on the left hand side where the Heat sync and transformers are (or WERE, once you pull them). I find that PCB feet actually give it the right height to make it as sleek and dremmel-free as possible. You will need to drill holes for the screws the PCB feet uses though. Where you put them is really up to your discretion. Here's the way I've laid them out in the past:

temporary_zps42d9adf2.jpg

It has a CPS2 kick harness (that's what the white thing below it is) as this Genny has two 6 button pads in it :D. If you look carefully, you can see that I pulled the stock power step down thingies and bridged the I and O pins Just to the Right of the JAMMA PCB.

AAAAnd.. I think that's it. This link from Sega-16 is a good, all-in-one instruction for some basic mods. It covers what I didn't:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?16854-Guide-How-To-Modify-A-Model-1-Sega-Genesis-(with-pics!)-56k-Unfriendly!

if you have any questions, lemme know!
I'll be putting together an instruction for a JAMMA SNES as soon as I can get parts :D

Last edited:

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
Yeah, thanks for the info! A JAMMA genny is a project I plan to take on somewhat soonish. I also want to do a JAMMA SNES, but there's very little info out there on them.

NERDtendo

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
I have been contemplating doing a couple of JAMMA console mods. Thanks Lemony for the tips.

Lemony Vengeance

Hey hey, all!

Just added some more pics to the post above to better illustrate what can be done to the controllers :D

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
gennyrgb_zpsbbc1cf13.png

Can someone tell me which color is which when Im tapping? Its great we show where to tap from, but where the hell is each color at?
And what pin do I pull sync from?

Last edited:

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
From top to bottom RGB and tap it on the right side of the resistors, the other side is tied to 5v.
Take the sync from the encoder.

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
So.....considering the forums were down last night I finally got around to making one of these. Took me a bit as I had to dig around seeing as the thread was unavailable.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378333105.179838.jpg

Also wired it for stereo, seeing as the Blast City accepts such things :D

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378333154.930407.jpg

Thanks again guys for all the help! It was a fun project and I want to do a couple more now!!!!!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Very nice, so I put a Space Harrier 2 cart in my genny and it will play as a SOR2? The picture looks beautiful on that cab. Nice job.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
So.....considering the forums were down last night I finally got around to making one of these. Took me a bit as I had to dig around seeing as the thread was unavailable.
View attachment 6741

Also wired it for stereo, seeing as the Blast City accepts such things :D

View attachment 6742

Thanks again guys for all the help! It was a fun project and I want to do a couple more now!!!!!

I wanna hear the stereo thumpin' like you described earlier today. :D

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Very nice, so I put a Space Harrier 2 cart in my genny and it will play as a SOR2? The picture looks beautiful on that cab. Nice job.

Oh, I made conversion. It's ok, I won't sell here. :kekeke:

On a serious note, I did have to crank the crap out of the colors and brightness to get a bright picture on the Blast City. The other two cabs looked fine, any ideas? I grabbed RGB and Sync from the encoder chip which was NOT a Sony chip btw.
I've got a couple more genny's coming so we will see how those turn out.

Also want to add. for guys that want to pull stereo from a Model 2 genny. I found a pic of the bottom of the AV port that was labeled. If you have a cab with a stereo amp in it I highly recommend pulling stereo off as well. ;)
megadr11.gif

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Oh, I made conversion. It's ok, I won't sell here. :kekeke:

On a serious note, I did have to crank the crap out of the colors and brightness to get a bright picture on the Blast City. The other two cabs looked fine, any ideas? I grabbed RGB and Sync from the encoder chip which was NOT a Sony chip btw.

I'm not sure about the non-sony encoders. the RGB is resisted BEFORE it hits the encoder though, so you would need to pull it as soon as it comes off whatever IC is in the Genny 2's. Codecrank and I discussed it a few months ago. I'll take a look at the schematic for the Genesis/MD2 and let you know where you need to pull it. What RGB encoder is it specifically?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'm not sure about the non-sony encoders. the RGB is resisted BEFORE it hits the encoder though, so you would need to pull it as soon as it comes off whatever IC is in the Genny 2's. Codecrank and I discussed it a few months ago. I'll take a look at the schematic for the Genesis/MD2 and let you know where you need to pull it. What RGB encoder is it specifically?

Looks like I have a Samsung KA2195D..... which looks like the crappiest encoder out there, so that might be part of the problem.

Taken from Sega-16
...Personal tests on my TV yielded generally very poor picture quality with all but one Genesis Model 2 with the Samsung KA2195D as its video encoder. On the TV I personally use, the graphics are generally heavily pixellated and sometimes have dull colors. Some consoles, on the other hand, can have not so bad video off the KA2195D. It's still pixellated, yes, but not as bad. The real problem with the KA2195D is that it adds in thin vertical bars of a darker shade than whatever's on the screen.....

Lemony Vengeance

Looks like I have a Samsung KA2195D..... which looks like the crappiest encoder out there, so that might be part of the problem.

doubt it. the guys at sega 16 are hipster douches that would never do what we do to their precious consoles. While the encoder may not be as good as the sony chip, it does the job. I have one as well I'll crack open and look at.

also, just so everyone knows, sending power to the O pin of the power regulator may work but it bypasses the power button/switch. the best way to do it is to run it directly to the AC plug on the mother board and run a wire linking the I and O portion of the power regulator. this way you can power on and off while the cab is on to swap games :D

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
bumping a semi-old thread

i JAMMA'd another Genesis 2 last night. This one had the KA2195D Video Encoder chip which is known to be the worst chip to have inside a genesis/megadrive. I rolled the dice and wired up RGB to the Fingerboard and my finding is - it looks great!
I cant tell any difference at all between this and the Sony encoders. If anything the brightness on this encoder looks better but it could be my eyes

Well after messing with jamma genny, I moved the RGB lines off of the encoder to some resistors that were before they went into it. Got blurry composite looking video from it. I'm trying to trace where the RGB lines go before they hit the resistors. At the back of the encoder I'm getting like 1.9v, but at the resistors (where I get blurry output), I get 2.1v. Any ideas of where I could grab from? This is a model 2 btw.

Last edited:

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
A quick newb question on this, is it possible to play SMS carts using the SMS to Genny adapter/converter? I wasn't sure if the output of the genny changed with the converter or not.

Lemony Vengeance

It should be possible.

Hey, didn't you want me to make you one then not get back to me? :P

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The SMS games work fine. The SMS uses the Z80 in the genesis as that was the main processor in the SMS. Kinda of a side effect of them using it akin to Sony having DVD player capability in the PS2 from them using a DVD drive.

Nerdygrrl

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It should be possible.

Hey, didn't you want me to make you one then not get back to me? :P

Yeah, shit got hectic and then I ended up getting rid of my candy cabs. I just picked up a Super 29. So I was thinking about getting a Genny Jamma for it when I get it up ad running. Being able to play SMS games on it would be a double bonus.

The SMS games work fine. The SMS uses the Z80 in the genesis as that was the main processor in the SMS. Kinda of a side effect of them using it akin to Sony having DVD player capability in the PS2 from them using a DVD drive.

Thanks, this is very exciting news. I would love to be able to play Fantasy Zone on the arcade.

Lemony Vengeance

Most games work with the Genny controllers but There is a mod that will need to be done to the controllers that allow for use on the SMS for a handful of games. It can be enabled and disabled by using a switch.