Jibba is retarded. (Was: WTB: Japanese Saturn console)

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Just looking for the console itself, obviously in good working order. Most of my Saturn games are Japanese, but all I have is a US Saturn and I'm tired of fucking around with the Action Replay cart.

I don't really care if it's grey or white. Not looking to pay the extra $$$ for something fancy like a skeleton Saturn.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Have you considered a pseudosaturn cart? Just curious. Either way good luck on your hunt.

(btw if you're a cheap bastard you could just change the soldered jumpers on the mother board of your us saturn to JP)

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Rating - 100%
325   0   0
You're literally one jumper away from owning a japanese Saturn bro.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
You're literally one jumper away from owning a japanese Saturn bro.

I installed a region switch in my Saturn and it literally does nothing. Re-checked multiple times to make sure that it is properly installed. I can play US games with the switch in either position, and can play Japanese games never.

Edit: I'll take a pic of what I did and post it in tech support, just for shits n giggles.

Last edited:

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Have you considered a pseudosaturn cart? Just curious. Either way good luck on your hunt.

(btw if you're a cheap bastard you could just change the soldered jumpers on the mother board of your us saturn to JP)

I thought about turning my AR cart into a PseudoSaturn, but I'd prefer to just not have to deal with the cart anymore.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
There is also a region free bios you can install, just costs a few bucks.

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I have one of the 4-in-1 carts in my us Saturn - it saves and let's me play my JP games.

All I have to do is press start twice to bypass the AR menu.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Turns out that I'm a fucken retard and had the switch wired up wrong even though I "checked" it several times. I'm guessing that I was drinking that night. Works fine now, so obviously no need for a saturn anymore. I will look into turning my AR cart into a Pseudowhatever (so that I can play burns.)

Thanks guys!

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Glad you got it working bro.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I feel like I'm killing my system trying to do this retarded swap trick in order to make that pseudosaturn cart.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
I've not made one but I have a chipped saturn if that helps. I could probably flash it for you if you can't get it. The swap trick is all timing. Swap while the laser is traveling the full inside to outside path and vice versa. The original disc is only read for the very outside ring of the disc.

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
I had one of those 4-in-1 carts and it died/corrupted when I tried to put some saves on it. Ended up just installing a multi-region bios on the board to go along with my Phantom mod chip.

Jibbajaba

10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've not made one but I have a chipped saturn if that helps. I could probably flash it for you if you can't get it. The swap trick is all timing. Swap while the laser is traveling the full inside to outside path and vice versa. The original disc is only read for the very outside ring of the disc.

I might just take you up on that, as I just don't have the patience to try and get it to work. Thanks, dude.

Geekman1222

Kula's Candy
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If your comfortable with SMD soldering you can do a regionfree bios as mentioned. I did mine a little fiddly to do but I like a challenge :D. Glad you fixed your issue though

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
48   0   0

I found that the key to the swap trick was timing based off the blinks of the activity light on my Saturn. There was some rule of thumb I'm sure you could google, like 'after the third blink' pull the disc.

It's OK for making a pseudo cart, but definitely seems like it could damage the system if you made a routine out of it.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
When I used to do the swap trick I would listen to how the laser sounded and when the disc slowed down. Usually when it clicked is when I would swap the disc.You have to swap pretty fast.

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Rating - 100%
340   0   0
Cough up the $50 for a JP Saturn you cheapskates! :lolz:

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know about recently but these were sold by a guy that's also a member over at pcenginefx. Username of choijimmy.

I can't exactly recall now but I want to say they were going for in the region of $25. Don't quote me on that though.

hslKxsQ.jpg

It does what you want right off the bat. No need for flashing or whatever else. It's been taken care of already.

xelement5x

Galford's Armourer
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
When I used to do the swap trick I would listen to how the laser sounded and when the disc slowed down. Usually when it clicked is when I would swap the disc.You have to swap pretty fast.

Yeah, the disc swap is really a bit of a honed skill. I did it for years with my unit when I was in college and the same one is still working great. Just don't act like Shrek during the swap and you'll be fine.