Joystick wiring question

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
If I made a custom joystick and wired the ground to a fifth button and then daisy chained the live wire of A to a fifth button and the live wire of B to the fifth button, and did the same thing with C and D to a sixth button, would that cause any problems? I want to have a 6 button joystick that can do all the Samurai Shodown 2 commands without having to press A+B and C+D.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

9479390_web1_Arson-print.jpg

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Your 5th and 6th buttons would need to have more than one isolated connection point for the live wires. Not sure if they make buttons like that. Otherwise your A+B and C+D circuits are connected, so the first four buttons won't function independently as desired.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Glue a small piece of wood/plastic, like part of a popsicle, stick over 2 buttons. You can then press either left or right side for independant button use and press the middle for both buttons at the same time.
Problem solved! 😎😅

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
if your goal is to do a hotkey such as A+B buttons in one, you can. However, you have to add diodes in the circuit to restrain the flow just to one way.

Otherwise, everytime you press either A or B, it'll assume it always as A+B.

Not sure if I was clear enough to you.

Last edited:

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
If you plan to use the stick on a MAME setup you just have to bind it properly. For example: let's say the first 4 buttons are A, B, C and D. You can then bind button 5 to both A and B besides their normal buttons. It should look something like A button (btn 1 or btn 5) and B button (btn 2 or btn 5), now when you press button 5 it will do A+B.

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I thought James was working on an adaptor for this...