JAMMAfying another console, having video issues - This time, the JAMMA SNES!

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
The 75 ohm resistors are needed in the snes jr to add the missing RGB circuit. If you have the original SNES, all you need is the caps.

Don't you control color and brightness using remote board on arcade monitor?

the pics I posted are with color, brightness and contrast cranked all the way up on the monitor. An amp of some type is needed.

Also, the whole point of this project is to get the SNES working in a cabinet without an adapter in the middle, making it 100% plug and play.

Keep me updated, shadows.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
Tried with some NJM2267 and it looked quite good I think. Ill reset it up so I can take pictures at the same time.

leonk

Marked Wolf
the pics I posted are with color, brightness and contrast cranked all the way up on the monitor. An amp of some type is needed.

Also, the whole point of this project is to get the SNES working in a cabinet without an adapter in the middle, making it 100% plug and play.

Keep me updated, shadows.

The adapter might be required. You can use it for multiple consoles. It's no different than an adapter (like JPAC) that's required to hookup a PC to an arcade machine.

I think what you're trying to do is modify your SNES so it will work on an arcade monitor, but in the process, it will ONLY work on an arcade monitor. It won't work on a standard TV. Isn't that basically building the "adapter" into the SNES?

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
He wants it to be a clean Plug-n-play solution, without add-ons to gum up the works.
You're right, it makes it only cabinet usable. But that's the point.

I'm watching this thread, looking forward to a how-to write-up when you smarties figure out what's up with these issues. :)

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
He wants it to be a clean Plug-n-play solution, without add-ons to gum up the works.
You're right, it makes it only cabinet usable. But that's the point.

I'm watching this thread, looking forward to a how-to write-up when you smarties figure out what's up with these issues. :)

This.

Although it could be made so that it could still be used on a regular tv.

Lemony Vengeance

It could.. I'd need to see what the acceptable input voltage would be for that internal transformer.. max would be 12v if we were to leave it in (obviously).

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
You mean the voltage regulator, its a 7805, 12v wont be a problem for it.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
No go for now. I need to play some more with it. Some details are getting washed out on some graphics, with the way its setup right now.

pulstar

Mickey's Coach
10 Year Member
That looks pretty cool. Good work. Looking forward to a write-up/how-to.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Glad you finally got it working right. What's different about Broken's amp? I remember you trying the same amp before saying it didn't work.

Lemony Vengeance

Glad you finally got it working right. What's different about Broken's amp? I remember you trying the same amp before saying it didn't work.

Resistors and caps BEFORE the IC. Here's the circuit:

qB71l.png

Last edited:

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
I believe leonk is right... I have a SNES classic (CHIP1) console with nothing but the 220uf caps on the R/G/B lines only. Its a little brighter than my RGB Saturn (with nothing whatsoever), but nothing compared with the near blinding levels of the Genesis (definitely needs a 75ohm minimum, I'm actually using 100ohm currently). I admittedly don't know shit about amplifiers... But if the issue is a dim picture, why would you ever use resistors on the R/G/B lines at all?

Lemony Vengeance

I believe leonk is right... I have a SNES classic (CHIP1) console with nothing but the 220uf caps on the R/G/B lines only. Its a little brighter than my RGB Saturn (with nothing whatsoever), but nothing compared with the near blinding levels of the Genesis (definitely needs a 75ohm minimum, I'm actually using 100ohm currently). I admittedly don't know shit about amplifiers... But if the issue is a dim picture, why would you ever use resistors on the R/G/B lines at all?

Because arcade monitors are different than standard PVMs. That's the whole point of the thread.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
AWESOME. I await the full guide...I've been waiting for a time to finally try out Robotrek...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I always wanted to make a JAMMA SNES. From your experience is that the best place for the JAMMA edge?

Lemony Vengeance

I always wanted to make a JAMMA SNES. From your experience is that the best place for the JAMMA edge?

It has the most space not only for the type of edge I use (I get mine from Jammaboards.com. model JB-2), but the components as well. Mine doesn't have the massive sound processing unit in it so there's plenty of room for other things (video amp and controllers).

the controllers don't really need to be cut down, but I plan on doing it anyway to save on space.

Xavier

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
20 Year Member
Wheres the full write up?